Mt. Rushmore - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We would like to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore. For those of you that have gone there, when is the best time of the year to be there? We live in Ohio. Are there any points of interest along the way that your can suggest? Once there, any suggestions for camp grounds? Thanks for your suggestions. Terry
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I stayed at Whistlers Gulch very nice place. http://whistlergulch.com/camping/index.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	742563_12_large.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	26648

Click image for larger version

Name:	a_close_up_of_the_faces.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	26650
Attached Thumbnails
1.1245535909.the_campground_in_deadwood.jpg  
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
We would like to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore. For those of you that have gone there, when is the best time of the year to be there? We live in Ohio. Are there any points of interest along the way that your can suggest? Once there, any suggestions for camp grounds? Thanks for your suggestions. Terry
Hi Terry,
We visited Mnt Rushmore last year while travelling eastbound.
For info take a look at our weblogue, chapters 17 & 18
http://biod.info/2009na
Have a great time :-)
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I would not go before May. It is good all summer long. Stop and see the Badlands and also stop and see Wall Drug at Wall, SD. The attraction of Wall Drug is not the stuff they sell but the display of historic photographs of frontier life in SD.

I would get a map of Black Hills National Forest and do some boondocking there.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Good site for maps
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/maps/
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
Good site for maps
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/maps/

Wall Drugs is interesting and is basicly at the entrance to Badlands. I like the "wild west" history in those parts. Definitely recommend the Black Hills......and don't forget
CRAZY HORSE. A very interesting project not far from Mount Rushmore. Mount Rushmore tends to be a bit crowded at times and not inexpensive. The last time there we stayed in a park on the edge of Rapid City (can't recall the name). Anyway we plan another visit on our way home from BC in May.....after picking up our 17B.
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We went to South Dakota last summer. In the Mount Rushmore area we camped at Custer State Park, Blue Bell Campgrounds. We found it to be a great home base for seeing Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, etc.

http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/Regions/Custer...s/BBellCG35.JPG
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
We stayed at the KOA while there. Wasn't exceptional but close and gave us a chance to catch up on laundry while in the area.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Terry Just a couple of suggestions. The Black Hills are so chock full of interesting destinations that it will difficult to narrow them down to time available. A couple of activities/destinations I would recommend are the train ride from Hill City to Keystone. The Crazy Horse Memorial is also a must see. The Hart Ranch, just outside of the Black Hills, is a great campground, however it is on the plains and is not as scenic as some of the other places recommended. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have gone to Mt. Rushmore in mid-March for the last 3 years and will be there again in 2 weeks. You risk the weather being bad (knock on wood), but it is less crowded.
If you have time, drop by Hot Springs. They have a picturesque downtown and one of the nicest small-town museums I have seen.
Unless you like the atmosphere and/or make your reservations way ahead of time, avoid the Sturgis motorcycle rally dates.

CindyL
Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #11

Keep the suggestions coming. Thank you so much. I am so glad Cindy mentioned Sturgis. I would have totally forgotten about that event. Looks like we will have plenty to see. Can't wait to get this trip together. Terry
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Look into a day trip to Devils Tower, or make a run over and spend the night. Nice KOA there as well as a National Park campground.
While in Rapid and looking for free entertainment, fish hatchery is interesting, if you have little ones, take them to Story Book island park, also free. Think about going to the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore, it's pretty cool. We go over every year to Rapid or Devils Tower.

We usually go in June or July.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I actually have never been there when it's bad. Even less than desirable weather is no problem. It's beautiful! There is tons to see and do. Of course the weeks before and after Sturgis can be interesting and crowded. Depends if you like the biker freaks, cause you will definetly see them. Most are great, but as with all there are some that are overboard. So if your taking children/grandchildren I would suggest staying away during those times. But other than that anytime during the summer is great. As Lee suggested Hart Ranch is beautiful park (but it's a members only park) Only way in is with a member. But I truly didn't see any bad parks there. Many of the ones in Custer are Beautiful campgrounds. But with some hookup limitations. Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I'll second Devil's Tower and Crazy Horse.
The walk, (short hike?), around Devil's Tower is very enjoyable and doesn't take as long as you might guess; but watch out for the poison ivy, it seemed quite thick when we were there. Be sure and take binoculars, my family spent several hours just watching the climbers - it's amazing that no one has been killed doing the climb - at least that was the case a few years ago when we visited.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
My two cents.

As you leave Mt Rushmore ask yourself if this architecture suits the environment. Ask yourself if this style would be offensive to the Native American people who view this land as sacred.

I much prefer Crazy Horse, even if an Indian would never point at something. The museum is very nice and the place doesn't feel like something from Stalin's Russia.

Enjoy your trip.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #16

Trailer: Compact Jr
Drop by the Black Hills Institute, in Hill City, to see an enormous number of dinosaur skeletons. Fascinating.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
You may find this website helpful in planning your trip: http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/roadtripbh-info.html
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Think Bison, a neat area to see them.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...02.cfm#23718902
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #19

Wow, I am really getting excited about this trip. It sounds like there are so many things to see and do. We may just have to consider getting to the area and not worry about what to see along the way. Thanks again for all the advice you are giving. Terry R
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita
Terry, if you have never been....you'll love it.....
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote