My travels and travails - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My travels and travails

After Christmas I went to Az. My elder son came out from Mi and spent a great week with me. After he went home I reconnected with a former girlfriend from 1961 and we spent some quality time together. Then we decided to visit Death Valley. Foolishly, I made a poor decision regarding taking a photo in the ghost town of Rhyolite where I fell and badly broke my arm/shoulder which required surgery. A friend suggested that possibly my actions had nothing to do with my fall thinking that, since it happened in a ghost town, that a ghost pushed me. I like that better than me being at fault. My younger son flew out and drove the trailer and me to his home in Indianapolis where I will stay until March 8 or 15 when he'll return me and my stuff home to Mi. Needless to say, my travels will be put on the back burner for an indeterminate amount of time. One bright spot was the fiberglass rally at Quartzsite. Ran into a man who remembered me, my trailer, my campsite from a rally in Indiana from two years ago.

I
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Gosh, I'm sure sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery. I was in Quartzite and did see your Egg but nobody was around when I was there. My Bigfoot was up on the bluff. There were so many trailers and people there it would have been really difficult to meet everyone. I was in Death Valley and also went to Rhyolite last week. I really enjoyed Rhyolite. Hopefully we will get to meet some time in the near future.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Oh Bob, so sorry to hear about your injury but sure glad to hear you have been out and enjoying your camping trips! I hope that this is just a short term pause in your new life adventure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like the story about the ghost Bob... and it WASN't Grace. She made sure you didn't hurt yourself more.

Safe travels, heal quickly... there's more memories yet to be made.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Something about this winter and camping is jinxed. We have been at this one campground in Ga for 3 months now. In that time 2 campers have gone to the emergency room, one with heart problems, the other fell and broke ribs. Two others have fallen, one just finally had knee surgery yesterday. One camper hit a tree backing in and damaged his trailer, another lost a utility trailer with a motorcycle on it on his way here resulting in the bike being destroyed. Another guy crashed into the back of his motor home just missing his wife while hooking up the tow bar and another motorhome pulling a car had a tire blow out on the car resulting in $5000 damage to the car, and another motor home was damaged on it's way here and had to be replaced. During a traffic backup out on I 95 a few miles from here a Volkswagon rear ended a 5th wheel camper destroying the car and camper. We must be in the Devil's Triangle of campers here. Besides all that the weather hasn't been all that great here either. Time to head home. Wishing you speedy recovery Bob R.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Bob

I was right next to you two at that Indiana Rally and we stood in my Casita and talked for a while,remember?

You were just happy to be camping and the Egg looked like the ideal rig for you 2 too!

Hope you recover quickly and can get back on the road soon,if you want to.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Thanks Ed and I do remember you and your trailer. It was the first Casita I ever saw inside of. At the Quartzsite rally I ran into a guy who remembered me from the In rally. I believe his name was Mike. I'm in the process of trying to decide if I want to sell my EggCamper and get an Escape 19. I saw two at the rally and liked them. I'd like the better sleeping space for when someone would go with me. Since I'm now a widower I'll have to start looking for a travelling companion.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Bob and Bob, it sounds like I'm better off here in the snow. Bob R. Hope you heal quickly and are back on the road soon. Bob and Mary, safe trip home. Next week as I recall? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Got to watch those ghost's, they don't like getting their pics taken. Best of luck and a speedy recovery.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
What an unfortunate time to fall and break. (I'm a photographer so I HAVE to ask - was the camera OK?). I thought a bit about the ghost theory and find myself playing with the idea that it is behaviour more typical of a poltergeist.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way hoping you can get back to camping in the minimal time possible.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bob
Sorry to hear about your fall but I'm glad to hear you are on the mend and seem to have things under control. I don't want to hijack your thread but did you have the Good Sam travel insurance? I decided to buy it this year for a situation just like you encountered and issues like (NY) Bob described. I hope I never have to use it but I guess that is why they call it insurance.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry

Bob, here's to speedy healing for you!!
You will hopefully be able to get some camping time in by summer
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Bob wishing you a painless recovery. And a safe one.