My New (to me!) Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
After much tinkering my husband finally declared my suburban "safe to tow" we hooked it up to the Scamp to see how it looks. I like it! And I can still see straight through like towing it with my Tahoe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4989a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	14187

and with a quickie photoshop paintjob

Click image for larger version

Name:	4990_x_600.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	14188

We purchased the suburban because my husband finally realized that even after years of practice my packing skills did not seem to be improving! Everything including the kitchen sink. My little 47 Ford truck with our inclement Washington weather and now three member family was not going to do the trick--not enough room front or back.

And for those who read my earlier post about asking if anyone regretted going to a bigger trailer--I just couldn't do it. I love my little green trailer. And shhh dont tell, but we are pretty much fair weather campers.
So the recently purchased 16ft Scamp will be up for sale shortly after it gets a little cleaning. I think if it would have been the side dinette model I would have been more tempted. (There is one in the for sale section right now that is lovely!)
I will keep a lookout and maybe one will find me, because eventually my little 5 year old will not be so little...
Hope to see some people out and about this summer!

Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
After much tinkering my husband finally declared my suburban "safe to tow" we hooked it up to the Scamp to see how it looks. I like it! And I can still see straight through like towing it with my Tahoe.

Attachment 14187

and with a quickie photoshop paintjob ...
WOW! Great looking rig! Congrats. Are you actually going to change the color to match the Scamp? It would look even more cool.

If I may I just suggest one other small thing; paint the Scamp wheels silver to tie into the Suburban.

You should post it in the "rig's" thread.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #3

The color was actually picked for the old truck but the work on the Scamp was completed before the truck so it got painted first, and now I'll pass the color to the Suburban.
And yes, the Scamp doesn't have the chrome beauty rings. I'm still trying to convince my husband that I like the wheels on the Suburban and they are not the hideous creatures that he is making them out to be.
Eventually everything will be matched up, hopefully by summertime next year. This summer we will just take it out and enjoy as is. We had to deal with the safety/comfort issues first and changed all the mechanics to new stuff so it drives just like my Tahoe.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Vintage Tin nothing better. SUPER C00L LOOKING . What motor are you running in that baby?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
..any chance you might be interested in attending the FireCracker Run in Pioneer Park in Ferndale WA July 11/13??
We'll be there.... Love to see you and your set-up!!!
camping is FREE (and free IS a good thing, LOL!!) with show vehicle registeration.
Attached Thumbnails
downsized_pic.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
we hooked it up to the Scamp to see how it looks. I like it!
Very classy. I don't mind the earthly brown + green color combo, though. But I know what you mean.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
That Busburban is awesome. I had an 87 diesel and loved it. I always liked to look of the older suburbans.
I'm envious. Most of the older ones I have seen were totally rusted out ( much like my 87 became).
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Oh I love your green little trailer.. it will looks totally awesome when ya get the Suberban painted to match!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
oooooh drool, drool.... even if it is a Chevy!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #10

Thanks all, I'm having fun with it.

Kevin K--it has a Chevy 350 in it. The biggest change for me was the switch from drum to power brakes--yipee! Ok and the modern front seats complete with shoulder harness and cup holders!

Doug--We would have loved to, but have a rod run in Port Angeles that we go to every year on that weekend. The Canadians bringing down their fiberglass trailers with their hotrods to this event started the search for one of our own.

Daniel V--I hadn't thought of the green and gold together as a combination before (very 70's) hmmm I'll have to think that one over. Although I did tell my husband that I was borrowing his pinstriping tape which is the very same green as the Scamp and taping some flames on the Suburban to tie it together for the next event, I'll have to see how it looks... (husband shakes his head, evidently taped on flames are not cool...)

Jackie
Old 07-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
now thats a cool tow rig....
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
What I like about that Chevy model series is the way the hood wraps down to the inner fenders.
When you open it, there's a nice shelf for placing your tools and miscellaneous parts.

This also makes it easier for us that are not so tall to have better access into the engine compartment. And do I need to mention the uncluttered openness of those old rigs!

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
very nice. will definitely turn heads on the road. I had a 60 GMC short box, step side that I loved. wish I still owned it.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote