My Most Favorite Campground Ever!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
i second joy's sentiments....i am hard-pressed to narrow the field down to one alone---for different reasons, i have numerous favourites. but, i can definitely think of a few "won't go there again" parks.

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
I see that other Minnesotans like Beaver Creek and Whitewater State Parks. They're both beautiful places to camp and I've fished in these parks several times. In addition, my absolute favorite is Forestville State Park (A Loop) beside the Root River.
Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park: Minnesota DNR

kdhanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wow, of the thousands of campgrounds I have stayed in over my life time. One that I remember fondly (not for the facility per-say) but for the calmness, serenity and the over all enjoyment. First being, Beyond Hope rv park and campground. Hope ID. Amazing! When you check in, they hand you a bag of grain. As your backing into your campsite, the deer, bunnies, are standing there waiting for their treat and hang out among the campers during your stay. Again, it wasn't about the facility so much. It was just a great experience.

Another being Redstone Campground, Redstone CO. My favorite place in CO. Again this is not one because of the facility. It's a ok campground. It gets my vote because of where it is. Right on the edge of the sweetest town in CO. Lot's to do, lot's to see, lot's to enjoy.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
One of my favourite campgrounds is Lightning Lakes Campground in Manning Park, BC (Canada).
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
1) The Valley of Fires BLM Campground near Carrizozo is the best BLM campground we have seen in New Mexico. Better shower house than some of the State Parks and some water & electric sites as well. Cost not bad as well, especially with a Senior Pass...1/2 off. It would be one of our favorite ones.

2) Silver, Saddle & Apache Lincoln Nat'l Forest Campgrounds near Cloudcroft are pretty neat as well.

Finally Got the Scamp Out for Some Camping

3) Russian River Campground is an extremely Neat Campground in Alaska's Kenai Peninsula near Copper's Landing:

June 2011 - The infrastructure for fishing along the Russian River and likely hood of seeing a bear makes this one to be remembered.

The Russian River Campground is operated by Alaska Recreational Management, Inc., under a permit with the National Forest Service.

4) The Very Neat Camping by or in the Rocks at City of Rocks State Park between Deming and Silver City, New Mexico makes it one to be remembered. IMHO
City of Rocks State Park

July 2010

5) Massacre Rocks State Park's setting above the Snake River in Idaho makes it one to be remembered as well.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
My trailer and my heart belong on the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. Here we camp at the Cape Breton Highlands National Park at Broadcove Campground. You have a lake and ocean all in one.
Attached Thumbnails
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #21
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
"Love the one you're with".

Hi: All...In the race to be #1 it's probably a tie!!! Arrowhead Prov. Pk. and Emily Prov. Pk.
Arrowhead was our first love...Emily was our first gathering!!! Hard to top those.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
77 Boler@ Emily.jpg   arrowhead P.Pk..jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
We love WI/MN state parks, but our special place is Penisula State Park in Door county - Cape Cod of the midwest!
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Sooo many great ones, but my latest favorite is right here in NW Arkansas at Devil's Den State park. I'll try to attach photos of what the view was out our back window, aqua water and all. The folks here in NWA are so spoiled by the beauty all around that they rate this park as "Yeah, I guess it's okay."

Attached Thumbnails
image-2705026310.jpg   image-779406157.jpg  

Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I think our all time favorite was Hunting Island State Park in SC.

We could walk 1/4 mile down the beach and have the whole place to ourselves. We wished we had brought our fishing gear so we could have joined the few and far between fisherman who were bringing in flounder.

Can't wait to get back there!
Attached Thumbnails
hunting_island_dunes.jpg   hunting_island_palms.jpg  

Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
We have been fortunate in finding so many outstanding camp grounds. The one I am most looking forward to returning to is Low Key Hideaway in Cedar Key, FL. Maybe I should keep this little gem under my hat, it only has 4 RV sites.
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19ft
Central Coast of Cal
I gotta go with Carpinteria (CA) State Beach in the off season. Forget June through August. Rest of the year it's 1/4 full and very peaceful (if you don't mind the trains).

Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
This is good to know. We spent a little over a week there one June. True, it was very full, but we had a very good time. The trains were not so I assume we didn't mind the trains, but they can be noisy at times. Trying to get a camp site (without reservations) was much more aggravating than the trains.
We used Carp as a base to see Santa Barbara:

A View from the Pier:

Carpenteria State Beach:

You didn't mention the 'Natural Asphalt' which oozes up along the beach in spots. (Not so much by the long sandy swimming beach, but below the 'bluffs'.) The area received the name, 'Carpenteria', because it was the area where the native people built their boats, using the asphalt to seal the crafts. The black 'rocks' in the above photo is in fact the asphalt.

Carpenteria State Beach - June 2006 Camping near the beach with full hookups (someone who had the site reserved needed to leave bought the remaining days from them....down with the "Big Rigs", but it was a corner site without anyone to the right of us & an open space leading out/down to the beach. It was a 'parking lot campground' in this section of the park. I would have wanted to be up on the 'bluff' campground, if we could have gotten into it. I didn't have a photo of the 'bluff' area, nor of the very long sandy beach area.

As I mentioned, we were there in June & had a good many days of 'June Groom', common to SoCal Junes. But it gave us some very cool weather to enjoy, but with the need of jackets to walk the beaches.

We took a day tip into the Vineyard area of the county as well:

When wanting to see things around Santa Barbara the options we had in 2006 were: Gaviota SP, Refugio State Beach & El Capitán SB, but no dump stations at them. Carpinteria SB was nice area with long beach area & a dump site. The sewer at the campsite, we could not use (fittings were a little difficult - would have need a special fitting & a longer sewer drain hose). We just used it as a drain for the gray water via water hose. (On the Scamp, we have two places to drain, gray water tank & black water tank have separate drain sites.)

The year before, we tent camped at Refugio State Beach; 20 miles West of Santa Barbara on Highway 101 at Refugio Road. What I remember about Refugio Beach were the Palm Trees (and other trees) which gave a distinctive look to the beach and camping area. We only did an overnight. Can't remember how the RV section of the campground was like.

After camping at Carp, we moved down to McGrath State Beach between Ventura and Oxnard. A very nice campground with trees & shade, a wooded, bamboo area with trails. A small river running by not far, not too neat a river. The the real downside, it is a long walk to the beach and the beach is not a nice one at all. It has a nice campground, not bunched up, sadly the beach was dangerous at best, with coarse broken shell-sand and very steep bank/drop off to the water. Lot of sand dunes getting to the beach. No Photos of the beach. Feeding Sea Gulls at a beach in Oxnard:
And a Harbor view at Ventura:
San Buenaventura Mission, Ventura:

McGarth was a good place to base for seeing Ventura & Oxnard. We enjoyed it there as we did Carp. Next we moved father south to Point Mugu SP (Sycamore campground). Beach view at Point Mugu near Sycamore:
We drove to the Getty Villa from Mugu. But Carrillo might be a nicer place to try of the two. But Mugu is close enough to see Ventura & Oxnard & Getty Villa & Malibu. Near but not too close to Malibu: Point Mugu has a nice but small beach/small tide pools; Leo Carrillo SP excellent & with nice tide pools & Wi-Fi Service but small rocky beach. We stayed at Point Mugu that summer; have stayed at Leo Carrillo and Refugio in earlier years.

Leo Carrillo's campground and Point Mugu Sycamore campground are in wooded canyons up from the beach areas, Mugu has some beach camping as well off a roadway parking area type. We found Neptune's Net Seafood to have great seafood. The Scene – This glorified roadside shack is situated alongside Malibu's picturesque Pacific Coast Highway. As I remember, it is closer to Carrillo, than to Point Mugu. At least it was between Malibu & Point Mugu.

We wanted to see the Getty Villa, an educational center and museum dedicated to the study of the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria in Pacific Palisades/just past Malibu, just off the Pacific Coast Highway. A neat place to see: and neat exhibits:

This was the first long trip we took with the Scamp.

Now the California State Parks are Priced so High to use, this keeps me from wanting to use them again. Too Bad.....They are really neat places to see. Need to see if there are any thing less expensive out there to use to base camp to see the Sights. After some consideration, with factoring in the cost of fuel in SoCal, even if a somewhat less expensive one could be found (not likely, perhaps), the cost of commuting to & fro might make these less expensive. Always forget the higher cost of visiting California. For Million Dollar Views, I assume the cost isn't as severe.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
I've followed this thread from its beginning but couldn't decide on a favorite until I looked through some old pics. Davis Lake on Cascade Lake Highway in Central Oregon. We've tent camped, camped w/ our pop up and with the Trill. Spring ,summer and fall- with the kids and with friends and always enjoyed the birdlife and wide open scenery. Even in the height of camping season it seems you can always find a campsite.

Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote