My RV search begins - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Robin - I raised & showed Rotties for 10 years and always thought I'd like to try Agility (with a different breed).

Our Scamp 13 has no bath, just the porta-pottie in the cubby under the front bench. This works fine for us - we use CG facilities if available during the day. When we started full-timing, we took a page from Gina's book and carried a Coleman showerhead, curtains, rods, etc. in a storage tub which was to double as the "shower pan". However, we've never put that plan into action, since we received a terrific 'privacy room' as a gift from my daughter. I think the brand is "StanSport" from Cabela's. We have used it extensively when dry-camping on the BLM lands at Quartzsite and at many Forest Service CG's, which seldom have showers. I feel safe enough using it, but I'm not traveling alone - it really does work, and you could wait until later in the evening when the pups are in bed to shower 'under cover of darkness'.

We have been inside the 13 footers with the front bath - they are very nice, but I would hate to give up the light and view from our wonderful big window in the front!

Sounds like you are doing solid research. Good luck in finding the FGRV just right for you. Take care, L 'n D

Old 10-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting ideas about shower options! Thanks all!! I will definitely consider that rubbermaid tub as an option when looking at floorplans. If I find the perfect one without a shower ... I'll know there is a way around that. Cool!

I measured my garage yesterday, as I hope to store my egg (I love that term!) in there. The opening is 8' across, so they fit ... though not a lot of room for mistakes. I'll have to quiz you guys on clever ways to backup since I'll have to be doing it solo. The length is actually longer than I thought. A 16' would fit, but I would have a narrow aisle left next to the washer/dryer. Since the only way to the backyard is thru the garage, that might make me claustrophobic after awhile. So as much as I'd love the extra space in a 16' egg, I think shorter will work out better. That said, I'm excited the garage is longer than I thought as that makes the 15' Trillium option very appealing! Now I can't wait to see what they will be offering this spring.

I'd like to add, this forum and all of you are awesome! Thanks! I've been so overwhelmed whenever I started looking into RVs. I still feel like there is sooooo much to learn but I know where to find answers.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Did you measure the height of the garage door?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Did you measure the height of the garage door?
Uh oh. You can tell I'm not used to thinking about that 3rd dimension. I went and checked - just short of 7'. About 6'10" would scrape the garage door when it is opened up. Then I went to check a few specs; that brings me down to earth quickly. The Scamp and the Trillium are too tall to fit. The Casita does though - so at least that gives me an option. Fortunately, I am only 5'3" so wouldn't have a problem with the lower interior height that some seem to have.

To go longer/taller, I'd either have to store it elsewhere or convince my landlord to let me pave over the side yard next to the driveway. Not sure they'd go for that! I have to keep the weight in mind too. My Tribute is rated for 3500. I know from the reading I've done here already, that I want to keep well below that for safety reasons.

Ok, I am getting some very good parameters to help me in my search. This is good!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
A Casita would not fit. They are over 7 feet exterior height. Older Bolers would fit (again, not available new.)

This is why I got a Campster! (Unfortunately not available new.)

Some people do take the wheels off the trailer for storage in the garage, you can find threads on that if you search the forum.

Instead of paving you might consider lawn pavers... not sure what they are called, but they go in the lawn, grass grows over them, but they keep your wheels from sinking into mud. The landlord might not mind that at all.

Bobbie
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #20

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
another "Shower" option for you involves the tub, but scales it down to a Navy Shower.

I have a full shower in my 17, but only actually use it every other day or so if boondocking. This saves water and holding tank woes. Since I have a wet bath, I fill the bathroom sink with hot water and use a wash cloth to soak down, I then soap up and scrub, then rinse down using the washcloth and clean water from the sink again. You are just as clean as showering, but you don't get the nice relaxing stream.

You could use the tub instead. Water from a washcloth does not splash everywhere.

You could wash your hair in the sink. I wash my hair on shower day.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #21

Quote:
A Casita would not fit. They are over 7 feet exterior height.

Instead of paving you might consider lawn pavers
Oh darn - you're right. I was looking at the # for interior height, not exterior. Sigh. So no garage storage after all. Lawn pavers - what are they exactly? I'm guessing kinda like bricks or stepping stones? It was awhile back that I checked city codes on storing RVs so I'll do that again, and see if something like that is allowed. I do know I'm not allowed to store it on grass which is what is in the side yard now. Not that it seems like a great idea even if it were allowed.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
another "Shower" option for you involves the tub, but scales it down to a Navy Shower.
Yes, I've thought of that if I can't get a shower. Simply rinsing off. I'll go that way if I have to but ... I feel so sweaty and grimy after a day of agility that an actual shower is appealing. I have used my folks' shower in their trailer. While it doesn't have the power of a shower at home, it's still refreshing.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #23

Washington
Registry
If they don't allow storage on grass then they might not allow these.

http://www.grassypavers.com/

That's one example; there are other kinds. They might be more likely to allow the concrete ones. (So it doesn't look like they are allowing you to park on grass.)

Rant: it seems to me that telling you where you can park on your own property is a great example of too much government! In our town you have to have one covered parking space. It does not have to be used for parking. How dumb is that?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #24

Quote:
If they don't allow storage on grass then they might not allow these.

http://www.grassypavers.com/

Rant: it seems to me that telling you where you can park on your own property is a great example of too much government! In our town you have to have one covered parking space. It does not have to be used for parking. How dumb is that?
No go. I just searched out the code again. Various items about being on private property, not blocking public right of way or emergency access. Item 2 states simply: [b]Recreational vehicles shall be parked on a paved surface.

My city government loves to interfere, that's why I went looking. I figured they'd have code regulations and I was right. Don't get me started on their new rules about garbage cans and where you can put them ...
Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Let's keep this on topic please.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #26

Sorry - getting back on topic

I just went and measured my driveway and my Tribute. It is easily long enough for both a 13' or a 15' and my SUV. I could even squeeze in a 16' if I decided to go that long. A 17' would put the back of my SUV right at the end of the driveway - too close for my comfort. I think I will stick with the 13' eggs I've been looking at and keep my eye on the new 15' that Trillium will be putting out.

I'm having to switch gears becuase I really had planned to keep it in the garage. So now, a question for others who can't keep theirs under cover. Do you just leave them out, or put tarps over them?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Sorry - getting back on topic

I just went and measured my driveway and my Tribute. It is easily long enough for both a 13' or a 15' and my SUV. I could even squeeze in a 16' if I decided to go that long. A 17' would put the back of my SUV right at the end of the driveway - too close for my comfort. I think I will stick with the 13' eggs I've been looking at and keep my eye on the new 15' that Trillium will be putting out.

I'm having to switch gears becuase I really had planned to keep it in the garage. So now, a question for others who can't keep theirs under cover. Do you just leave them out, or put tarps over them?
Seems like I have heard that the older Scamps do fit in the garage... apparently they sit a little lower. Not sure if you have any desire for a pre-loved egg, but something to think about.

There's a school in my back yard, so I drive around through their parking lot and back up an embankment into my yard to park the Burro. I can't see buying a tarp, but some people do that.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I think it depends upon where you live and what you're trying to accomplish by covering the trailer. I live in the PacificNorthWET. Mold/meldew and black spots are a concern on the finish. However, I also live in a VERY windy area and putting a tarp directly on the trailer causes more harm than mold that can be washed off. Consequently, I've changed gears and provided a metal carport for my trailer's hibernation. Now, it stays dry, out of the direct sun/heat and about all that happens to the finish is it gets dusty. I'm fortunate enough to have the space next to my home and behind the fence line. While not hugely expensive, its far more $$ than a tarp. But I also think of it as an investment to my property because now I've provided a potential buyer of the property a place to park their RV/boat/toys, etc. offstreet parking is at a premium in my neighborhood.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote