Mosquitoes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
One of the benefits of living in San Diego is not having to deal with mosquitoes. I haven't seen one in all of the years we've lived here. That is until our last outing at nearby Mount Laguna. We noticed a few but the folks camped next to us were really bothered by them and came over to ask if we had some mosquito repellent. Unfortunately we were just as unprepared as they were. So, a couple of days ago I bought a couple of those new OFF mosquito repellent devices that you clip onto your belt for storage in the trailer. Do these things really work? Would we be better off with something else?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
The working ingredient to look for on the label is DEET. The larger the % of deet the more effective it is. I bought some Muskol yesterday that has about 25%. Some of the others in the store had as little as 7%. More perfume than active stuff.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
My wife bought one but the fan is not working properly so we're taking it back. A couple days after she bought it Consumers Reports came out with a test, and they stopped testing it because of mosquito bites. Their recommendation was to use one of the higher rated sprays from their tests. Most had DEET, one had eucalyptus, and one had picaridin.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
plain old Cutters.. tried and true.

I have herds of them in my site. I use Cutters girly smelling spray on stuff and I also burn a cutters bucket candle. With the awning deployed, the candle works well and lasts a LONG time.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try rubbing , rubbing alcohol on your arms. It is said to be effective.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
My wife bought one but the fan is not working properly so we're taking it back. A couple days after she bought it Consumers Reports came out with a test, and they stopped testing it because of mosquito bites. Their recommendation was to use one of the higher rated sprays from their tests. Most had DEET, one had eucalyptus, and one had picaridin.
I just saw the Consumers Reports video on the device. Needless to say I'll be returning it.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
My wife felt like a mosquito magnet before she met me. She'd get dozens of bites while companions were left unmolested. Then she met me.

When she and I go for a walk at the nearby creek there are often clouds -- clouds -- of mosquitoes hovering over my head as we walk. Clouds of mosquitoes just looking for an opportunity to grab a tasty meal. I am a 5-star restaurant that attracts vampiric customers from neighboring states. When Lynne walks with me -- I kid you not -- she does not need DEET.

Ex-Officio makes a line of "Insect Shield" mosquito repellent clothing, everything from hiking pants with a mesh panel inset in the inseam to help keep you covered, yet cool, to socks and hats. They repel mosquitoes, ticks, and most other biting insects and work really well. Their clothing doesn't prevent the clouds from forming over my head, but it does mean that Lynne needs to wear repellent or her own.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I try not to use a lot of chemical anything. (try) and one very effective way for me is Avon Skin So Soft. As long as I rub it on, I don't have a problem. Yes you smell like SSS but better than Chemicals. I also keep a spray bottle of Listerine Mouth Wash (the old gold kind, not the new fresh scent ones) and spray it around the campsite, patio, picnic table, etc. Seems to keep them at bay. Of course I have never tried this amongst a herd of them but should work pretty well for that too.

At home I also have those Mosquito Plants, They are stinky but they do help.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Those mosquitos in California must be escapees from the world mosquito preserve aka Canada.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Watch it Bruce....we've only sent you our leftovers. WE CAN send you more if you like.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The list of most effective bug repellents by Consumers Reports are the following: #1, Off Deep Woods Sportsmen II; #2, Cutter Backwoods Unscented; #3, Off FamilyCare Smooth & Dry; #4, 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent 8; #5, Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus; #6, Natrapel 8 hour with picaridin; #7, Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard plus IR3535 Expedition SPF 30; #8, Bite Blocker Xtreme; #9, Cutter Skinsations Clean Fresh Scent; #10, Burt's Bees All Natural Herbal.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Those mosquitos in California must be escapees from the world mosquito preserve aka Canada.
The Air Force sent me to Alaska for a year and I had assumed Alaska was too cold for mosquitoes. When I got there, they issued us a head net and some military spec insect repellent with lots of DEET.
Couldn't understand why at first, but I quickly learned that they grow humongous mosquitoes in Alaska. I had to use a wide angle lens on my camera to take a picture of one to send to my wife; a standard lens couldn't fit it all in.
We had some fighters on alert status and once in a while our radar would pick up a bogey, and we would scramble the fighters in case they were Russian bombers, but most times it was just a flight of two mosquitoes.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
The Air Force sent me to Alaska for a year and I had assumed Alaska was too cold for mosquitoes. When I got there, they issued us a head net and some military spec insect repellent with lots of DEET.
Couldn't understand why at first, but I quickly learned that they grow humongous mosquitoes in Alaska. I had to use a wide angle lens on my camera to take a picture of one to send to my wife; a standard lens couldn't fit it all in.
We had some fighters on alert status and once in a while our radar would pick up a bogey, and we would scramble the fighters in case they were Russian bombers, but most times it was just a flight of two mosquitoes.

John
NO NO-----Those were Canadian Mosquitoes on a mission. They are our secret weapon.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I try not to use any chemical as the deet in these items is really annoying to me but when the bugs get so bad that i can't take it anymore i use Ben's 100 pump spray (contains 98.1% Deet) this has proven to work very good for me and lasts quite a long while for mosquito's and especially ticks when walking in the woods.
I will try the rubbing alcohol that was mentioned in the above post.....sure hope it works.
I also tried 2 bounce dryer sheets when the bee's where all over the table and it worked!
Joe
http://www.amazon.com/BENS-100-Max-Formula...423&sr=8-11
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Hi - I've been using a natural product "Citronella Insect Repellent, spray lotion", put out by Druide ,
It is a certified organic product, available for $8.29 (Canadian) in 130 ml size.
The label says its 10% essential oil of citronella; and 5% citronella terpene.
It really smells like citronella, and is very effective against mosquitoes (tested so far in Quebec, Ontario, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota).
I like it, but it does smell quite strongly.
For the English version of Druide's website, go to: http://www.druide.ca/Default.aspx?Langue=En
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
How come y'all ain't got a hockey team called the Skeeters?

Quote:
Watch it Bruce....we've only sent you our leftovers. WE CAN send you more if you like.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote