My Car is Smarter than me. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Charlie... I can sure relate. Dwell meters, distributor wrench, etc are entering the Jurasic era. Can't even sell this stuff. Nobody wants or needs it.
Old goats like me still own and use those tools on old vehicles. Sometimes I wish everything was as simple as it once was back in the day. But even I have got spoiled with modern features. When I was shopping for a used truck to pull our new to us Casita I "Had to Have" power windows and mirrors and door locks. Yes I need less tools now because a lot of repairs I'll take to the dealer, they have the training and specialized equipment to diagnose and repair a problem. This is my first vehicle with the ignition key that is not an actual key, the salesman had to show me how to use it, DUH. I haven't bought a brand new vehicle since 1969, and still own it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #22

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A restored pre computer ride is looking better and better all the time.
I used to run a 1970 Morris Minor as my winter car when I was a motorcyclist and the only electronics anywhere on the car were inside the alternator that I had added to the car.

One day the engine just died and I could not find the cause so called out a roadside recovery service. As soon as the mechanic turned up, he beamed from ear to ear, delighted to be using old-fashioned spark-and-fuel fault finding. (I felt marginally less stupid when he located the fault as a break in the power wire to the coil inside the insulation.)

But even then just the alternator was a big step forwards from a dynamo in winter, so I'll vote for electronics happily. My current car has modern 'canbus' electrics where absolutely everything is controlled by the car's ECU (Norm, your Odyssey will be like this), so that the wiper switch just sends a message to the ECU and it is the ECU that supplies power to the wipers. And on my next car, I think I'll go for the full 'inadequate' package with video-controlled cruise and automatic parallel parking by sensors. I may even treat myself to a nice walking stick....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As planned in 2014 we purchased a new car, a 2014 Honda Odyssey. I knew humanity was in trouble when our car was smarter than me.

Shortly after we purchased it I stopped at a store with Ginny. She ran in for a quick purchase and I waited in the car. She was back and in minutes and I attempted to turn on the car but got no response. The car knew the engine was running and unlike the old days when turning the starter on would cause a crunch with a running engine, I got silence. The car’s engine computer was smart enough to know the engine was already running. The car was smarter than me, well aware of what it was doing, well aware of it’s local environment.
That's a nice feature with Honda's, as the motors are so quiet, you can't hear them running.
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Soon the North Koreans are going to hack into your car and know what is happening in the back seat!
"I wish they had spoken to me first" - Anonymous
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and what happens when the computers stop working??????? everything shuts down, perhaps our lives have become so dependent on the microchip that it has become our Achilles heel.....hhhmmmm
Same thing that happened in the good old days of distributor caps - car stops working!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #26

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have this vision of our future world when all human life ends but the power source for computers continues and they (computers) just keep on doing their thing...interacting with other computers as if we all were still alive.....frightening thought....we have created a monster....remember "HAL" from 2001 a space odessey.....just one letter off from IBM in our alphabet....Hollywood was predicting the future even back in the 1960's......HAL now starts our cars and stops us before we crash!...Spooky new world we have created.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
....remember "HAL" from 2001 a space odessey.....just one letter off from IBM in our alphabet....Hollywood was predicting the future even back in the 1960's......HAL now starts our cars and stops us before we crash!...Spooky new world we have created.
Pat... I worked for "HAL" for 30 years and I still can't figure out how they can shoe horn 30,000 images into an SD card, which is no larger than a 25 cent piece.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Mike, I was leary of the push button start, but after using it this year,
you would really appreciate it in your situation. I just have to remember
to have the key in my pocket when I leave the house..............

I have hit the start button once while it was running also. I was glad
that it didn't respond like the manual key would have done..................lol.

I have a 2002 Astro and the service engine light stays on. Been to several
garages and I just ignore it now. I had a 92 Astro that did the same thing.
Then the light bothered me so I put some black tape over it so I couldn't see it.

Mankind has nothing to worry about. I've read the book and we are here at
the end. I just feel sorry for those who won't know what to do without all
their gadgets. I pretty much do without them now and will do fine if they all
quit. So the hackers can hack away. I still know how to chop wood, make candles, saddle a horse,
and holler across the fence to the neighbors.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If computers and associated robots reach the state of self awareness, the state of being alive, their evolutionary progress could be astounding. The ability to remember everything and to at birth pass it onto prodigy in seconds, reaching maturity immediately. This action in a sense compresses time, particularly compared to human life cycles.

Thinking about the future, one I can not experience much of, is interesting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #30

Name: Tom
Michigan
Smart cars are nothing new. Remember the Knight Rider? My Mother the Car? Herbie the Love Bug? I'm sure there were more...

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #31

New York
Regarding the engine service light that won't go off, I had one I couldn't get off by following the directions in the owners manual. Problem was I had the odometer set on "Trip A" and it has to be set on the total vehicle mileage position.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #32

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Same thing that happened in the good old days of distributor caps - car stops working!
For $20 or so I could carry a spare cap, rotor, points, and condenser and with a few simple tools diagnose and probably get back on the road quickly. The last several years I worked as a truck mechanic our diagnostic tool was a laptop computer we plugged into the vehicle. I like the new vehicles, just glad I don't have to work on them anymore.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: mary and bob...I retired because at 64 I knew how to drive a transit bus. At 65 I needed to be tested, and I don't do well at skill testing questions!!!
As for my vehicle being smart... the "Service Engine Soon" light has come on, been fixed, come on again, been fixed again, come back on again, and been fixed...yet again. Now that's really "Dumb"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi: mary and bob..."SES" on for the fourth time!!! This really smarts. Odo. not on trip A.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #34

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Smart trailers could be the future. No more lighting or pushing switches for hot water, heat, AC, mood lighting, heated towel rack and toilet seat, automatic hitching to tug. A trailer that recycles heat, propane, water. A trailer that cleans itself in and out.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
My other hobby is restoring antique tractors (hence the moniker) ... Not much simpler than a 1939 D4 Caterpillar (machine # 146, 1st year of production.) No battery, pull-start pony motor, and no spark plugs....

Top speed is 3.5 mph, but you CAN go pretty much anywhere you want. Useful for knocking down trees, too.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #36

New York
Charlie; that's great, I'd love to have an old crawler tractor. My oldest tractor is a '46 Farmall H, unrestored, bought new by my grandfather. Also have a '68 Ford, 60 something Case, and a Beaver garden tractor. You must be a "Antique Power" subscriber.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #37

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Well, this thing isn't very smart... it's raw, loud, has a bit of an attitude, and rides like a hay wagon...

But, my oh my, it's sure fun!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
BlackSwan1600-2_zps43175a40.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face An applicable story

As we leveled off after take off, a voice came over the loudspeakers:

"Welcome to the first fully automated flight. I am a computer and am completely in control of your flight today. There are no humans controlling the aircraft.

Do not worry, nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...."

Like the Airbus A320 whose computer thought it was landing and by jingles, it was going to land and ended up plowing a wide swath through a forest because the human pilots just wanted to do a low level fly-by for demonstration purposes. The field itself was too short to accommodate the airliner.

The problem is that we cannot anticipate all possible situations. If you study air crashes it is always a combination of individual factors that no one anticipated.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Slot car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post
Well, this thing isn't very smart... it's raw, loud, has a bit of an attitude, and rides like a hay wagon...

But, my oh my, it's sure fun!

Rob
I learned to drive in a Porsche. It never ceased to amaze me how that thing stuck to the road, just an amazing vehicle. My Dad bought one, the first one a 1955 Speedster, and not to be out down my Mom got one. (Originally they were very reasonably priced.)

My Mom, with a little more patience, taught me to drive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #40

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I learned to drive in a Porsche. It never ceased to amaze me how that thing stuck to the road, just an amazing vehicle. My Dad bought one, the first one a 1955 Speedster, and not to be out down my Mom got one. (Originally they were very reasonably priced.)

My Mom, with a little more patience, taught me to drive.
Ohmygoodness! I am so jealous! Of course, you already know that Speedsters are going for stratospheric dollars these days. My 911 is one of only 62 ever made and its scarcity contributes to its constantly-appreciating value (!)... but those Speedsters....