My new Scamps maiden voyage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
My new Scamps maiden voyage

Been awhile since I have towed a trailer and I was a little out of practice and nervous. Took some manipulating to get the rear jacks up but that will get easier, got everything else connected properly and then drove about 5 feet before I remembered that I forgot to unplug the thing. D'oh. Like I said, it's been awhile.

First trip was to the post office which has a nice circular driveway cause even though I got my first Casita in 1993 I have never really learned how to back up... then I drove out the dirt road to my sons house to see how she handled on the pot hole riddled roadway. It was fine.

Next, I had a doctor consultation which is about 20 miles from home and when I got there I told her to grab her water and her snacks and meet me outside, we had my appointment in the Scamp and she took a brochure with her!

Then onto the trailer place because I was iffy on using the electric brakes and paying to have them hooked up to my car but learned that this trailer does not stop on a dime and decided that since it came with them I may as well use them. That appointment is Friday. While I was there I had them check over some other stuff, they measured from the ground to the top of my ball and it's spot on at 18" just like the manual says. They were fascinated with the Scamp and gave me good advice about radiator coolers and tire pressure and turning off the overdrive on my car when towing (which I had also read in my owners manual)

Then a stop at Dunkin Donuts drivethru where I nervously watched the clearance and then onto the metal scrap yard where 4 or 5 grimy guys wondered what the heck I was doing there, but none the less were very polite and weighed my trailer on their scale. 1660 fully loaded minus water which I never plan to have anyway.

My TV got 16.3 MPG down from the usual almost 18 but I can live with that. I probably drove around from town to town about 50 miles today and am feeling more confident, even got the trailer backed into the driveway in almost the same spot that the Scamp delivery people put it in though it was touch and go for a few minutes!

All and all a very productive day!

Next is registering the dang thing which in Maine is not cheap but the temp plates are good for a while yet so I am putting off thinking about it!
!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp.jpg  
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I can tell you're going to be a great molded fiberglass ambassador! Surprised to hear of a doctor who makes "house" calls... .

Speaking of calls... good call on the brakes and weight check. If you can also get the tongue weight somehow, I hope you'll post in the Trailer Weights thread and send the data to Jon Vermilye so it can be added to the spreadsheet.

Happy camping!!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Registry
Already taken care of minus the tongue weight
Old 04-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Very cute and sounds like a fun little around town jaunt!

I am a woman here and also have backing up issues. . The easiest thing for me it to put my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. That way I can move the steering wheel in the same direction I want the camper to go. Good luck.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
So excited for you!!! We loved our Scamp and kept brochures handy for interested folks who wanted to see her at th gas pump, campgrounds, and even our driveway! I bet we 'sold' over a dozen Scamps! We kept her show room ready nearly all th time as we wanted to look as good as possible for prospective Scamp owners! You'll meet all kinds of people! We'd even have folks stop at th house and ask to see her or if she was for sale! Ha! We're in Texas where they are less common than Casitas, but we have a 19' Escape now with a potty now we have retired. Come down to some of th Texas rally's!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Alida
Trailer: currently looking in CA
Ohio
with a front trailer hitch you can see as you push trailer into spots!
arthynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post

I am a woman here and also have backing up issues. .
Trust me its not a woman only thing!

There are plenty of guys who could not back up a trailer to save their life out there as well!

Yup the wheel on the bottom on the steering well turned in the direction you want it the trailer to go works best for me as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthynne View Post
with a front trailer hitch you can see as you push trailer into spots!
Well you can see the front of your trailer anyway.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
In addition to the hand at the bottom of the wheel, if someone is directing me, I ask them to tell me which way the backend of the trailer should go, r or l.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

I tell the person assisting to shut up.
Just point left or right ( the direction the trailer needs to go ) and raise an open hand to indicate stop.
Oh, and stand where I can see you in my mirror.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Ohio
is that Canadian humour?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just point left or right ( the direction the trailer needs to go ) and raise an open hand to indicate stop.
ROFL where you one of the many neighbours who came out to check out my new trailer as I was getting it into my somewhat difficult driveway for the first time!!

Had way to much supervision! "turn the wheel the other way" or "turn the wheel right" or "crank the wheel over"

Like you, all I wanted to hear is the direct the trailer needs to go and how far before I hit something! LOL
Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

YUP

A friend of mine stores his 21' camper up a steep-ish dirt driveway above his house. No room to turn it around, so he backs it up. The first time his wife "helped" him back it. I think it was extremely stressful for them both.

He just does it on his own now with no help, and says it goes much smoother and is stress free. I'm sure this could be said for a woman backing a trailer with her husband watching, too (or any other mix & match, seeing as I'm a pretty liberal guy).
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #14

In my case it was my camping buddy who has his own trailer and he was demonstrating how to turn the steering wheel by rotating his hands. Playing Charades. Of course, I was looking in my mirror so I had no idea what he was doing.
In any event, I hold the steering wheel at the bottom with my palm facing up. If my assistant points to the left, I move my hand to the left and the trailer goes left. Too simple really.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I'm sure this could be said for a woman backing a trailer with her husband watching, too .
Oh yea! it sure can! :lout
Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

Registry
I am alone so I don't have anyone to guide me in for the better or worst of the matter... what I did today during my practice session was to take out my bright red door mat, throw it down where I wanted the door to be and backed up (a few times) until I was able to hit that mark via looking in my mirrors. I think I will continue the practice!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #17

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Great idea!
I have never pulled a trailer and have been thinking of renting a small one from
Uhaul for practice.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Great idea!
I have never pulled a trailer and have been thinking of renting a small one from
Uhaul for practice.
the smaller and shorter a trailer is makes it harder to back up as a short trailer turns much quicker. Best thing is to go to an empty parking lot, like a school on the weekend, and better yet if it has marked spaces, and practice. Jaye has a good idea, put something out as a marker to aim for. The truck leasing company I worked for had a backing policy "GOAL", if in doubt Get Out And Look. I like Glenn's comment of shut up. Every year where we spend the winter is a campground with tight sites and lots of trees. I always guide my neighbor in with his big 5th wheel camper. Usually others show up with advice, but he always says "I can only listen to one person and that's Bob". I put the others back in the site to be my eyes where I can't see. Too many helpers can be a problem.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

Ohio
found this video interesting reutting trailer into a spot, using front hitch.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthynne View Post
found this video interesting reutting trailer into a spot, using front hitch.

But not if you have a 5er!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
scamp