Museums Stops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Museums Stops

Some you might check out if their subjects interest you. In South Bend, IN you can visit the Studebaker museum. In Auburn, IN you can visit the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg museum. Both car museums are in their former factories. In Elkhart, IN you can visit the RV museum. Other possibilities are the Wright-Patterson air museum in Dayton, OH, the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, MI, The missile silo in Green Valley, AZ, and the list is endless. I expect there may be many additions to my starter list.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'd like to see all those. Several times we have been to the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, right along I95 at Pooler GA, near Savannah. My father was in the Eighth, flew as a B 17 navigator. Didn't stop yet this year, maybe on the way back home. Last time I was there they were restoring a B 17.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If you are in Alberta, Canada, you should check out the Reynolds museum. Mr Reynolds collected cars and aircraft and restored them. They offer rides in the cars as well.
Reynolds-Alberta Museum
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Petersen Auto Museum, for the first time, is offering behind the scenes From Saturday, December 15 through Sunday, January 6
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In Kokomo, IND. the Elwood Haynes (car maker and inventor of Stellite) Museum and the Automotive Heritage Museum. I haven't seen the 110-car collection of the Heritage Museum but the tiny Elwood Haynes collection, housed in his former home, is worth a visit by those with an interest in the early automotive industry.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Delaware
Another one worth seeing: Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY. Curtiss aircraft and motorcycles.

jack
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

Delaware
U.S. Army Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen MD. Tanks and tracked vehicles. They don't let you climb on the tanks anymore but still memorable and the indoor exhibits are a trip down memory lane for GIs and devotees of militaria.

jack
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can spend a whole day at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. And, next door is Greenfield Village, with Thomas Edison's Lab, the Wright Bros bicycle shop, Firestone's home, a steam powered train and Model T rides plus many other historical homes from that era.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've been to the Titan Museum in Green Valley AZ. I would recommend it. It's must for Ham Radio operators that can make it there. There's a huge antenna that Ham Radio operators can use.
There's another that we plan on going to in Phoenix, AZ. The musical Instrument museum. From what I've heard you get an IPod so you can listen to the instrument you're looking when you're looking at it.

There are tons of small museums around. Henderson, NV regional. Neon Bone Yard, Las Vegas, Car Museums in Las Vegas and Laughlin, NV. Borax museum in Boron, CA. One in Deming NM surprises you with it's apparent size from the outside and how big it is inside.

Many many small towns have museums. I could probably list a hundred without needing to look anything up. Advice, where ever you go, look for the local museum, there's probably one around.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Registry
There's two George Patton Museums. One was in Kentucky, which I think they moved it since I was there about 15 years ago. The other is at Chiriaco Summit, CA, where Patton and his troops trained.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Delaware
. . . but never assume anything about hours of operation of a small one-man band, even with a brochure or internet listing. Call ahead to confrim that they're up and running before going out of your way.

jack
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Museums

There are many I can think of but for this forum I'd mention the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart Indiana. A huge (and growing) eclectic collection of RVs dating from the early 1900s to the mid 1980s.

Wait, come to think of it, I don't think there was an example of a fiberglass towable in the collection. Oh well, everything else is there.

Give yourself half a day - at least
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Exclamation Museums

How about the museum in Willow Creek, Humboldt County, CA? That museum not only houses items from the pioneering past, but they have a separate building for BIGFOOT!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, lots of interest in him, I think.
Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Hudson Essex Terraplane Museum in Shipshewanee Ind.
Bruce Weiner's Microcar Museum in Madison GA.
Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque IA. ( A MUST SEE!)
Rock Island Armory (IL) (guns and more guns, some like you've never seen!)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
There is also the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen, Ohio. They own 900 different bikes but can only display 200 at a time. A local businessman bought the Schwinn family's collection several years ago.

Bicycle Museum of America
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #16

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Buffalo Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. Amazing collection of memorabilia from the Bill Cody Wild West show that went all around the US and to Europe several times. And contemporary western art-not all cowboy stuff, but lots -add a sculpture garden of western themed bronze pieces. Easy most of a day to see all that but there is also an amazing collection of guns grouped by era from blunderbusses to today. As a bonus it is just east of Yellowstone Park
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #17

Registry
The biggest logging museum is right across the road from Collier Memorial State Park, near Klamath Falls, OR. Another one is near La Pine, OR, the High Desert Museum. Then there's the Indian Museum in Warm Springs, OR. The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center near the Dalles, OR which features the Lewis and Clark expedition. Scotty's Castle in Death Valley, the guided tours are great.

I intend to visit the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix this winter.

It would appear that one will never run out of museums to visit.

One I need not to forget. In Brooks Oregon is Antique Power Land with it's 11 museums. They include, CAT, John Deer, Case, museums. Truck and antique car, a steam driven lumber mill (most of the buildings were made with lumber milled in steam mill). There's trolleys, a small gauge railroad. Steam tractors, 2 cycle club. It's all 1930's and older.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Amarillo, Texas
Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum
About 15 vintage units at a dealership. Free. Opened recently. No fiberglass eggs (yet).

Vermillion, South Dakota
National Music Museum.
It is the incredible collection of one man, thousands of unusual musical instruments. It is on the campus of the University of South Dakota.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
The Heritage Museums in the Canadian prairie Provinces are awesome. Each is made up of a collection of buildings filled with artifacts from the past. We were even able to go through with our dog so that we didn't have to leave it in an overheated car. We did take turns touring an individual building so as to keep the dog outside. With high 90's heat that day we otherwise would have had to bypass this great exhibit. It pays to ask. Sometimes people are incredibly kind.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Ottawa-Gatineau
Canadian Museum of Civilization

Fantastic First Nation totem poles
Setting across the river from Parliament buildings
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote