My first trip to a FG meet. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
My first trip to a FG meet.

Hi
I was at the Long Beach Bolerama July 12/2013 (only day I could come).I am a newbie and do not own an egg. So I thought this would be a great place to start. I seen that most of them (90%) were 13 feet. I expected to see larger ones ( I was surprized). I guess they were from the 70's or 80's and the outside condition looked extremely good. I am looking at getting a new Scamp 16', height of 7' 10". However I would like 3 mods to be made in the factory for it. 1) Encapsulate the wood floor in fiberglass. 2) Change the frame guage from 11 to 10. 3) Increase floor thickness by 1/8" more. I wonder if they can do this?

I seen a huge Boler that looked out of place. It must of been 18 feet and was tall. Any specs on this one.

I am from the Big City and there are bylaws what you can park on your driveway. But I can keep it on my property as long as it is in my garage. Garage door is 10 feet wide. The height of door is 7 feet. However I have to check with the city and see if a door height of 8 feet is legal ( I think it is) I will squeeze the height to 8' 1.75" or maybe 8' 4" if it is possible.

I hope my health does not get worse so I can actually buy one.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Good luck in your search. You will find that Scamp do not do the type of alterations you are asking for. You may want to check out Escape trailers in BC, a little pricier but the customer has more input and they have the fiberglass floor.
They did make a larger Boler a 17 footer.
Escape Trailer Industries > Home
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Ontario
Scamp vs Escape

Well I have looked into the Escape 15' (actually 15' 8"). It costs 19k MSRP. Another problem is it is 8' 1" in height, the Scamp is 7' 10". My garage will be 8' 2" at most in height and the trailer goes in at a angle to the sloping driveway. I don't want to swap tires or let air out of it, if possible. The Scamp 16' costs 14k. Both equipped the same. That is a huge difference. And the shipping to my city from BC to Toronto will cost a lot...guessing 3k. I rather get the Scamp and tow it home maybe $500 in gas/food and one night in a motel, return.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sorry we missed meeting you at the meet Mitchell.

Next local meet is Niagara in September. Fewer trailers, so it looks like a greater mix. Then again, we only live a few klicks apart, maybe we can meet before then.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

Ontario
Yes Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sorry we missed meeting you at the meet Mitchell.

Next local meet is Niagara in September. Fewer trailers, so it looks like a greater mix. Then again, we only live a few klicks apart, maybe we can meet before then.
Yes I would like to meet and see your trailer. I am 61 and use a cane. Where is exactly the next meet in September. I would like to know location and address. Maybe I can educate you in vintage high end audio?

Thank You.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Just curious Mitchell, why the changes?
The Scamp 16' with the side dinette was the best Egg I ever had.
I received an offer I couldn't refuse one weekend at the lower Peppermint Campground in the Sequoia National Forest.
I have an 82 Scamp and it's solid as the day it was built and I would guess there are members with much older Scamps that have had the same experience.

Very little routine maintenance keeps the leaks away and after 20 to 25 years you need to replace the axle.

Good luck, you will enjoy the Scamp 16 and so will your great grand children.

John

Hang in there. I'm 71 and just broke my foot in an ATV accident in the High Country. A month and I will be riding and camping again.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mitchell,

I'd like to echo John's comments.

We have a 1991 Scamp 16 and the floor is perfectly fine after 22 years. We find the thickness of the wooden floor perfectly adequate and note no deflection as we walk about.

As to going to a heavier guage tubing, I don't know why. Ours has stood up real well and is heavily used. Another option would be judicious stiffening of the frame, an easy and relatively inexpensive posswibility.

We have painted the top surface of our floor where it was easy to do, in cabinets and under part of the carpet in the dinette area. When we had a recent accidental spill the paint kept water from being absorbed into the floor where there was paint. No damage was done because we quickly dried up the spill but you could see the difference between painted and unpainted areas.

If I had extra money to spend I would reserve it for items that make the trailer more useful and comfortable.

In closing Fiberglass trailers are amazing in that they truly maintain their value, our son has a 36 year old Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
Yes I would like to meet and see your trailer. I am 61 and use a cane. Where is exactly the next meet in September. I would like to know location and address. Maybe I can educate you in vintage high end audio?

Thank You.
I'm wondering now if maybe we did meet? Chances are I was tethered to a Rhodesian Ridgeback if that helps. Detail of the Niagara meet follow - you can get a motel room there if wanted. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-56703.html

PM sent with contact info. I can connect you with another audio addict. I'm going deaf so I can't appreciate the sound any more.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Just curious Mitchell, why the changes?
The Scamp 16' with the side dinette was the best Egg I ever had.
I received an offer I couldn't refuse one weekend at the lower Peppermint Campground in the Sequoia National Forest.
I have an 82 Scamp and it's solid as the day it was built and I would guess there are members with much older Scamps that have had the same experience.

Very little routine maintenance keeps the leaks away and after 20 to 25 years you need to replace the axle.

Good luck, you will enjoy the Scamp 16 and so will your great grand children.

John

Hang in there. I'm 71 and just broke my foot in an ATV accident in the High Country. A month and I will be riding and camping again.
Thanks for your thoughts. It seems it is solid even without my mods.

I am leaning to the Scamp 16 with the side dinette. The bunk beds are only good for kids But can be used as a single bed. I want the changes if possible to make it the best new egg available, bar none. I want the encapsulated floor just the FG, no insulation on floor), if not then just FG on bottom (outside) of floor. This is the lest I want done. A 1 (1/ 64") gauge thicker frame would be nice and a very slightly thicker floor if possible. This would add a lot of strength. I am a heavy person.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If they're like my '84 19', one of the best things you can do is replace the frame crossmembers. Mine were sagging pretty good, although the floor felt solid. I noticed it checking level for flooring.

They weren't notched properly from the factory, IMHO.

I put 1/8" wall, 2" square tubing in. I had to jack the center up about 1/4" to do it. Nice and sturdy now. I wouldn't worry about strengthening the floor. I know there's been 650 pounds or so of people standing on it at once without a peep.

I installed solid vinyl floor, then caulked it in. Any leaks will sit on top of the floor.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote