Moving plans have shifted gears! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
hmmmmmm that's something to think about
We would have plenty of room for FG in the yard. I wonder what the neighbors would think. I could see that being a fun way to get some work done and meet other eggers.
Sounds like Huckleberry Finn in the making! Tell everyone to bring paint brushes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Sounds like Huckleberry Finn in the making! Tell everyone to bring paint brushes
I can see it now. Dozens of eggers with dozens of paint brushes and dozens of different cans of leftover paint . . .
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I wonder what the neighbors would think.
Hope they don't put a call into Quantico saying a new cult has just moved in.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Looks like an episode of "flip this house"! Look at it as an adventure, be patient, all the work will be worth it. I have done many remodels in my life, and never regretted one. You have a nice looking home to start with.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I know this is a little off in left field, but I was concerned about trying to use the bathroom, the septic system has been sitting unused for at least 10 years. Should we be overly cautious about trying to use it with out getting it inspected first? We planned to get a box of septic enzymes to pour down with some water first to get it primed up again. We just don't know much about septic systems from living in the city. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Sorry for the content.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
I know this is a little off in left field, but I was concerned about trying to use the bathroom, the septic system has been sitting unused for at least 10 years. Should we be overly cautious about trying to use it with out getting it inspected first? We planned to get a box of septic enzymes to pour down with some water first to get it primed up again. We just don't know much about septic systems from living in the city. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Sorry for the content.
I would get the tank pumped and cleaned. They will be able to tell if that part of system is OK during the service. The leach field sitting idle is not a problem and should be OK if it was in good condition before.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi April - you would be wise to take Steve's advice about pumping out the septic tank right away. Then you KNOW you have either a "clean slate" as you begin your work on the house, or a starting point for septic repairs.

Can't offer much advise about jump-starting a dormant septic tank, but I'll add a few insights from another "city girl" who went rural:

* As when using the holding tanks in our Eggs, go easy on the TP!
* If you have or plan to install a garbage disposal, be really careful what you put down there - some things can really clog up the process. A well-tended compost pile can be handy here.
* When doing laundry, spread the water usage out over a period of time, and use 'green' products to preserve the enzyme balance in the tank.

We wish you safe travels to TN and lots of memory-making successes with the renovation. We, too, look forward to a photo chronicle of the project!
Take care, L 'n D
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Garbage disposal is one of the worst things you can do to a septic system besides using lots of bleach...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
If the septic system was unused for the last 10 years, the tank may be dry. Dry "stuff" does not pump.

It could cost you a lot of labor dollars for the septic service folks to find the tank. I suggest finding the tank clean out ports first.

Open the clean out ports (typically at the ends of the tank). If the tank is is full of liquid, call the clean out service. If it is dry, or the liquid is low, you can estimate (guess) how full of "stuff" the tank is. If there is plenty of room, this is an expense that you can delay for a year or so.
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
If the septic system was unused for the last 10 years, the tank may be dry. Dry "stuff" does not pump.

It could cost you a lot of labor dollars for the septic service folks to find the tank. I suggest finding the tank clean out ports first.

Open the clean out ports (typically at the ends of the tank). If the tank is is full of liquid, call the clean out service. If it is dry, or the liquid is low, you can estimate (guess) how full of "stuff" the tank is. If there is plenty of room, this is an expense that you can delay for a year or so.
Good advice on locating the tank access lids and uncovering them before calling the septic service. They'll probably charge you an hourly rate for something you can easily do yourself.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Having a modern septic tank that meets codes (has the pump out places, etc) may not be the case with whatever tank is in place there.

The old part of our house was built in the early 50's. When we moved in about 70 we did not even try to find the old tank, just knew it needed replacing. Now the rules here are different than they were in 70.

There could be a "cement" type stuff in there or dry as someone else suggested.

Try to find the tank, carefully dig around to find out what type of tank. I suspect our original tank had a thick oak top and I keep thinking sometime mowing the lawn we will fall through. We know about where our old tank is because there was a place beyond it that had a depression in the ground where drainage fed lots of weeds.

I hope your tank is the real type and that you can get it functioning. They should be pumped out every year to remove solids. We neglected to do this for many, many years (that is why I know about "cement").

We have never used any types of additives.

I wonder if any of the neighbors would have been around years ago and have some knowledge of what type of tank and where it is located. Out here where I live I do have some knowledge of what my neighbors have.

Good luck.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
my experience in rural arkansas most are leach lines with no access. Your shower drains will get slower and slower to drain, then most folks call to get another leach line installed.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I didn't know the term leach line so looked for info. Found this interesting place that explains lots of stuff. Oops. We aren't suppose to have the salt brine from our water softener go into our system. Where exactly it is suppose to go does cause a problem.

Hope this link goes where I mean for it to go.

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/emd/envhealt...ner_septic.html

Nancy

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #34

We do know the septic was in good shape when Kirk's Great Aunt passed. She lived there alone, so it was not getting over used. I imagine it would be pretty dry by now. We do have an idea of where the tank is, so finding it shouldn't be difficult. This time around it would get minimal use if any at all. We will look into getting the tank inspected before the bathroom gets used full time. Thank goodness we have a coleman potty that can be our back up solution. We are getting packed up now and plan to roll out around 4am. Thanks everyone for all the advice!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If all else fails to find the tank, they have a radio device (I call it the "flush bug") that they flush down the toilet and then start looking around with a directional antenna -- Invented by a realtor here in Washington who was tired of the location of the tank holding up sales completions.

Helped septic guys find a friend's tank after much fruitless searching, including with metal detector (Concrete lid had rebar in it) -- Complicated system and the lid turned out to be three feet down! After pump-out (guy had to climb in and chip some of the stuf out with shovel), they put an extension top on the tank to bring the lid up much nearer to the ground surface.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #36

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Ditto on spreading out loads of laundry, regular pumpings, etc.
A mix of brown sugar and yeast works well as a substitute for the septic system enzyme stuff
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #37

Well, we are home! The house was still in pretty good shape over all. We got a bunch of the over growth cut back, and I cleaned some, but there is still a lot of work to be done to get it ready for living in. The floor is sagging a little, but nothing we can't live with until it gets fixed. Luckily the living room is wood instead of wall paper like the rest of the house, so it was in the best shape of all the rooms and the carpet in there vacuumed up nicely. We had the elec. turned on, and didn't seem to have any problems with the septic. We decided to wait until the next visit this summer, to turn on the water in case they have another freeze. Most of our work was done outside while the weather was nice. Here are a few pictures of the outside work we did...

Click image for larger version

Name:	before_1_small.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	18373

Name:	after_1_small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	18374
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #38

Name:	before_2_small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	18375

Name:	after_2_small.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	18376
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #39

Name:	before_3_small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	18377

Name:	after_3_small.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	18378
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
It is shapping up. Inch by inch it's a cinch! WOW! I noticed the iris's already up and green! We have 6 inches of snow still!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote