My pick: Escape trailer - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #113

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I have no real experience with them and I've only heard of one problem with a roll-up awning (posted fairly recently, either here or on the escape forum) but they *look* dangerous -- they definitely get my "potential problem detector" ticking...

I don't know if it's the nature of my job (software geek), or a strong streak of pessimism, but whenever I look at anything new (to me), I have to start analyzing design weaknesses and how it might fail...

Of course the awning I have is not danger free... Falling off the bucket I use as a step to reach the top of it to do the zipper is not so much a risk as an inevitability... But it's only happened once or twice... Seems I'm more comfortable risking my own neck than damage to a nice shiny trailer.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #114

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I love my pulldown/retractable awning for its ease/speed/convenience. Takes perhaps one minute to open or close.

For do-it-yourselfers out there:

I was much too cheap to pay full price for one with installed fabric....especially since I had an unused vertical-stripe awning canopy that I'd taken from another trailer. I bought the arms/tube/hardware from Joe Thoen at Trillium Canada (now Outback) back in 2006 and installed it myself, fabric and all.

I don't know what others are using, but the unit Outback supplied me with is the Carefree Fiesta model that comes with travellocks on both arms. I like that feature as I've read a few stories about on-highway accidental deployment and travellocks are insurance against such an event.

Though I really only used the old awning fabric because it was in new condition and cost me nothing, once I got it on I realized that it really LOOKS better on my 1978 trailer than the newer horizontal-fade that's available now. I even added fringe to the front flap to sort of complete the old-timey look...probably the only strictly cosmetic "improvement" I've ever done to the trailer. (Or needed to! )

The one thing I regret is that I didn't ask for the awning tube to be cut about eight inches or so longer. There's room on the trailer for it, and I'm sure I needn't tell any of you how much difference a few inches of space can make on units as small as ours.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #115

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Raz: Thanks for the info. I agree -- windows that can be opened in the rain are very important. . .
On the other hand, jalousie windows look like they'd be terrible in cold weather -- no real way to make sure they're sealed. Admittedly that comes from no real experience -- just looking at a few pictures. . .
Just wanted to add my real world insights on jalousie/vent windows. We have thermal pane jalousie windows on all sides of our 38ft Mobile Suite we live in full time on the Oregon Coast. Ours are made by Herr International and they work great in hot or cold conditions. Our unit is a 2006 and there are no visible signs of any water intrusion. I will say that window style is the first thing i look for in a trailer...if the rig does not have jalousie/vent windows i move on to another brand. For me, if i can't open the windows in our typical rain squals that rumble through during nearly any week of the year, i can't see spending the money on the rig. And though the MaxxAir window treatment/vents can and do work, i like the idea of purpose built design such as the jalousie/vent window rather than a _fix_.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #116

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Do jalousie windows come dual glazed if you want? Dual glazed improves comfort a fair bit in cold or hot weather.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #117

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do jalousie windows come dual glazed if you want? . .
Well....with a cost they do. dual pane/thermal jalousie windows are available at the Herr website i linked. And ours in the Mobile Suite are great as i said...but then...our MS brand new sold for 127k in 2006 and has everything including a washer/dryer : ) but don't go anywhere without a 50amp service!

...as a PS:
If you visit the Herr website you will find they will have the dual pane jalousie windows in various styles and they will match your existing window size. They are about $600 to $900 a window, but the difference is striking. Our neighbor's units without dual pane windows wake up to a drippy mess every morning nine months of the year. There is no condensation in our unit. For a full time rig, they are a must IMO. I do realize, that my #1 current choice of a trailer (Parkliner) has only single pane jalousie, but we'll manage! Maybe a few seasons down the road we'll make a call to Herr and have them replace the windows in the Parkliner (if that is our choice)...with only three main windows to replace it won't break the bank.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #118

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
that my #1 current choice of a trailer (Parkliner) has only single pane jalousie, but we'll manage! Maybe a few seasons down the road we'll make a call to Herr and have them replace the windows in the Parkliner (if that is our choice)...with only three main windows to replace it won't break the bank.
If you are have also considered an Escape and ruled it out due to windows, if you havent already asked perhaps Escape might be willing to put them in right from the start for you - never know until you ask. Lots of people have asked them for modifications at the new build stage and their wishes have came true.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #119

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you are have also considered an Escape and ruled it out due to windows, if you havent already asked perhaps Escape might be willing to put them in right from the start for you - never know until you ask. Lots of people have asked them for modifications at the new build stage and their wishes have came true.

Hey, Carol!

I think you already had this convo with Thom...see posts 11 & 12 at this thread.

His reasons for passing on the Escape aren't limited to the windows...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #120

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Yuppers on more reasons than the window treatment.
No offense to Escape designers or owners, my wife and i are more inclined to go with the ease of maintenance in the primarily-fiberglass interior of such units as Casita, Trillium, or Parkliner while we are mucking about in the woods... As our full time Mobile Suite has the charm & class that maple cabinetry brings. Change of scenery and lifestyle.

: ) Thom
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #121

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I think you already had this convo with Thom...see posts 11 & 12 at this thread.
memory is the first thing to go! but looks like my original convo was in regards to a Maxxi air vent.... this convo was in regards to a possible whole window change. My apologizes I should have gone back and read through the whole original thread & follow ups to see that he did indeed mention one other reason for taking the Escape off his list. My bad!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #122

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Quote:
memory is the first thing to go!..
I think it is amazing that any of us can keep track of all the cross-thread-info. FGRV forums is a great resource!

Happy Trails
Thom
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #123

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
I think it is amazing that any of us can keep track of all the cross-thread-info. FGRV forums is a great resource!

Happy Trails
Thom
LOL Thom I suspect the truth be known there are not many of us that can!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #124

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cool

Quote:
LOL Thom I suspect the truth be known there are not many of us that can!
...as i pull out my AARP card
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #125

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Um, what were we talking about, again? lol

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape