Moving away from TT/TV. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
George

For the record I LOVE my Sprinter and it has been almost completely trouble free for 160K so far.

Oddly I have an issue right now which is really my first but I am fairly sure thus far that I have gotten some bad fuel?
I will be draining the tank and replacing Filters this week to see if that does the trick.

It is certainly tough to argue about the utility of the platform though as you say and I can tow with it all day long too.
This last week I have had to work out of my PU Truck again and am reminded clearly why I like the Sprinter so much.

I also really like the seating position and miss it when I am in another vehicle too.

Mine is a T1N model and much simpler than the newer version you are looking at but Mercedes has never followed anyone as far as technology and quality goes.

Please stick around enough to keep us informed about your progress?

Ed

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It will be interesting to watch your build progress and see the final result. No reason to be a stranger around here. We square pegs may not fit perfectly into the egg shaped holes, but we can still have fun together.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Thank you for good words. My plan is to have modularized design with possible transformation from the passenger to RV and back. All floor mounted modules are going to be mounted to the factory seat mounts or within each other. Upper overhead cabinets will be mounted pretty much permanently with FIBERGLASS bar insulation between 80/20 Al frame and chassis.

A very easy removal of the module #3 will allow me to reinstall the factory middle seat give me the 8 passengers van. The Webasto Dual Top water heater and furnace combo, 2 AGM 6V batteries, fresh water and gray water tanks are going to be mounted below the floor.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
Lowe modules.JPG   Upper  modules.JPG  

Galley module 10 17 2012.JPG   Galley module 8020 10 17 2012.JPG  

Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Perhaps I am not reading it correctly but based on this Toyota site factory equipped towing capacity is listed and available for V6 only. Thank you for your comment, small pick-up TV was not my favored option anyway.
Toyota Tacoma Truck - 2013 Performance & Specifications
The chart shows the tow capacity for both the 4 and 6 cyl trucks as 3500 pounds without a tow package (listed as
"Standard" in the chart).
The 4 cyl does not have the V6 tow package available so there is a dash where that would be shown. The 6 cyl is rated at 6500 pounds with the V6 tow package.

My owners manual confirms the 3500 pound tow rating.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
The chart shows the tow capacity for both the 4 and 6 cyl trucks as 3500 pounds without a tow package (listed as
"Standard" in the chart).
The 4 cyl does not have the V6 tow package available so there is a dash where that would be shown. The 6 cyl is rated at 6500 pounds with the V6 tow package.

My owners manual confirms the 3500 pound tow rating.
Thank you for clarifying it. I am sure it is more important for others so my unintended misinformation will not cause problems.

I am very happy with my decision and giving the deposit yesterday ended the selection process.

Some of my confusion came about as I was trying to spec-out the Tacoma and did not see a factory hitch option on the less upgraded models. I don’t remember the price exactly but I needed to go to V6 in upper twenties to get a factory hitch which with a trailer was getting closer to my ideal target of converted Sprinter.

George.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #20

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is supposed to have a diesel again soon. The one they put in the Europe models supposedly gets 33 mpg. Even upper 20s would make it a contender for me.
Is this really chicken and the egg dilemma or profit for the oil companies? The pollution control blame is marketed as the common wisdom of "everybody knows" or "people say" if you want to use a very sophisticated journalistic lingo.

".........Several years and at least two Chrysler corporate owners ago, I spoke with a Chrysler powertrain executive who told me that the main obstacle hindering broader use of diesel in the United States was oil refiners, not pollution controls........”

Read more: Will Jeep lovers blaze a new trail for diesel?

George.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Is this really chicken and the egg dilemma or profit for the oil companies? The pollution control blame is marketed as the common wisdom of "everybody knows" or "people say" if you want to use a very sophisticated journalistic lingo.

".........Several years and at least two Chrysler corporate owners ago, I spoke with a Chrysler powertrain executive who told me that the main obstacle hindering broader use of diesel in the United States was oil refiners, not pollution controls........”

Read more: Will Jeep lovers blaze a new trail for diesel?

George.
I wonder what criteria this powertrain executive based this theory upon. Since it requires more oil to produce a gallon of diesel fuel than a gallon of gasoline, I can't imagine how the refineries expected to gain.
EXCEPT MAYBE - more money was to be made as it cost more money to refine oil into gasoline than to diesel fuel due to a more extensive refining processes. ???????
But hallelujah, clean diesels are a reality. Just bring them to our shores.