My Burro is Gone, my Roo is damaged, guess I'm in a tent. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Tent
Smile

Thank God none of us were in it. I was getting ready to pack for a weekend away with the boy scouts. My son came home and said Dad the Burros on fire call 911.

First thing I did was shut off and disconnect the Propane, and run away with the tank, my wife called the fire department. The rest is history, nothing left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img238.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	27757

Name:	img243.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	27758

Name:	img250.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	27759

Anyone want to attempt a frame up restoration?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oh Mike, that is just awful! I'm *so glad* that you are okay, but it's still heartbreaking to see your wee Burro like that.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have you got any idea what caused that?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Have you got any idea what caused that?

The fire started at the fridge, or near to it. First flames were visible through the fridge vents.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Oh Mike, that is just awful! I'm *so glad* that you are okay, but it's still heartbreaking to see your wee Burro like that.

Raya

Thanks Raya. The Burro can be replaced, at least no one was hurt.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
The fire started at the fridge, or near to it. First flames were visible through the fridge vents.
This past winter while i was in Arizona I saw at least 4 Motor Homes that had bad fires. One not to far from me had blown up. No one in it at the time, they had left for the day.

Sorry about your loss.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Wow, that's something.

Sorry about your trailer, glad everyone is alright.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

wow. I am so sorry!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Mike, Yes Thankfully no one was in it. I am sorry for your loss. (didn't you just buy it recently? May be someone else who recently purchased a lil one to go along with their big one) but no matter what it's very sad. Thanks for the pics.

I have seen many pic's of rv's that have gone up in flames but never thought I would see an egg. I figured more damage on the inside leaving a burned out hull. Wowser that it burned like that.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scary stuff! Glad no one was hurt... but it's still sad!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Sorry your family had to go through that. Glad no one was hurt.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
My condolences.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm very glad no one was hurt and very sad that your adventure tow toy was destroyed. I know if my trailer burned up I'd be devastated.

You are so right: Propane is scary.

Usually I create detailed how-to posts for the projects I do, but when I added a propane-powered Wave 3 catalytic heater recently I didn't even take pictures of my progress. Unlike most handyman projects -- even those where 110v AC power is concerned -- there's a lot of room for learning as you go, lots to learn from your mistakes, and most anyone with basic handyman skills can take the plunge.

Not so with gas piping: there is one right way and any other way is dangerously wrong. Our trailers add an extra dimension to that: they wiggle and vibrate as we tow them down the road, creating ample opportunity for a pipe joint that was air-tight when it was soap-tested to wiggle just enough to cause a leak, with the unhappy results you've just seen. Or worse. I don't want to give anyone the idea that it's a project they can learn to do right.

I am very glad no one was asleep in the trailer, and hope you find a replacement you love.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Roger My condolences for your loss. It would be heartbreaking to lose one's egg. My wife and I are going all electric due to concerns about the propane situation ( I do realize that this doesn't eliminate the fire problem but in my mind it lessens it, although that is probably a false sense of security ). We cook inside with an electric skillet and microwave ( most campgrounds we stay in have electric hookups ) and heat with a small electric heater. Any propane cooking is done outside under the EZ up on a portable gas grill. Again so sorry for your loss but really thankful that no one was hurt and that the fire apparently did no damage to your house. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a close call with a fridge fire but nowhere near what you've experienced.

My fridge is chillin' right now on propane in the back yard in preparation for our weekend trip tomorrow. Now I'm worrying...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Not so with gas piping: there is one right way and any other way is dangerously wrong. Our trailers add an extra dimension to that: they wiggle and vibrate as we tow them down the road, [b]creating ample opportunity for a pipe joint that was air-tight when it was soap-tested to wiggle just enough to cause a leak, with the unhappy results you've just seen. Or worse.
Do we know it was a pipe joint and not something in the refrigerator's burner/gas innards themselves? I use propane, so naturally I'm curious. Of course obviously it's a problem no matter what caused it.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to do their own propane work if they were not comfortable with it; however, conversely, I have found leaks that have developed in professionally installed lines, so that's not a guarantee either. It's good to test with a mixture of water and a small amount of soap. Also, propane lines should either be well secured to a non-flexing substrate, if rigid, or flexible (like hose) where they might move. So rigid pipes and joints should not be moving (if they are obviously there is a problem).

On boats there are commonly "gimballed" propane stoves. This means that the stove swings back and forth constantly as the boat moves (so the stove stays level). The connections at the stove are made with flexible lines. Then the rest of the lines (which are also on the boat, which typically is moving and slamming around), are more rigid (tubing) but are secured.

So many people use propane and don't have problems; but it is scary when something like this happens, that's for sure. It's probably not a bad idea for many of us to check over our systems, since time can take a toll.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sorry to hear about your burro! And just as the camping season was starting too. What damaged the Roo - heat from the fire or was there a small explosion or something?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Oh my! I'm sorry to see that. These little trailers almost become family.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
How did you have the presence of mind to take a picture while it was burning? I probably wouldn't have even thought of the propaned tank needing to be removed.

Sorry for your loss. If you are like us, not only would we lose the trailer, but also 35+ years of camping gear. Some of that, we were just plain used to and it can't be replaced with the same thing.

Good luck on your journey to replacement.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
How did you have the presence of mind to take a picture while it was burning? I probably wouldn't have even thought of the propaned tank needing to be removed.

Sorry for your loss. If you are like us, not only would we lose the trailer, but also 35+ years of camping gear. Some of that, we were just plain used to and it can't be replaced with the same thing.

Good luck on your journey to replacement.
Oh Mike, first, I am SO glad to hear that NO one was hurt!
Additionally, I am so sad to hear of the loss of your Burro, and damage to the Roo!
Wow, I am just getting attached to my Burro, and can only imagine the awful feeling!

I do hope the Roo is fixable for you, and wish you all the best!
Regards, Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro