Moths to the flame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Moths to the flame

So what is it that drags us to these often ancient always small, fiberglass campers?

For me it's all I really need and they are so durable.. You?
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 71 Boler
I've liked the compact retro look since I was a kid. Now that I'm all growed up with a family and all, the practicality appeals to me too
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I always liked igloos. Now I have my own mobile one!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
To me it was the practical build and a size which permitted me to own a tow vehicle which was enjoyable and practical to drive when not towing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
They're truly portable... not just movable.

My sister hasn't used her 35' Class "A" Motorhome in years. It only moves when she has to mow around it. I take a minimum of 3 trips every year.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I wanted something small enough that I wouldn't need a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch any more. And with no wood in the sides or roof to rot. Something sturdy but light, and with less wind resistance than the old boxy trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
10-4 on the box a rotting lumber
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I wanted something tight and durable. The first time I was out in the Grasslands and a storm came up, with a hard wind and driving rain, I knew I had made the right decision.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
'Perfect' camper!

70s Trillium - no fronts on upper shelves, small fridge, nice nonelectric propane furnace, limited water system, - went to FL from Ontario 3 times and across Canada once.
93 - L'il Bigfoot 13 - limited room, nice 2 person front dinette, nice stowage, neat and compact - NO TOILET! Went to FL twice, across Canada, and some Ontario Parks.
94 - Starcraft Pop-up - low stowage, no toilet, flapping canvas, lots of room, WET canvas when raining, NO TOILET, fuss to put up - take down. Camped only in Ontario - mainly Ont. Parks. Packing up when wet a pain!
93 - Bigfoot 17CB - PERFECT! - toilet, hot water, 4 burner stove, oven, shower, toilet and on and on! Just at 3500lbs and tows well. Been to Dayton twice and Ontario Parks for 3 years. So far, the best!
These are what I owned, and used , and the Bigfoot, in my mind, is the perfect camper (so far).
2 complaints - beds are cramped for 2 ( You have to cuddle or each take an end!) and lots of windage - full 8' wide and high.
IMHO
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Tents taught me to appreciate anything dry. Being able to grab it and go with almost any vehicle and not having to have a truck is nice and I like the retro look they all have......they scream freedom.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
bruce---i echo your sentiments!! you have nailed exactly our feelings.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I had Serro Scotty unit yrs ago, then hard sided pop up Apache as needed more room for the kids, then back to tent due to economy,, then small pop up, then finally I arrived at my first Scamp for me as kids are grown.,the basic 16 ft Scamp, no toilet, or hot water. Graduated to Casita with hot water and shower and toilet (ahhhh, now that is good!) Wanting more space for hubby and dogs, I got a 21 ft Amerilite (Plenty of room for hubby, dogs, etc. but it is too big - my car sucks the gas at 7 MPG- can not afford to tow it). Now back to the new Scamp with just enough room for hubby and me. We can make due with dogs in their kennels in the walk way, but still looking for a 17 ft Casita when I can afford one. It must have the twin bed option though as hubby and I need our own space.
Yep, I love the fiberglass eggs best of all. They are easy to pull and I can do it on my own.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I have always liked getting the most out of something little. I have driven small hatchbacks for years. Each car I have owned has had a tow hitch. I can put a little cargo platform on it (like I just did for traveling to the inlaws' for Christmas), move furniture, appliances, or lumber with my cargo trailer, or tow my Scamp for a camping trip!

The Scamp is similar. I can go camping with my wife, the dog, and our baby boy and still get about 25 MPG. I considered a popup, but they tend to be a little on the heavy side for a class 1 hitch.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
it's getting your investment back IF you even decide to sell that gets me. and every little improvement I make to it just adds more equity.

I try to do something every year... next is a frame reinforcement.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Here's a pic. of our first& last fiberglass trailers. Had to sell one when we got the other. Got our investment back in spades too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
77 Boler@ Emily.jpg   pardon my behind.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
We have had 3 pickup campers, two motor homes, and three travel trailers. and the 16' Casita with the Jeep Cherokee is the easiest unit to travel in we have ever had. We also get 16mpg towing and 20 with out the trailer. Last summer exploring with the trailer parked, and driving the Jeep was great.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote