Most used features - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Most used features

After reading the "Do you use your shower" thread I searched for a thread that listed in order the features you actually used in your egg. I could not find one so I thought I would start one here.
Sometimes what we want when buying new is quite different than what we use when we have it for a few years.
Perhaps this would aid those currently shopping and forming their own opinions....
Here is my list in order:
The bed, led lights, refrigerator, Maxx Air Fan, storage, stove, dinette, solar, shower, toilet, and TV/DVDs. Because of our type and area of camping we did not get the AC. If we had it would probably go after the toilet because of the limited use it would see.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Easier to tell you what we dropped on our current (2nd) trailer.
Oven, Stove Vent, TV/antenna, Radio

Added: Solar, Cell/Hotspot booster, we pretty much have and use every other item you can get in one of these little trailers.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Upon arrival the first thing we do inside the trailer is open the jalousie windows. The last thing we do leaving is close them. We bought the trailer because it had jalousie windows on all four sides. No one else has that. Everything else was a compromise. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Not only have we actually used our shower, we really enjoy everything else on our little trailer. Air conditioner, dual propane tanks, furnace, larger 'fridge. I've also added a few gauges, and a 400 watt inverter.

I'm sometimes a little disappointed that we didn't get an awning, and sometimes glad we didn't get an awning. 8-)

Everything else has been grand!

-- Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Here's what we use and what I'd be reluctant to give up: being able to look out of all of our BIG windows; the toilet, shower and sink; hot water heater and furnace; fridge that we can run on propane or electric; stove and oven (baked potatoes, meat loaf, corn bread, baked squash, etc.-yum!); LED lights (including a very cool new dim-able one we just installed); fresh, grey and black water holding tanks; and our solar panel.

On my wish list: some way to have a larger bed and a bigger fridge that's up off the floor so I don't have to get down on my knees to get things out of it.

What we don't have and haven't yet missed: awning, screen room, microwave, TV, and (for the most part) air conditioner.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Kathy
Tell us about your dim-able LED.

About this thread: I use and enjoy every single feature.
But this is my 4th small molded fiberglass trailer and the unique feature I like the most is the fridge. It's the Dometic Americana with separate freezer door and works so much better than any other I've had I can't imagine doing without. I no longer carry a cooler or buy ice. I just make my own.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Here's what I don't use - my factory installed self-winding awning - It's stronger than me and I can't set it up. Wish it was a hand wind model.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Walt, I think it's this one: Thin-Lite LED112P Light Fixture

I fit perfectly in the space where an old ceiling fixture was. At its highest setting it puts out an incredible amount of light. It can be dimmed to a really low setting too and anywhere in between. I love it! I was always complaining that I didn't have good light for knitting, reading, or doing word puzzles, but not now!

Our local RV shop recommended it to us. Only regret is that we could have saved a little money if we'd looked for it online and installed it ourselves.

We've converted all of our lights to LED now. The upfront cost is a bit pricy, but they make a HUGE difference in energy consumption.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Because I rebuilt my Hunter from an almost empty shell, and had learned from about 5 previous FGRV's, I only built in the things that I knew I would be using. Here's that List

Fold Up Queen Bed/Dinette for 2
Pull out dining table
3 Way Dometic refrigerator
12 volt, 19" Flat Screen TV
DVD player
400 Watt inverter
Slide-out Dometic Loo
Tons of storage space
Floor washer lighting
7 LED fixtures + 86" LED lighting strip over bed/dinette area
Outside shower panel
Water heater
Furnace
Dual batteries w/ PD-4045 Power Center/Converter/smart charger
Digital Voltminder battery monitor
Charging center with 12VDC and USB charging ports
Combo s.s. Stove/sink
Additional pump and fixture for outside fresh water source
Affixed crank down rear stabilizers
No other frills..... LOL

In the first reiteration we discovered that the bathroom was to small as a bathroom so that was deleted and replaced with the above listed slid out loo and a lot of storage space.

With the exception of the outside shower panel, all of the above items are put into use on every outing, be it a weekend or a month long trip.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #10

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
M Scott, I'm interested in what you found difficult about your awning. I have a Casita 17SD on order along with an awning option that it's not too late to cancel, so could you explain (1) the difference between self-wind and hand-wind, and (2) what's difficult about it? I plan to solo full-time, and I'm not all that strong anymore. Thanks!

If others wish to chime in on anything else you don't or can't use due to physical limitations, please do! You would be helping save me money or trouble.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
M Scott, I'm interested in what you found difficult about your awning. I have a Casita 17SD on order along with an awning option that it's not too late to cancel, so could you explain (1) the difference between self-wind and hand-wind, and (2) what's difficult about it? I plan to solo full-time, and I'm not all that strong anymore. Thanks!

If others wish to chime in on anything else you don't or can't use due to physical limitations, please do! You would be helping save me money or trouble.
She had an eight foot Catalina 2500, They quit making them years ago, so no worries.
I have the Catalina and I think it was a great awning at half the price of the Fiamma.

Marilyn;
Give me twenty minutes to give you a seminar and I would set you on a path to enjoying the Catalina.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
for Evergreengirl.....

"On my wish list: some way to have a larger bed and a bigger fridge that's up off the floor so I don't have to get down on my knees to get things out of it."

I can see your fridge thing...I don't have that problem in the CB (don't have to bend down) but my "irritant" is how big (way too big) my fridge is....in such a small space the volume that the fridge occupies is a real waste IMO...the perfect solution (in my trailer) would have been a fridge in your size installed three feet off the floor.....

anyway, the point of this post is your wish for a larger bed....somebody did something about that in a G (in case you didn't see it)...I went and found a picture...it widens the dinette bed where you need it (at the head end)...and uses two of the rear cushions to fill in the space....you'd have to use your imagination on how to build the extension (wood part) so it collapses or folds (for easy stowage).....but it's a great solution...the OP called it "the elegant bed solution"....quite clever I thought....thought you might be interested....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
aaa.jpg   aaaa.jpg  

100_5408.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The items I use most frequently in my tailer and would not want one without are:

Fridge - that runs on propane with a freezer compartment
Hot water tank that runs on propane
Bathroom with built in toilet & shower
Built in tanks - grey, fresh and black.
2 Burner stove top
12 Volt roof fan
12 Volt plug & small inverter for it for 110 and USB charging.
Attached Awning
Screen Door
Front window rock guard
At least 2 jalousie windows or Maxair Window vents on at least 2 sliders.
LED lights
Built in Furnace - runs on propane
Permanently attached stabilizers
Battery monitoring system - does not need to be built in - could be just a 12 volt plug in.
Small Solar system of 45w or more.
A couple of 110 plugs in kitchen area.
A window that opens in the kitchen area and bathroom
Pull out cutlery drawer
A closest for hanging clothing
Lots of kitchen counter space on both sides - beside the sink and the stove.

Items that have added that I could live without out but make camping easier &/or more convenient:

Indoor Outdoor temp gage for the fridge so I know what the temp is without opening the fridge.
Outside 110 plug
Built in TV holder and tv cable and antenna wiring.

The one thing my current trailer does not have but the next one will have for sure & #1 reason why I would like to change trailers is:
A want a dinning table separate from the main bed! In my perfect world the table will seat 4.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #14

SW Virginia
Off hand I can't think of a fiberglass trailer 17' or less with a 4 seat dining table separate from the main bed. 2 seat yes, but not 4.

Walt
Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
sort of reminds me of a boat "saying"....

and it goes like:

"The perfect boat is one that drinks six, eats four and sleeps two!"
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Off hand I can't think of a fiberglass trailer 17' or less with a 4 seat dining table separate from the main bed. 2 seat yes, but not 4.

Walt
Your correct but the Escape 19' does!
As does the Escapes and the Bigfoot 21'
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:

Walt
The Escape 17A has a 4 person dinette and a main bed. Of course, you lose the bathroom. If you don't mind a wedge shaped bed, you can even do it with the bathroom in the 17B model. You'd lose the entry storage closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 17.png  
Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #18

SW Virginia
I'd never want to do without a bathroom, but I'd like to get a look at that 17B,
Thanks,

Walt
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I'd never want to do without a bathroom, but I'd like to get a look at that 17B,
Thanks,

Walt
Thom and Sue on the Escape Forum have such a modification. Here are a few photos and a link to their album:

Escape Trailer Owners Community - Bobccat's Album: It's all about size
Attached Thumbnails
modified 17B Bed.jpg   modified 17B dinette.jpg  

Thom and Sue - Modified 17B.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper

Only Camping in the South, this past winter...so far.....

Use a lot--
Queen memory foam bed that we do not have to fold up
2 person dinette
Microwave
Small, lightweight flat screen TV (but only for an hour before we go to bed)
Fridge-12volts, small, but useful!
Automatic LED solar light out side the door (we added--easy mod, Cooper AllPro #MSLED100)
All the lights--some LED, some not.
Closet to hang a few clothes
Blinds on all the windows
12volts from AGM battery

Use a little--
Toilet (but only at night when we don't want to hike to the campground facilities)
Water at the sink
Electric heater, built-in
Small lightweight DVD Player-- for an occasional movie

Don't use much--
Shower--we use the campground showers

Haven't used yet or haven't seen a need for yet---
Awning--don't have one yet, but we might
A/C
Hotplate
Propane heater
Propane stove
Water heater
Any propane

I'm thinking of buying a 12 volt TV with built-in DVD player5--any comments, recommendations?

2012 Eggcamper 17' (13' cabin)
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote