Mourning the Cute factor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
another post reminded me of this...

There is ONE thing I really notice that has changed since my 13.. I generally always got someone that would ask to see it in a campground, and they cooed about how "cute" it was, because it was so small.

With my 17, I rarely get more than a passing glance. It is just another white blob on the landscape.

Not that I am an attention freak or anything, but I find I spend less time talking with folks about the rig, and more time camping... I still get folks stopping by to ask about the solar panels in the same qtys tho.

anyone else notice this when they moved to a bigger rig?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have not been out with our UHaul yet, but I have commented to several people that this would probably be the case. We were chased down into a parking lot to give a tour with the Burro once. Although we did get a lot of looks driving it home. First trip is Nauvoo, so we will see.

CindyL
Old 05-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I dunno. Although my 16 foot isn't a wide body Burro, it's still bigger than the 13's and I get WAY more attention that I often like. For some reason, I think mine looks a lot smaller than it actually is.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On several occasions with the 16' Scamp, I came back to the campground to have strangers wandering around the trailer oo-ing and ahhh-ing. It was a little unnerving actually.

Neither the Burro 17 nor the Bigfoot 17 have gotten that kind of attention.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I think i got more 'lookie loos" with the 13 Scamp more than my other ones... I did give a tour with the 5er tho the last time I was camping... most people really look as they walk by and are commenting....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
There seems to be two mind sets when people look at my trailer. One is from those that have huge RV's and other types of trailers. You know the 30' - 40' types. They seem to feel sorry I'm am able to only afford the smallest trailer they have ever seen, some ever seem a bit snobbish or laugh to each other. The other group is the personalities that 'get it' and are fascinated by the prospects of enjoying camping and traveling without hauling and spending large amounts of energy and money.

When I registered the trailer at the California DMV office, the person who came out to check the trailer out couldn't believe there could be anything smaller than a 17' trailer.

Myself when I see the 'new breed' of RV's with huge motor homes also towing another trailer behind them (as large as my 17") filled with more possessions, I get exhausted. Then I wonder what the attraction is to haul so many physical possessions around when you head out.

I guess we each have our own comfortable balance.......
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I would think that a 13 ft'r would catch the eye quicker than a 17 ft, which is what we have. Tell ya, there have still been plenty of times people have stopped us and asked questions about our rig. One guy even jumped in before I had a chance to even open the van door and set up the trailer for the night. Guess he didn't wan't us to leave before he could get a tour !!

I think that the whole idea of a fiberglass trailer is so unique that many want to know more about them. It used to be that one could drive down the highway and never see one anywhere. Now, coming back home from a quick 5 day vacation, in S W Colorado, I saw no fewer than 5 on the highway. These rigs seem to be more popular than they used to be with an increase which is more visible. So maybe, if there is a decline in curiousity, it could be that people have already been familiarized with the concept. Far as I am concerned - fiberglass rules ! Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #8

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
My neighbore (e intended), when he saw my little rig: "Oh, well, we all have to start SOMEWHERE!"

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
In my 17' Casita I got a lot of attention but when I moved to a 21' Bigfoot it goes un-noticed until people see inside it. This is not bad as I don't go camping to show off my trailer. I mostly use it as a base camp for fishing, hunting and trail riding. In fact I sort of wish it blended into the countryside a bit better when it is parked by itself in the woods.

When I leave a trailer at a base camp on a hunting lease I try to park it behind some trees or other cover out of sight. I sometimes leave it for a couple of weeks at a time during the season and I really prefer no one moves into it or sets up a drug lab while I am gone. The Casita spent a good bit of time on a lease. I haven't left the Bigfoot by itself yet since I have only had it a few months. It is a 2005 model and looks pretty new. In a few years when it starts getting a little beat up looking I will probably paint it in a Camo pattern.

Texas Charles
Charles Richerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
The 13ers do attract attention, and we are frequently approached by gawkers in campgrounds and on the road. "Cute" is the most common comment, followed by "do you really sleep in there?" and "You're kidding - they put in a solar panel back in 1985?"

We really don't mind giving tours, and most visitors are amazed by the inside space and brightness, head room and amenities. But then, there was one wise guy (there's always one) who said, "Nice Porta-Potty."
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Gina,
I'm here to help you dear.

Just bring that old common 17 footer over here and I will trade you my 81' 13 footer.
How's that for helping out?
Anything for you Gina....
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Gina I am in the same boat with you. The little "Brown Egg" was a must see where ever I went. The Casita does not have it's charm. What counts is I luv the Casita and all the creature comforts. I am the one that stays in her.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
It's quite nice to "stand out" in a crowd - also a great way to make new friends.

We still travel in a 1978 VW Westfalia and everyone wants to see the "green hippy mobile".

I love it and talking to new people.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
My neighbore (e intended), when he saw my little rig: "Oh, well, we all have to start SOMEWHERE!"

Art
My Mom (trying to be nice) said, "Well, it's a lot bigger inside than it is on the outside!" It's hard to explain, and maybe shouldn't be tried, even, that you LIKE the small size.

Hey, I have an idea: let's call them eco-trailers! Like, we're all, "I COULD have a huge big Land-Yacht but CHOOSE not to, because I CARE about carbon emissions" and Global Warming and the melting of the Ice Caps and so forth.

I mean, it is true. Doesn't matter that most of us fell in love with our little FGRVs before there was An Inconvenient Truth.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
The first time we took our Scamp 5th wheel to Big Bend National Park, Texas we parked in the RV parking lot among many 30' to 40' motorhomes and trailers. Many times we overheard people talking about our "cute little trailer".

We've also had folks request to look inside and ask lots of questions. They see we have all the necessities in a smaller package. Perhaps we have helped them decide to downsize.

Nita & Marty
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Think Red Paint

Duane
Duane Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Think..

firetruck, towed by a red ant...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

The Fiber Stream's retro styling kind of enhances it's "Cute" factor. The "Mello Yellow" gelcoat also has something to do with it. Makes it look older than it really is, like a derrogotype photo looks really old, even if it were recently done.

Loose the bright white, and you'll draw more attention.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
The Fiber Stream's retro styling kind of enhances it's "Cute" factor. The "Mello Yellow" gelcoat also has something to do with it. Makes it look older than it really is, like a derrogotype photo looks really old, even if it were recently done.

Loose the bright white, and you'll draw more attention.
I think this is true. Our light blue robins egg boler was practically a curse in and of itself... It's like a big sign that says "please come over and tell me about how your family had one of these when you were a kid"... One of these few reasons I'm glad to have unloaded that curse on Yuri/Karen/kids... I'm relieved to hear the 17, which we will probably paint white or some off shade, will practically blend in to the sea of other trailers and people will take no notice of us....
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #20

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
That is all we heard today "Thats so cute". But we do stand out just a bit with the red trailer and all the strawberries.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote