Motivation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Motivation

About a year ago a member of this forum told me how to write a book. Basically create a habit, get up and write every morning. I did it and in a matter of months had the first draft of the book.

Her marvelous and simple suggestion led me forward. I regularly read Jame Clear who regularly writes a column I religiously read and follow. This week's column is on motivation and gives good advice on moving forward.

His good advice may help you. There is no charge for following his writings.

Motivation: The Scientific Guide on How to Get and Stay Motivated

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
About a year ago a member of this forum told me how to write a book. Basically create a habit, get up and write every morning. I did it and in a matter of months had the first draft of the book.

Her marvelous and simple suggestion led me forward. I regularly read Jame Clear who regularly writes a column I religiously read and follow. This week's column is on motivation and gives good advice on moving forward.

I liked it, thanks Norm. There are also links to other great inspirational papers at the end. Sometimes we slowly get worn down without even realizing it. Then we get used to it and after a while it becomes normal. We can all use a reality check and certainly some inspiration. It was a nice wake up call.
Thanks Again,
Marky

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #3

Florida
Markley,

Somewhere on Jim Clear's page you can sign up to receive monthly items.

I find him insightful.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Norm

If you ever want to publish (publicly or privately) or simply put your writings on paper in a book form, you can self-publish at very low cost from Lulu (www.lulu.com). It is a POD (printer on demand), no minimum order (you can have only one copy printed if you want or as many as you want). They only print when they receive an order.
About 5 years ago I published a 225-page book on my family history (10 year research), published it on Lulu. Worked great, I allowed my family members to order their own copy for about $6 each. Great quality, it was a 8.5 X 5.5 soft cover, but they offer many formats, paper quality and binding options.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Markley,

Somewhere on Jim Clear's page you can sign up to receive monthly items.

I find him insightful.

Found it, thanks Norm.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
When will we be able to purchase/read your book, Norm?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Florida
Gilda, my goal is to have it ready as a gift for Ginny for Christmas. I gave her the first installment for her birthday.

As you may know we've been on the road for 7 months and, maybe it's age but I find myself more tired from my travels than I used to find myself. Today we did 165 miles and I napped for 2 hours this afternoon. My habit of writing in the morning isn't holding up. We just dashed up to MN to see a sick friend, though I loved the visit and the area, I found myself more tired. We're going thru NC now for our annual physical. He's already told us our numbers look good, as well we've lost more weight.

Once in FL I'll be on track with my daily writing and will work very hard to meet the schedule.

My goal is not financial.

Thanks for the thoughts a. ND I let people know it's ready.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Sometimes we slowly get worn down without even realizing it. Then we get used to it and after a while it becomes normal.
Interesting!

I watched the documentary Janis: Little Girl Blue recently and a line towards the end of the movie jumped out at me. She said: "Who you are, is what you settle for, you know?"

A very profound comment when you stop to think about it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #9

Florida
"Who you are is what you settle for..." that's certainly a good part of life. Life is a series of choices, make good ones.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #10

Florida
As to choices and poverty, finish high school, get a job, any kind of job, get married before having children, and be a law abiding citizen and the very high probability is you will not be in poverty regardless of race. Choices do and can make a difference.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
I regularly read Jame Clear who regularly writes a column I religiously read and follow. This week's column is on motivation and gives good advice on moving forward.

Thanks for this reference Norm. Some new wisdom and good reminders of stuff probably known but lost in all the dusty boxes up in the mental attic. Glad to know you are moving forward on the writing project.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

Florida
I admit to a secondary project, trying to understand the generally unstated financial state of the nation. It takes work because the reality is rarely reported. If anyone has good source of info please PM me and do not make it a forum topic.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:
As to choices and poverty, finish high school, get a job, any kind of job, get married before having children, and be a law abiding citizen and the very high probability is you will not be in poverty regardless of race. Choices do and can make a difference.

Amen!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #14

Texas
Quote:
I admit to a secondary project, trying to understand the generally unstated financial state of the nation. It takes work because the reality is rarely reported. If anyone has good source of info please PM me and do not make it a forum topic.

You should start a blog.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #15

Florida
Markey,

Thanks for the thought about the blog.

My focus has become the two of us. Ginny and I are still having a wonderful time. Personally we're just really happy and every day feel blessed, more so in the south where clerks will end a sale with "have a blessed day".... and I'm barely religious and love it.

I'm just trying to be prepared, though not in the sense of the traditional preppers, though our trailer is always ready. As well our Florida home is well stocked, due to potential severe weather and the general national condition.

I've been reading a few public, as well as government data sites, for sources of information. The differences are interesting. The government stats people are understandablely not truly independent. The third source, and it should be independent is the media.... enough said.

Of all of possessions my favorite is our little Scamp (though I'm sure i'd love any other little trailer), mostly for what it allows us to do.

We left eastern TN this week, only because we have our annual physical and visit with our favorite doctor. We really liked eastern TN.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Markey,

My focus has become the two of us. Ginny and I are still having a wonderful time. Personally we're just really happy and every day feel blessed, more so in the south where clerks will end a sale with "have a blessed day".... and I'm barely religious and love it.

I'm just trying to be prepared, though not in the sense of the traditional preppers, though our trailer is always ready. As well our Florida home is well stocked, due to potential severe weather and the general national condition.

I've been reading a few public, as well as government data sites, for sources of information. The differences are interesting. The government stats people are understandablely not truly independent. The third source, and it should be independent is the media.... enough said.

Of all of possessions my favorite is our little Scamp (though I'm sure i'd love any other little trailer), mostly for what it allows us to do.

We left eastern TN this week, only because we have our annual physical and visit with our favorite doctor. We really liked eastern TN.

My wife and I feel the same way Norm. We're empty nesters now and would like to spend more time traveling together. We just came back from a 2400 mile trip with our Casita.
I'm also the type that likes to be prepared. We live one hundred miles from the coast in south Texas, but the hurricanes are 400 miles wide and are moving. We've had 36" of rain from hurricanes and tornados hit us. Florida just got hit of hope your home is ok.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #17

Florida
Florida continues it's lucky streak, Matthew did not make landfall in Fl, actually we have still havecnot had a category 3 or greater make landfall in 11 years in the USA, it's driving the oral warmers crazy. They all predicted bigger more frequent hurricanes.. Oops.

Our place just had a little rain, here on NC they had 20 inches.

We've been out 7 month's, FL to NL, NH to Maine, then NH thru PA and NY to MN, to TN and NC and back to FL. Well over 10,000 miles though I did not keep track. Still waiting to figure out next year. It looks like NL, MT, AZ... Time will tell.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Florida continues it's lucky streak, Matthew did not make landfall in Fl, actually we have still havecnot had a category 3 or greater make landfall in 11 years in the USA, it's driving the oral warmers crazy. They all predicted bigger more frequent hurricanes.. Oops.
I gather you have no grand children?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #19

Texas
Motivation

Quote:
Markey,

My wife and I feel the same way Norm. We're empty nesters now and would like to spend more time traveling together. We just came back from a 2400 mile trip with our Casita.
I'm also the type that likes to be prepared. We live one hundred miles from the coast in south Texas, but the hurricanes are 400 miles wide and are moving. We've had 36" of rain from hurricanes and tornados hit us. Florida just got hit, hope your home is ok.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #20

Florida
Grandkids and kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I gather you have no grand children?
Glenn we have 5 grand children, 3 were in nearby Maine and 2 in the Seattle area.

Both the Grand kids and our kids are happy for these two travelers. They see us as a happy couple, enjoying life. Both of our kids own or have owned fiberglass trailers, both have gone on fiberglass rallies with us (Oregon and PEI) and both are also members of Escapees. Their goals are to retire early and travel.

Grandkids have traveled with us, have come and stayed with us for extended periods when we were home for the summer and we have traveled to them when they were in college (we've been doing this for 16 years).

Virtually all the relatives can see we're having a good time and understand our passion for travel and each other. Now that we have a home base in FL all our siblings and children have come to spend extended time with us in FL.

Our lives now contain no mandatory birthday time, or too busy holiday time however this does not preclude us being there for them when ever they really need us.

Life is short and we've decided it's our chance to have a good time. In general all the relatives are happy for us, including the grandkids. We are good models of two people in love, and two people having fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16