My Most Favorite Campground Ever!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
"Love the one you're with".

Hi: All...In the race to be #1 it's probably a tie!!! Arrowhead Prov. Pk. and Emily Prov. Pk.
Arrowhead was our first love...Emily was our first gathering!!! Hard to top those.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
77 Boler@ Emily.jpg   arrowhead P.Pk..jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
We love WI/MN state parks, but our special place is Penisula State Park in Door county - Cape Cod of the midwest!
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Sooo many great ones, but my latest favorite is right here in NW Arkansas at Devil's Den State park. I'll try to attach photos of what the view was out our back window, aqua water and all. The folks here in NWA are so spoiled by the beauty all around that they rate this park as "Yeah, I guess it's okay."

Ruth
Attached Thumbnails
image-2705026310.jpg   image-779406157.jpg  

Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #24

Trailer: Aliner
I think our all time favorite was Hunting Island State Park in SC.

We could walk 1/4 mile down the beach and have the whole place to ourselves. We wished we had brought our fishing gear so we could have joined the few and far between fisherman who were bringing in flounder.

Can't wait to get back there!
Attached Thumbnails
hunting_island_dunes.jpg   hunting_island_palms.jpg  

hunting_island_beach.jpg  
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We have been fortunate in finding so many outstanding camp grounds. The one I am most looking forward to returning to is Low Key Hideaway in Cedar Key, FL. Maybe I should keep this little gem under my hat, it only has 4 RV sites.
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I gotta go with Carpinteria (CA) State Beach in the off season. Forget June through August. Rest of the year it's 1/4 full and very peaceful (if you don't mind the trains).

Greg
Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Greg,
This is good to know. We spent a little over a week there one June. True, it was very full, but we had a very good time. The trains were not so bad....so I assume we didn't mind the trains, but they can be noisy at times. Trying to get a camp site (without reservations) was much more aggravating than the trains.
We used Carp as a base to see Santa Barbara:

A View from the Pier: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...iewofwater.jpg

Carpenteria State Beach:

You didn't mention the 'Natural Asphalt' which oozes up along the beach in spots. (Not so much by the long sandy swimming beach, but below the 'bluffs'.) The area received the name, 'Carpenteria', because it was the area where the native people built their boats, using the asphalt to seal the crafts. The black 'rocks' in the above photo is in fact the asphalt.

Carpenteria State Beach - June 2006 Camping near the beach with full hookups (someone who had the site reserved needed to leave early...be bought the remaining days from them....down with the "Big Rigs", but it was a corner site without anyone to the right of us & an open space leading out/down to the beach. It was a 'parking lot campground' in this section of the park. I would have wanted to be up on the 'bluff' campground, if we could have gotten into it. I didn't have a photo of the 'bluff' area, nor of the very long sandy beach area.

As I mentioned, we were there in June & had a good many days of 'June Groom', common to SoCal Junes. But it gave us some very cool weather to enjoy, but with the need of jackets to walk the beaches.

We took a day tip into the Vineyard area of the county as well:

When wanting to see things around Santa Barbara the options we had in 2006 were: Gaviota SP, Refugio State Beach & El Capitán SB, but no dump stations at them. Carpinteria SB was nice area with long beach area & a dump site. The sewer at the campsite, we could not use (fittings were a little difficult - would have need a special fitting & a longer sewer drain hose). We just used it as a drain for the gray water via water hose. (On the Scamp, we have two places to drain, gray water tank & black water tank have separate drain sites.)

The year before, we tent camped at Refugio State Beach; 20 miles West of Santa Barbara on Highway 101 at Refugio Road. What I remember about Refugio Beach were the Palm Trees (and other trees) which gave a distinctive look to the beach and camping area. We only did an overnight. Can't remember how the RV section of the campground was like.

After camping at Carp, we moved down to McGrath State Beach between Ventura and Oxnard. A very nice campground with trees & shade, a wooded, bamboo area with trails. A small river running by not far, not too neat a river. The the real downside, it is a long walk to the beach and the beach is not a nice one at all. It has a nice campground, not bunched up, sadly the beach was dangerous at best, with coarse broken shell-sand and very steep bank/drop off to the water. Lot of sand dunes getting to the beach. No Photos of the beach. Feeding Sea Gulls at a beach in Oxnard: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...sfeeding-1.jpg
And a Harbor view at Ventura: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...rVenturaCa.jpg
San Buenaventura Mission, Ventura: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...46/Ventura.jpg

McGarth was a good place to base for seeing Ventura & Oxnard. We enjoyed it there as we did Carp. Next we moved father south to Point Mugu SP (Sycamore campground). Beach view at Point Mugu near Sycamore: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...uStatePark.jpg
We drove to the Getty Villa from Mugu. But Carrillo might be a nicer place to try of the two. But Mugu is close enough to see Ventura & Oxnard & Getty Villa & Malibu. Near but not too close to Malibu: Point Mugu has a nice but small beach/small tide pools; Leo Carrillo SP excellent & with nice tide pools & Wi-Fi Service but small rocky beach. We stayed at Point Mugu that summer; have stayed at Leo Carrillo and Refugio in earlier years.

Leo Carrillo's campground and Point Mugu Sycamore campground are in wooded canyons up from the beach areas, Mugu has some beach camping as well off a roadway parking area type. We found Neptune's Net Seafood to have great seafood. The Scene – This glorified roadside shack is situated alongside Malibu's picturesque Pacific Coast Highway. As I remember, it is closer to Carrillo, than to Point Mugu. At least it was between Malibu & Point Mugu.

We wanted to see the Getty Villa, an educational center and museum dedicated to the study of the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria in Pacific Palisades/just past Malibu, just off the Pacific Coast Highway. A neat place to see: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...GettyVilla.jpg and neat exhibits: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l.../GreekErns.jpg

This was the first long trip we took with the Scamp.

Now the California State Parks are Priced so High to use, this keeps me from wanting to use them again. Too Bad.....They are really neat places to see. Need to see if there are any thing less expensive out there to use to base camp to see the Sights. After some consideration, with factoring in the cost of fuel in SoCal, even if a somewhat less expensive one could be found (not likely, perhaps), the cost of commuting to & fro might make these less expensive. Always forget the higher cost of visiting California. For Million Dollar Views, I assume the cost isn't as severe.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #28

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I've followed this thread from its beginning but couldn't decide on a favorite until I looked through some old pics. Davis Lake on Cascade Lake Highway in Central Oregon. We've tent camped, camped w/ our pop up and with the Trill. Spring ,summer and fall- with the kids and with friends and always enjoyed the birdlife and wide open scenery. Even in the height of camping season it seems you can always find a campsite.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Adrian,

Don't want to sound like I'm selling timeshares or something but Carp's always been our favorite. We're there for a week every month in the off season (forgot to mention, also, never on weekends). We live an hour north so it's close, the town's very cool, and the weather's awesome. Did I mention the views:
Attached Thumbnails
carp209 004a.jpg   carp209 006a.jpg  

Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
We have a favorite campsite on a small river with a rapids 20' from the campsite an no we can not tell where it is. Our second favorite place is the Bay city Wi city campground. There are wonderful sunsets across the Mississippi river, and the bay has a pelican roost.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm with Joy, can't pick a favorite most all of them have some redeeming qualities. However, if I thought for a bit I'm sure I could pick some of the worst ones...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Now if I had to pick the best Camp Wally World, that would be easy:

Cody, WY in the 'Back Forty', West Side along the Green Strip with the nice wooden fence with a nice view of the Abasoraka Mountains.

At Cody, WY Wal-Mart 2009

Good for an OverNight.

Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #33

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Now if I had to pick the best Camp Wally World, that would be easy:

Cody, WY in the 'Back Forty', West Side along the Green Strip with the nice wooden fence with a nice view of the Abasoraka Mountains.

Good for an OverNight.

That is the best looking Walmart I have ever seen. We were there last June. We didn't overnight there though. I thought Cody was the neatest little town.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's hard to pick one. At this moment Rio Grand Village in Big Bend National Park comes to mind.
I noticed that many people like Oregon Parks. Little Crater Lake comes to mind, however, it's getting more and more crowded. Next is any the of Forest Service campgrounds around Camp Sherman.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #35

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Smile favorite parks

I love the missouri state trout fishing parks and camp grounds...there are four within a 40 to 100 mile radius of my home.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
What’s with all the West Coast stuff. We got rights here in the Midwest. Love that Peninsula State Park in WI, too. But for my money, can’t beat Ludington State Park, MI. Gotsa lake, damn, river, beau ceau walking trails, Lake Michigan Beaches, Petoskey Stones, and critters galore. Try the first week of June and take a canoe. After that, better have reservations. Before this time, which we’ve done in a Scamp in late November, be careful of the deer outside your door and don’t leave any carrots you want to keep for your salad on the picnic table. Try the Old Hamlin restaurant in town for old world ambience and a hearty breakfast.
hatchhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #37

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Never Been to Ludington State Park Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchhanlon View Post
What’s with all the West Coast stuff. We got rights here in the Midwest. Love that Peninsula State Park in WI, too. But for my money, can’t beat Ludington State Park, MI. Gotsa lake, damn, river, beau ceau walking trails, Lake Michigan Beaches, Petoskey Stones, and critters galore. Try the first week of June and take a canoe. After that, better have reservations. Before this time, which we’ve done in a Scamp in late November, be careful of the deer outside your door and don’t leave any carrots you want to keep for your salad on the picnic table. Try the Old Hamlin restaurant in town for old world ambience and a hearty breakfast.
We live in Traverse City Area, Mi. and have never been to Ludington State Park. We are maybe an hour and 15 minutes from there. We'll have to hook up the Burro and check it out. Funny how you can live in an area for 20 years and never realize what is at your own back door. Thanks for the Tip!
Edward83burro is offline   Reply With Quote