My dream trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
So I’ve been racking my brain, researching, reading, mulling over products, etc. looking for the perfect for me replacement for my little egg. I have needs, and I’m not finding them out there. Every manufacturer has great products, but none of them meet what I really want to see. I like the products and quality I’m hearing about Escape and Bigfoot trailers, but the floor plans don’t have what I really want.

My absolute wants are: 2 fulltime beds, preferably one full size, and one single (could be a bunk if weight rated high enough), and a dinette area that we can leave set up that way. I hate having to convert the dinette every night, and although we like being outside (that’s why we’re camping after all) it’s nice to be able to sit down inside if there are nasty bugs out or poor weather without having to convert all the time. It is just for me and my 9 year old and our dog (no, the dog doesn't need a bed...)

I don’t know if this is something I am going to find in a FG unit, but it MUST be FG, no stickies for me! Also I do not want to go up to 21’, MUST be smaller than that.

Any recommendations??
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You didn't mention the need for a bathroom.... so, how about having Scamp build you a side dinette w/front goucho too... sorry, you just lost the bathroom (can't have both)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
My absolute wants are: 2 fulltime beds, preferably one full size, and one single (could be a bunk if weight rated high enough), and a dinette area that we can leave set up that way . . . Also I do not want to go up to 21’, MUST be smaller than that.
The standard layout Scamp 5th wheel has a loft bed and a gaucho/bunk as well as a dinette table, it's just over 19' in length, and weighs about the same as a 17' Casita. The downside is you need a pickup truck to pull it.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
You didn't mention the need for a bathroom.... so, how about having Scamp build you a side dinette w/front goucho too... sorry, you just lost the bathroom (can't have both)
Thanks Donna, that merits some consideration (although all that $$ and no bathroom... but then we don't have a bathroom now, but it would be nice to have... hmm)

Quote:
The standard layout Scamp 5th wheel has a loft bed and a gaucho/bunk as well as a dinette table, it's just over 19' in length, and weighs about the same as a 17' Casita. The downside is you need a pickup truck to pull it.

--Peter
Peter, that sounds almost perfect (except for the truck part...)
I do have a truck, it's a 2005 Nissan Frontier, short box and roof rack, so I don't know if that would work.
Is this towable by a short box truck, will the factory roof rack interfere, and would I loose all my bed space for a hitch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	8654

I had this FG tonneau cover put on just so I could haul around camping stuff in the box!

hmmm
Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It'd work. We towed the Scamp 19 we had with our S10 crew cab.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_1_sm.jpg  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
It'd work. We towed the Scamp 19 we had with our S10 crew cab.

Roger
Hmm... okay, this could work. Did you lose all your truck bed for the hitch?
Also wondering why you went to the trailer from the 5th?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Hi Lainey, I recall seeing a motorhome where the double bed was suspended from the ceiling. Day time the bed came down, and night time hoisted up against the ceiling. Hmm aircraft wire on pulley's ? Having the dinette underneath would be ok because you don't need standing room while sitting at the table. A Murphy bed would be ok too, but the space is a little tight. Ok I will go back to having my nap, experiencing brain drain.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Hmm... okay, this could work. Did you lose all your truck bed for the hitch?
Also wondering why you went to the trailer from the 5th?
Lainey, it's a long story... the short version is that we bought this for my 70's parents who were looking to downsize. As it turned out, my mother couldn't get her replaced knees to do the steps to bed, so we sold the 19' but kept the S10. We really liked the 5th wheel, but the use for which I have for the truck doesn't allow for a 5th wheel hitch to be in the way.

You don't lose too much storage with the hitch; but I carry long stuff in mine, plywood and such and the hitch got in the way for that. For normal camping it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #9

Okay, so the 5th plans will work for my needs. BUT they are just a lot different than what I was thinking and a bit bigger than what I had thought I would haul around. Also, with the very small box on my truck, I am afraid of using up all, or quite a bit of my storage space. I am going to seriously consider this option though (maybe Scott and I will have to talk about his unit...)

Other than a 5th wheel, has anyone ever seen a FG unit with a full bed with single bunk over and a small dinette? Ideas?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Other than a 5th wheel, has anyone ever seen a FG unit with a full bed with single bunk over and a small dinette? Ideas?
The designs around 17 feet routinely have two sleeping/seating areas. For instance, my Boler B1700RGH has a rear gaucho (sofa which converts to bed) and front 4-person dinette (which converts to a bed). The gaucho has a cabinet over top which converts to a child's bunk, and a better bunk could replace it. Casita has various floorplans in 16' and 17', one of which might work. Escape has a 17' which can be set up with rear bed and front two-person dinette; the dinette has an optional bunk over it (actually the seat back folds up to become the bunk) like the front of the traditional Boler/Trillium/etc 13' designs.

The issue may be the definition of a "full" bed, and only a widebody (such as a Boler 1700, 17' Burro, or Bigfoot) has the body width to possibly make a nice long bed across the trailer.

I don't have the energy for it, but others have shown that complete interior renovations are practical. Maybe a completely custom interior is the answer, and the question is simply which shell has the desired length, width, and shape (how rounded)?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #11

My thing is that I want to be able to never convert a table to a bed (unless we have extra people camping with us). I like to be able to put my son to bed and if I want to stay up, I can have the table area to sit at if I want, then when I go to bed, I can just go - because it won't be attached to my table. Does that make sense? If the dinette could convert to a single bed or bunks that would be a bonus as then my son could bring friends along sometimes.

The actual size of the beds don't really matter that much to me, just as long as the bunk is weight rated enough to still use for many years, and that the 'full bed' could sleep two for resale (or change in life circumstances; still , maybe someday...).

Quote:
I don't have the energy for it, but others have shown that complete interior renovations are practical. Maybe a completely custom interior is the answer, and the question is simply which shell has the desired length, width, and shape (how rounded)?
That gets me to thinking...
I’m a draftsperson, I know an industrial designer and a steel fabricator (okay he’d have to learn a lot about aluminium…) so why not build from scratch...
Okay, that's not going to happen, but I have been working on my perfect floor plan, maybe if it has enough mass appeal my plan could be picked up by a larger manufacturer <Reace, are you listening??... >

I've come up with a plan that has the trailer body 13'6"x6'8" (just like a new Escape) and contains:
Fulltime permanent bed approx. 54” x 77”
Fulltime permanent upper bunk approx. 30” x 77”
Full bath with 24”x36” tub/shower combo, toilet and fold up sink
Kitchen area with sink, under counter fridge, & cooktop
Single wide dinette with fold out table extension to allow for extra seating (add your own folding chairs, Dinette would convert to single bed w/ an option for a bunk over top as well)
Interior & Exterior storage

This would sleep 3 fulltime and up to 5 once the dinette is converted (with the bunk over option)
Seating of a large group is limited, but will accommodate up to 4 in a pinch.

Back to reality - any other suggestions?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
find someone to rebuild your trailer or get someone to find an old egg and have them gut it. then build what you want into it. where are you located because i can give you a name in saskatoon canada. they are rebuilding old trilliums and bolers. it won't cost you anymore than buying a new trailer. it would be like new but built for you. they do great work. i am franklin.hammond at sympatico.ca
franklin hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #13

Lainey, that sounds interesting. If you want to spend a few minutes on simple layout drawing, I'll bet there would be some (hopefully constructive) feedback from a few members, which might support the custom-built interior idea.

For older starting shells available in Canada, the Boler B1700, Trillium 5500, and 19' / 17' / 17.5' Bigfoot models are possible options (most of these are wider than required).

You could also custom build in a new and empty cargo trailer box. Since moulded fiberglass is required, check out the Shuttle. The biggest problem with that unit for this purpose is that they have 6' and 8' wide models, but nothing in between - the 6' width makes lateral beds unworkable, and 8' width loses significant "easy to tow" appeal. They will build to the desired length, and custom-build the frame (to accommodate features such as a side entrance door), but the width is determined by the mould and thus not negotiable.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
At first I thought two fulltime beds and one full-time dinette would require three ends! (The NEW triangular FGRV!) But if you take your classic 17 foot Boler, and have the gaucho as full-time bed, and the overhead bunk, and the dinette full-time, that would work. (No couch! Don't bump your head!)

I wonder why the 17 foot Boler has two "hampers" (head and foot) at the gaucho, when the foot space could've been used as, well, foot space.

I find the gaucho/coucho/bed very easy to convert (one grunt, then bedding) as opposed to converting the dinette (hold table-top, back up, wiggle-whoops, cram cushions, etc.)

Plus, when we are camping, we usually leave the gaucho-couch as a day-bed, ideal for reading mags/napping. With enough pillows and throws, it is a Chaise Lounge. ("Darling, hand me the grapes!")
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Peter, that sounds almost perfect (except for the truck part...)
I do have a truck, it's a 2005 Nissan Frontier, short box and roof rack, so I don't know if that would work.
Is this towable by a short box truck, will the factory roof rack interfere, and would I loose all my bed space for a hitch?
I'm not sure about the short bed with a 5th wheel. Your Frontier would be fine in straight-line towing, but I'm not sure about how you'd do in a tight turn when the loft swings around the side of the bed. It'd probably be OK, but I'd ask Scamp first and ask whether there are mods I'd need to make to the hitch somewhere just to be sure.

And, no, the roof rack will not interfere, though you do loose some bed space to the hitch bar, but you can still pack the bed pretty full around that hitch and the hitch can be removed (with a few minutes work and a ratchet wrench) if you need the full bed space.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
take a look at eggcamper.com. I do not know too much about this company, but they have a full bed and a side 2 person dinette along with a bathroom.

Nancy
Nancy Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #17

So here's where I'm at:

I though if Escape could make me a 17' Plan B with a bunk over the rear dinette, that would be great. But they can't do it
That would have been a nice sized trailer and not too wide, but...

Brian's idea of buying a shell and doing a custom interior had crossed my mind too. The 6'6" high ones would make great units, and everything would be just the way I want it, but cha-ching $$ by the time it's all said and done.

I looked at a 1995 Bigfoot with the rear bath and side gaucho, and I think it will work! The gaucho could be my permanent bed. If the bunk is weight rated high enough that will make a nice bed for my son, and the front dinette could stay up all the time unless we have company!

Thanks for brainstorming with me!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #18

That's the configuration I was thinking of, Charlynn, although I would replace the cabinet/bunk with a better constructed bunk (like Chester did) for serious use.

I agree completely with your comments about the "hampers" and the ease of converting the gaucho versus the dinette.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #19

Quote:
... buying a shell and doing a custom interior had crossed my mind too. The 6'6" high ones would make great units, and everything would be just the way I want it, but cha-ching $$ by the time it's all said and done.
With Shuttle prices, I think it would still be cheaper than a new ready-made travel trailer... [b]if you do most of the work yourself and count it a hobby time, not assigning any value to it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Brian's idea of buying a shell and doing a custom interior had crossed my mind too.

Thanks for brainstorming with me!
One person (pre-hack) thought outside the egg... after a fashion. They did a custom shell modification.

Name:   slidein.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.7 KB

If I remember correctly, they took a 16' Scamp, and made a Upper Bunkbed Only Slideout, over the rear double bed.
I don't remember any other details...