My pick: Escape trailer - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #101
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Raz, I'm considering an Escape. I haven't gone as far as talking exact options with them yet, but I've also been under the "will do anything you want" impression (with the exception of anything that just doesn't work with their molds). I'm curious: what did you want that they wouldn't/couldn't do?

Thanks.
Jalousie windows. We seldom camp where there is power so no air conditioning. Our last trailer had slider windows. When it rained they had to be closed. The trailer quickly became uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. We swore the next one had to have windows that could be left open when it rained. At that time they would not install jalousies. Nor would they install a front window of any type. that would open. We bought the Trillium instead because of the windows. Ironically the front window is one of the few parts of the trailer that has not been a problem. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1332014137.jpg   image-1928040506.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #102

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Ironically the front window is one of the few parts of the trailer that has not been a problem. Raz
Hey, Raz!

I remember all the problems you had with that trailer- did Trillium ultimately make it right with you folks?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #103

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
P. Raz,
I am amazed at your patience, you have really stuck with your trailer through all those problems over the years. I don't know if I could have done the same.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #104
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hey, Raz!

I remember all the problems you had with that trailer- did Trillium ultimately make it right with you folks?

Thanks!

Francesca
We got half a can of Bondo . Lots of unfulfilled promises and creative excuses. We gave up on them... And made lemonade.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #105

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Raz: Thanks for the info. I agree -- windows that can be opened in the rain are very important. Like you we won't be using air conditioning. We currently camp in a tent trailer, and most of the time the only reason we put out the canopy is so that we can leave some of the windows (under the canopy) unzipped. But we're also aware that being able to open the tent trailer right up is important for our comfort on occasion. I was/am worried about having a stuffy trailer when the weather is warm.

On the other hand, jalousie windows look like they'd be terrible in cold weather -- no real way to make sure they're sealed. Admittedly that comes from no real experience -- just looking at a few pictures.

You imply they will do jalousie windows now, but it's not clear to me that for the type of camping I plan that they're a great idea. I was hoping that between the fan in ceiling, a window in the bathroom (where water shouldn't be a concern), the sliding window(s?) under the canopy, and the extra insulation package, that it wouldn't be a problem.

Regardless, it's good to have a bit more perspective on arguments against the customizability of escape trailers.

Alf: It is interesting to see how companies evolve. It sounds like Escape is going in the right direction.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #106

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The credit card company charged you close to 4%, that's consistent with my experience. Did you check the exchange rate on the day of your final payment. I bet it was lower than what you were charged. I was told you never get that advertised rate. Large banks get reduced fees that you and I are too small to get. Banks don't do anything for free. Two years before I was shopping the rates were quite favorable for US customers. Eighty five cents on the Canadian dollar. A good deal for us. When I was looking things were about par. It's a little like the lottery. Sounds like you were a winner! Since you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters.
Raz, I did some investigating of charges and alternatives before I did the deal and determined that everyone was going to take a cut of my transaction if I let them. I did a $500 deposit on my card and that cost me over 3% but it wasn't that much money; about $20. When I paid the balance...almost $30k, I went to my bank and had a cashiers check in US dollars drawn at no charge because I carry a high checking account balance then asked Tammy to get the best exchange rate from her bank when she cashed the check and they converted it to Canadian dollars. She was able to get prevailing exchange rate with no additional charge because it is her business bank...no charge cards were involved (they will cost you 3% minimum no matter what)...strictly cash. I saved a lot of money doing my homework before the deal. I figure I saved around $1,200.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It could be where I camp, but I have never needed much ventilation whenever it rains, as temps cool pretty good, and cracking a window under the awning along with the Max fan on low is plenty enough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #108

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It could be where I camp, but I have never needed much ventilation whenever it rains, as temps cool pretty good, and cracking a window under the awning along with the Max fan on low is plenty enough.
I'm glad that works for you, but for myself simplicity of arrangements is key to my philosophy that my trailer must serve my requirements.

Having to deploy an awning and use electricity seems like an overcomplication when the design of the window will provide a satisfactory result.

Francesca
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #109

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My trailer has sliders. So my solution was to have the dealer include a MaxxAir covered vent fan over the bathroom vent, and a Maxx cover over the forward vent. That way I could have ample ventilation even with all windows closed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
......my trailer must serve my requirements.
Mine too, that is why why I got one with batteries and an awning, it serves my requirements. Besides, as we are talking about rain situations, this is why I like to use the awning, it gives us a nice dry entry area, and most other folks we camp with do the same. The awning is set up every time the trailer is, unless it is a quick overnight stop. Not only for rain, it serves well as a sun shade for us and the trailer. The fan being on when it rains happens about 2% of the time, max. I just mentioned it as an option.

I don't for a minute think my choices are right for everyone, just an opinion of what I like,ad what works, for my own use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #111

Ontario
Each to their own... We'll use an awning regularly, usually more against showers than sun given our camping habits. I'm looking forward to one that deploys easily rather than the zip-on pain-in-the-backside I deal with now. (Though I admit I look at the thing and wonder how often it causes problems at highway speeds...)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #112

Registry
Doug, I hear you on those bagged awnings. I had one on a tent trailer years ago, and though they would do the job, deploying them was a bit of a pain, and eventually the zipper goes, making it a real hassle to use until fixed.

I have never had an issue on the road with the roll up awnings I have used for the past many years now.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #113

Ontario
I have no real experience with them and I've only heard of one problem with a roll-up awning (posted fairly recently, either here or on the escape forum) but they *look* dangerous -- they definitely get my "potential problem detector" ticking...

I don't know if it's the nature of my job (software geek), or a strong streak of pessimism, but whenever I look at anything new (to me), I have to start analyzing design weaknesses and how it might fail...

Of course the awning I have is not danger free... Falling off the bucket I use as a step to reach the top of it to do the zipper is not so much a risk as an inevitability... But it's only happened once or twice... Seems I'm more comfortable risking my own neck than damage to a nice shiny trailer.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #114

Registry
I love my pulldown/retractable awning for its ease/speed/convenience. Takes perhaps one minute to open or close.

For do-it-yourselfers out there:

I was much too cheap to pay full price for one with installed fabric....especially since I had an unused vertical-stripe awning canopy that I'd taken from another trailer. I bought the arms/tube/hardware from Joe Thoen at Trillium Canada (now Outback) back in 2006 and installed it myself, fabric and all.

I don't know what others are using, but the unit Outback supplied me with is the Carefree Fiesta model that comes with travellocks on both arms. I like that feature as I've read a few stories about on-highway accidental deployment and travellocks are insurance against such an event.

Though I really only used the old awning fabric because it was in new condition and cost me nothing, once I got it on I realized that it really LOOKS better on my 1978 trailer than the newer horizontal-fade that's available now. I even added fringe to the front flap to sort of complete the old-timey look...probably the only strictly cosmetic "improvement" I've ever done to the trailer. (Or needed to! )

The one thing I regret is that I didn't ask for the awning tube to be cut about eight inches or so longer. There's room on the trailer for it, and I'm sure I needn't tell any of you how much difference a few inches of space can make on units as small as ours.

Francesca
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #115

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Raz: Thanks for the info. I agree -- windows that can be opened in the rain are very important. . .
On the other hand, jalousie windows look like they'd be terrible in cold weather -- no real way to make sure they're sealed. Admittedly that comes from no real experience -- just looking at a few pictures. . .
Just wanted to add my real world insights on jalousie/vent windows. We have thermal pane jalousie windows on all sides of our 38ft Mobile Suite we live in full time on the Oregon Coast. Ours are made by Herr International and they work great in hot or cold conditions. Our unit is a 2006 and there are no visible signs of any water intrusion. I will say that window style is the first thing i look for in a trailer...if the rig does not have jalousie/vent windows i move on to another brand. For me, if i can't open the windows in our typical rain squals that rumble through during nearly any week of the year, i can't see spending the money on the rig. And though the MaxxAir window treatment/vents can and do work, i like the idea of purpose built design such as the jalousie/vent window rather than a _fix_.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #116

Registry
Do jalousie windows come dual glazed if you want? Dual glazed improves comfort a fair bit in cold or hot weather.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #117

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do jalousie windows come dual glazed if you want? . .
Well....with a cost they do. dual pane/thermal jalousie windows are available at the Herr website i linked. And ours in the Mobile Suite are great as i said...but then...our MS brand new sold for 127k in 2006 and has everything including a washer/dryer : ) but don't go anywhere without a 50amp service!

...as a PS:
If you visit the Herr website you will find they will have the dual pane jalousie windows in various styles and they will match your existing window size. They are about $600 to $900 a window, but the difference is striking. Our neighbor's units without dual pane windows wake up to a drippy mess every morning nine months of the year. There is no condensation in our unit. For a full time rig, they are a must IMO. I do realize, that my #1 current choice of a trailer (Parkliner) has only single pane jalousie, but we'll manage! Maybe a few seasons down the road we'll make a call to Herr and have them replace the windows in the Parkliner (if that is our choice)...with only three main windows to replace it won't break the bank.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #118

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
that my #1 current choice of a trailer (Parkliner) has only single pane jalousie, but we'll manage! Maybe a few seasons down the road we'll make a call to Herr and have them replace the windows in the Parkliner (if that is our choice)...with only three main windows to replace it won't break the bank.
If you are have also considered an Escape and ruled it out due to windows, if you havent already asked perhaps Escape might be willing to put them in right from the start for you - never know until you ask. Lots of people have asked them for modifications at the new build stage and their wishes have came true.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #119

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you are have also considered an Escape and ruled it out due to windows, if you havent already asked perhaps Escape might be willing to put them in right from the start for you - never know until you ask. Lots of people have asked them for modifications at the new build stage and their wishes have came true.

Hey, Carol!

I think you already had this convo with Thom...see posts 11 & 12 at this thread.

His reasons for passing on the Escape aren't limited to the windows...

Francesca
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #120

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Yuppers on more reasons than the window treatment.
No offense to Escape designers or owners, my wife and i are more inclined to go with the ease of maintenance in the primarily-fiberglass interior of such units as Casita, Trillium, or Parkliner while we are mucking about in the woods... As our full time Mobile Suite has the charm & class that maple cabinetry brings. Change of scenery and lifestyle.

: ) Thom

Tags
escape