My Ideal Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
My Ideal Trailer

I had a 1980 13’ Boler for 11 years, now have a 1995 16’ Scamp Deluxe. I went to the 16’ to have a bed and small table at the same time. After two camping trips I find I don’t really enjoy towing the longer trailer. Does anyone know of a 13’ fiberglass trailer that can have a bed and small table at the same time? … plus a kitchen area.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Connie
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Connie, many have made the conversion from the front bunk/couch to a small front dinette, and I believe Scamp now offers this configuration as an option.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
S-13 DX front Dinette.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showro...0160219_095618
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Permanent bed plus galley and dinette in a 13'er is easy, as David says. All that plus a bathroom is the main reason for choosing a 16'er.

If you don't need the bathroom, most any non-bath 13'er can be easily modified to make the dinette. If you'd rather not tackle the conversion yourself, look for one that was built that way or one that already has the modification. A Scamp 13 deluxe layout A comes with a front dinette (and I see Eddie slipped that one in while I was typing).

Is this for one or two people? For one, there are even more ways to get your ideal 13' trailer, with or without a bathroom.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
It is for one person but I need to sleep with lots of pillows, so require the bigger bed. I think I can still manage with a port-a-potti. Will check out the possibilities you all have suggested!
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I want a dinette and full time bed as well so I started to think about a 16 foot Scamp, but for now I am working on a front couch conversion in my 13' as I've seen many folks do.
Here is how it looks today. I just began the project this past weekend.

Name:   IMG_5298.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Is this for one or two people? For one, there are even more ways to get your ideal trailer.
Jon, I am single and have been looking at ways to set up a permanent sitting area for one with a permanent single bed. My Scamp 13 has no shower, but a composting toilet in the privacy room. Can you steer me to any ideas for my situation?

I have a few ideas of my own (most based on Floyd's dinette mod), but welcome any other suggestions. No sense totally re-inventing the wheel if it can just be modified.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
My idea (for a front bath layout) is also based on Floyd's mod. I would turn the main dinette into a U-shaped configuration, making the back wide enough for sleeping. If it were 26-28" wide, you would still have 16-18" left on either side for sitting. For many people, that's wide enough- I sleep fine on the 24" front bench with the upper bunk set up, so 28" with unrestricted headroom would be downright luxurious!

An off-center pedestal mount would allow the table to swivel to one side at night for easier bed access (and a convenient nightstand), and back to the center in the day for dining. I've also seen where the table can slide to one side.

I might do all-new cushions with a cut-down bed mattress across the back for maximum comfort. You could also order a custom bridge cushion from Scamp for the center back and reuse the side cushions.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Thanks Jon, I hadn't thought of the off center table mount - great idea, saves taking the table down each night and needing to find a storage space.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Thanks Jon, I hadn't thought of the off center table mount - great idea, saves taking the table down each night and needing to find a storage space.
Another option, albeit a somewhat pricey one, is to use a swivel mount table. It would give even more flexibility, better stability than a pedestal, and no floor space lost. You do lose the ability to convert the dinette to one large bed, and bracing is required to get a solid attachment. Credit for this one goes to Gordon.
Gordon's Lagun swivel mount table
Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Front dinette

I too have a 13 Scamp . I removed the bunk (to heavy ) , & replaced it with a larger , custom mattress. I’m also going to add the Logan swivel table , (cake & eat it too ) !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Connie,
That was your 16' we saw at SAFE? It's a nice trailer...but it IS bigger than a 13. I hope you figure out how to get the configuration you'd like! It makes all the difference. Our "2-bedroom unit" is exactly what we need, though I find everything is a little tall for me...but so be it. We've been through enough rigs to realize this is about as good as it gets for our needs.

Hope you'll be able to come to SAFE next year! And meanwhile--sort this all out. Some good ideas up there above! I like the swivel table mount idea personallyl, but we had that in our GetAwayVan and it worked nicely.

We use a little folding table, ourselves, and hang it up in the Putin when not using it. It can also go outside if wanted.

BEST
Kai
Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
ddie something tells me these trailers are no longer molded trailers as the come with a 11 Gauge Frame. Can get [pretty costly if you start adding on all the stuff you really want. About the only item I did not want is the TV Antennae, built in toilet, bathroom sink, but I sure like leaving the table down and just eating at the other end.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
ddie something tells me these trailers are no longer molded trailers as the come with a 11 Gauge Frame.
Still all-molded. Scamp doesn't build any other type.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
My ideal trailer is a fifth wheel because of the dedicated sleeping quarters and the stability during towing. I'd like a new Bigfoot fifth wheel or a new Egg Camper fifth wheel but since neither of these two trailers are available, we've opted for the next best thing; buying a used Bigfoot fifth wheel.

However, if'n I ever win the lottery and am looking for a hobby, I'd investigate relocating the Egg Camper company to Central Kentucky and develop several new sizes including the fifth wheel trailer of my dreams. Jus' sayin'...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
My ideal trailer is a fifth wheel because of the dedicated sleeping quarters and the stability during towing. I'd like a new Bigfoot fifth wheel or a new Egg Camper fifth wheel but since neither of these two trailers are available, we've opted for the next best thing; buying a used Bigfoot fifth wheel..
With the moulded fibreglass fifth wheels, I have seen a Bigfoot single and tandem axle, the Scamp, and the original Escape 5.0, all of which have their merits. However, once I saw the Escape 5.0TA I knew that was the one for me, and when the new moulds were built, my order went in. No regrets at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
My ideal trailer is a fifth wheel because of the dedicated sleeping quarters and the stability during towing. I'd like a new Bigfoot fifth wheel or a new Egg Camper fifth wheel but since neither of these two trailers are available, we've opted for the next best thing; buying a used Bigfoot fifth wheel..
With the moulded fibreglass fifth wheels, I have seen a Bigfoot single and tandem axle, the Scamp, and the original Escape 5.0, all of which have their merits. However, once I saw the Escape 5.0TA I knew that was the one for me, and when the new moulds were built, my order went in. No regrets at all.

But, there is something to be said with having a 13-17' bumper pull. Less expensive to buy and tow. Lots of great layouts too. If I was a single guy I would be all over a no longer produced Escape 15A, which to me is about the most efficient layout with lot's of room and included features, like a full time bed, dinette and good sized cooking area.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote