My Scamp was in the middle of our Field Day! - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
My Scamp was in the middle of our Field Day!

All of Ham Radio came alive across the US this weekend as Ham Radio Field Day was staged by Amateur Radio Operators nationwide. Me & my Scamp were deep into it at the Myrtle Beach Ham Radio Club set up field operations at the Red Cross Center. I made a magical panoramic photo of our event via photosynth...
http://photosynth.net/view/6773474f-...2-94b51358d83d

Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Cool, I see a number of wire antennas, a Buddie Pole, a portable vertical (I couldn't tell the brand) It looks like the crank up tower mounted on a trailer was used only for support of some the wire antennas.
I stayed at home, weather was not that good. Both Anne, KE7VUV and I AK7EE, made a few contacts and each worked as 1D. If I'd been really serious about I would have connected battery and solar panel and operated 1E.
Maybe next year we'll get into the mountains. I worked field day the last 3 years with the local club, but club politics and doing a lot of the work kind put an end to that for a while.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Cool, I see a number of wire antennas, a Buddie Pole, a portable vertical (I couldn't tell the brand) It looks like the crank up tower mounted on a trailer was used only for support of some the wire antennas.
I stayed at home, weather was not that good. Both Anne, KE7VUV and I AK7EE, made a few contacts and each worked as 1D. If I'd been really serious about I would have connected battery and solar panel and operated 1E.
Maybe next year we'll get into the mountains. I worked field day the last 3 years with the local club, but club politics and doing a lot of the work kind put an end to that for a while.
Hey! Any contact is a great contact Byron, I know well what you mean by club politics, I can definitely detract from the experience, but for me, I get a kick out of doing field day to help get the general public involved.

If someone walks up wanting to know something about Ham Radio, I usually try to get them to sit down and work a contact or two themselves. Some don't take the bait, some do, and those that do come away with a mile-wide grin and a eagerness to get their Ham Ticket. We had a young lady, who tagged along with her Boyfriends Father who was a Ham, who we got to sit down and make some calls. She got a pileup going and logged around 20 contacts! We coached her along of course but after the first few contacts, she got into it and took to it like a pro! Afterward she was giddy! I won't be surprised she & her boyfriend gets involved in ham radio.

It would of been neat to make a contact between us, maybe next year. Meanwhile, check out this link to another photosynth panorama I made, this one the view inside my screen tent where I had my rig set up outside the Scamp. I got two of my friends working my rig while I took the photo... '73

Tags
scamp