MORE Uhaul leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
MORE Uhaul leaks

The most annoying and hard to resolve problems I've had with our Uhaul is the water leaks. Now I've found two more. First one is that in a rain with wind, water will leak in the louvered vent for the stove and drip onto the stove. That answers why it was so rusted. The second leak was water dripping through the center of the ceiling carpet about 12" to the rear of the roof vent. I assumed it was something to do with the solar panel, so I pulled the carpet down and planned to remove the panel and fiberglass over all the holes. Well today we are getting heavy rain here, and I find the leak is not related to the solar, but there appears to be a flaw in the roof seam as the leak is right in the center. For those who haven't had their carpet down, there is a reinforcing piece around the roof opening. On ours it is about 3/16" thick flat piece of fiberglass that extends 12" to the rear of the opening, and 3" to the sides and front. It is right at the rear of this reinforcing plate where the leak is. I'll probably still remove the solar panel, and repair the leak with resin and cloth. Any ideas where I can get a hood type vent cover for the stove vent? This rain will be a good test for my Scamp window installations, I'm still waiting for the weatherstrip to install the NOS left window. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
.......... First one is that in a rain with wind, water will leak in the louvered vent for the stove and drip onto the stove. That answers why it was so rusted. .......... Any ideas where I can get a hood type vent cover for the stove vent? ............ Bob
Bob, I did a Google Images search for "RV hood range vent" and quickly came up with possibilities. Here are a couple:

Exterior RV Range Hood Vent White

http://www.allrvstuff.com/ez-catalog/X325604/14
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

New York
Thanks Tom, I haven't done any searches yet. That first one looks like it would work, and the price is good. I just want to put a hood over the existing louver, and I think that one will do it, the measurements seem to be right.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Bob,

I had the same problems with my CT. I haven't addressed the roof leak since it is very small at the moment. I did take the solar panel off and patched the holes. For the stove hood vent I bought a vent from "R&P Carriages Trailer Sales" (eBay) that has worked quite well. It is very similar to a floor register (adjustable vanes) with a hood, and is lockable from the outside to help keep out rain and small critters. You can get either white or black, and if I remember correctly, cost around 20$
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

New York
We are just starting to get wind and rain from hurricane Sandy, and I'm finding there are still some leaks in our trailer. Water is leaking into 3 of the 4 corner storage compartments. The right front appears to leak by the lower door hinge, and also there seems to be a flaw in the fiberglass just up off the floor near the right front corner, so I'll have to lay some cloth and resin there. The left front compartment has a trickle of water coming down from up behind the wall, could originate at the marker light. The left rear leak is by the tail light, either around it or possibly at the marker light above it. Just a few days ago I found that the propane regulator was loose on the front of the trailer, two of the four mounting bolts were broke, so I fixed that and thought that might be a leak source. I just put some butyl tape over a couple of the marker lights, like a rain deflector hood to see if that stopped some of the leaks. We really like this trailer but these leaks are making me crazy, but I'm not giving up. I want them fixed before we head south in a few weeks!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob
We are just starting to get wind and rain from hurricane Sandy, and I'm finding there are still some leaks in our trailer. Water is leaking into 3 of the 4 corner storage compartments. The right front appears to leak by the lower door hinge, and also there seems to be a flaw in the fiberglass just up off the floor near the right front corner, so I'll have to lay some cloth and resin there. The left front compartment has a trickle of water coming down from up behind the wall, could originate at the marker light. The left rear leak is by the tail light, either around it or possibly at the marker light above it. Just a few days ago I found that the propane regulator was loose on the front of the trailer, two of the four mounting bolts were broke, so I fixed that and thought that might be a leak source. I just put some butyl tape over a couple of the marker lights, like a rain deflector hood to see if that stopped some of the leaks. We really like this trailer but these leaks are making me crazy, but I'm not giving up. I want them fixed before we head south in a few weeks!!!
You can thank Sandy for having the opportunity to run the leak tests. Here in Rhode Island the wind is such it can probably find the smallest opening.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We are just starting to get wind and rain from hurricane Sandy, and I'm finding there are still some leaks in our trailer. ..........
Bummer. If you lived closer I'd help you with a one inside and one outside with a garden hose attack on those leaks. Right now mine is under a cover that seems effective. Last outing it took in a tiny bit of water during two days of rain, though some of it had to be condensation just running off the walls and windows.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I took my hood right off and never replaced it. No real need, since all I have to do when cooking is to crack my ceiling vent. I sealed the back of the outside vent with good old duct tape from the vent hole in the wall (inside the camper). Then, I just put a very nice cork board over the hole. I like not hitting my head any more on the stove hood while I cook!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #9

New York
I bought a plastic vent hood that I'm going to install over the original louvered vent. Late yesterday I found a couple very small holes that are probably the source of water leaking into the right front storage compartment, one by the bottom door hinge, and one on the front almost at floor level. Someone has used this trailer who had no clue how to back up because it has had repairs done to both sides on the front apparently from jackknife damage and a puncture repair just below the rear window. Darn rental customers, when I worked for Ryder we had customers take roofs off trucks and all kinds of other damage!

Tags
leaks, uhaul