My pick: Escape trailer - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #71

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I've had 6 new trailers in 3 years and found issues in everyone, when I ordered my Escape I addressed all these issues and they were resolved by Escape, it is by far the best and my last trailer. So get the best now, if not, you will always strive for it later!!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #72

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
"check this out I think there is one near you . lighter weight and less expensive HOME and this Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites two links home and small t.t."

seems unnecessarily restricted at the front. I think this is based on the idea that if you taper the front there will be less wind-resistance.
But look at any aircraft. They are fat at the front and taper to the rear to reduce drag.
This trailer will afford better mileage if you drive in reverse.
How fast do you drive when you drive in reverse?The head room far forard as you can walk is 6ft,3 in . I guess that is restricted lf you are 7 ft tall,
i see what you mean I guess I should have gotten a brick scense they have better wind-resistance. than any aircraft .
Attached Thumbnails
M50Bounder2.jpg   baron-2-E-55.jpg  

BelgianF16Landing.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #73

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Snoozy is almost 8 feet wide. I think the reduced drag is a smart design since the trailer sides will grab some of that wind resistance behind a V6 size vehicles. I'm sure we all know how fun driving hours in a crosswind can be too. That would be another positive point to ponder depending on what part of the country you usually travel in.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #74

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Something tells me we're about to veer off course into a knockdown dragout over Snoozydynamics....

Francesca
No...really?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #75

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
lol I remember that thread. I don't dare say the aero word
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #76

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
From my own experience I can tell you that rounded definitely reduces drak. Here's the story. At one time we had a near 30 foot Holiday Rambler trailer. Extremely built & heavy. At the same time we had a 22 ft Summit that weighed about 2500# less than the H.R.The summit had a nearly upright front, the corners were sharp, and the propane bottles were on the tongue. By contrast, the Rambler had rounded corners, more of a slant to the front, propane bottles contained within the body of the trailer, and the Rambler had a fully enclosed underbody. Towing both with the same truck and at the same speeds, I got better mpg with the Rambler. Now have a Kodiak , 31 ft, with a upsloping rounded front and average 11mpg plus or minus with a Chevy 5.3 liter V8 which is only marginally lower than I got with the Rambler towed with a Dodge diesel. We also tow our Egg Camper with the same Chevy and regularly get 15 mpg with sometimes 17 mpg. Granted the Egg C. is much lighter but it is what it is.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #77

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
How fast do you drive when you drive in reverse?The head room far forard as you can walk is 6ft,3 in . I guess that is restricted lf you are 7 ft tall,
i see what you mean I guess I should have gotten a brick scense they have better wind-resistance. than any aircraft .
OK, clearly having an aerodynamic front is not with out merit, but it is my understanding, (not being an expert) that air will pile up in a fairly smooth pressure gradient on the front. Thus providing a similar benefit to a pointy front. The back of the trailer is a totally different story. The vacuum in the wake of the trailer is greatly affected by how smoothly the air travels over, and off, the back of the trailer. A tapering rear allows the air to slip off the back with out all the turbulence that a blunt back would cause. Thus the pressure difference between the front and the back of the trailer is not so large.
I have no dog in this fight, my Trilliums are all quite blunt on the back, and the front.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #78

Arkansas
Registry
It really does not matter to me what the gentleman thinks I get 16 to 17 mpg towing ,and I love my snooz . at 2100 lbs tows just like I like it to. I was just agreeing that all air planes have a round fat blunt nose ( see photos) of the fastest light bomber , and twin turbo prop ,and that I would get better mpg in reverse. and low headroom , just like the gentleman posted (The head room seems unnecessarily restricted at the front. I think this is based on the idea that if you taper the front there will be less wind-resistance.
But look at any aircraft. They are fat at the front and taper to the rear to reduce drag.
This trailer will afford better mileage if you drive in reverse. )
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
at 2100 lbs tows just like I like it to.
I'm interested in that weight number- did you finally get around to weighing the Snoozy?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #80

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm interested in that weight number- did you finally get around to weighing the Snoozy?

Thanks!

Francesca
yes i did but i am not happy about it i don't think they did the wighting correct if they even did it . i am going to a truck stop to have it done ,the place that did it is a small shop and they weigh rocks
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #81

Registry
Quote:
yes i did but i am not happy about it i don't think they did the wighting correct in they even did it . i am going to a truck stop to have it done ,the place that did it is a small shop and they weigh rocks
So is that where you got the 2100 pound number?

That seems low to me, too...I'd definitely be looking for another place to weigh if I was in your shoes.

You might try the local landfill, if they charge by weight. Most of them will weigh the rig for nothing if all you want is the number. I did mine in two trips- one with the trailer and one for just the tug. Subtract tug from the total and there you have it!

Francesca
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #82

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
The manual on ours had one weight, the sticker on the side and in the closet has another weight, and the scale gave another weight. (makes it hard to purchase)

New trailers was told can be a lot more than advertised! Yikes! (options can add up)

Think the sticker on the side and inside closet weight was with all possible options as lists items we do not have and water and propane full.

The owners manual lists weight as including propane and water full and was close to actual weight. (some list their trailer as dry weight)

Tongue weight is a lot heavier on the new trailers maybe do to less forward placement of the axle.

Was told cars are lower to the ground and only require 8% on tongue to pull well by an expert. This seems to be true as ours pulls well?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #83

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
About front windows, yes they're nice, but I bet that more leaks develop around front windows than around all the other windows and the door, combined, in most trailers. The place where I bought my trailer told me they will order a trailer with front windows if a customer asks for it, but they try to avoid getting front windows on stuff they get in to sell off the lot, because they see so many problems at that point of the trailer.

And mostly what you see out the front window is the back of the tug.

About Snoozy aerodynamics, I may have been the first to point out, way back when they first announced their production plans, that fuel economy would be better if the shell were mounted with the flatter end up front. However, I have to say that I think the difference would not be likely to exceed 1 mpg. The 15 to 17 mpg real world numbers from Snoozy owners are very comparable to typical numbers from other 16' and 17' eggs. Wind tunnel tests of various shapes seem to suggest that the back end would have to taper much more gradually than any trailer's rear ever could, to make a serious improvement in fuel economy.

I cannot recall ever reading any unhappy comments from an Escape owner. Can't say the same for most other brands. (Anyone recall the brand new egg that was accidentally sold without plumbing pipes?) I think the OP has made a good choice.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #84

Registry
Nothing's perfect, especially in the world of RV's. The Escape is no exception to that rule, and one would be wise to anticipate that there may be problems just as there often are with any other trailer.

A careful read of owner posts at the Escape owners' forum is certainly in order for anyone contemplating a purchase and looking for a heads up on potential problems that may arise.

Here's a link to one such conversation: Leaking Emergency Exit Window

Francesca

Tags
escape