my Uncle was ahead of his day :- ) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
my Uncle was ahead of his day :- )

I have an uncle that had such a huge impact on my love for boating, diving , camping , sailing and the great outdoors! I got to live with him and my aunt in Monterey and Forestville California in the 60's! He made houseboats one at a time and would sell them. He called his company (American Houseboats) and as a 8 year old, I had the best summer helping him build this boat! He made this so you could trailer it to use on land when not on water. I remember this boat being in a boating magazine . To me he was bigger than life and as a Italian, no one could tell stories better my uncle! When I looked at him while he told me a story about fishing, I could just picture what he was talking about. I can't help but think that this boat would make a killing in todays market if they were still being made! Just wanted to share this with everyone ! Here is a picture of him in his days in the Navy.
All the best, Monte
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0304.jpg   IMG_0089.jpg  

Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
proud

monte you have every right to be proud of him. what an opportunity to learn things!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Home made
Illinois
house Boat Camper

I've thought about this many times and thought an easy way to do it would be to use an old pontoon frame and just build the camper body ontop..........trailer it to a camp ground or use it on the water
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
I've thought about this many times and thought an easy way to do it would be to use an old pontoon frame and just build the camper body ontop..........trailer it to a camp ground or use it on the water
How about this? It's an Avion truck camper restored and mounted on a pontoon boat. Nothing redneck about it!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avion Houseboat.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	114117
Yes, that's a deck on top.

Monte, your uncle sounds like a pretty amazing person! Thanks for sharing his story.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
What a handsome fellow ! Wow what a good looking boat too! And great memories he gave you ! Thankyou for sharing ! My grandparents were Italian too and yes they sure can have you mesmerized with their incredible stories . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
I have an uncle that had such a huge impact on my love for boating, diving , camping , sailing and the great outdoors! I got to live with him and my aunt in Monterey and Forestville California in the 60's! He made houseboats one at a time and would sell them. He called his company (American Houseboats) and as a 8 year old, I had the best summer helping him build this boat! He made this so you could trailer it to use on land when not on water. I remember this boat being in a boating magazine . To me he was bigger than life and as a Italian, no one could tell stories better my uncle! When I looked at him while he told me a story about fishing, I could just picture what he was talking about. I can't help but think that this boat would make a killing in todays market if they were still being made! Just wanted to share this with everyone ! Here is a picture of him in his days in the Navy.
All the best, Monte
------------------------------------------

Thanks for the memories, Montie ! I've spent lots of time in Monterrey, including in the little-known city park near the Pacific Grove area where you can camp overnight with tent or RV. My parents built their own house in Forestville, and much of the family lived in next door Santa Rosa . Are you old enough to remember all the RV and trailer sales along Santa Rosa Avenue ? And how is your sailboat project coming along ? Happy Trails ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
That really was the Greatest Generation. Cool boat, and and an even cooler Uncle. Thanks Monte.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Do you have any more pictures?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #9

California
Registry
My Uncle was ahead of his day

Hi Lee, Here was the other boat he built! He got the idea from taking 2 cabover camper shells and putting them together! The next model had a deck on top! I wish I had pictures of the inside of them! They were cool boats ! In my eyes, my uncle was so cool! He was never afraid of anything! The one thing that made a huge impression on was to not be afraid to make mistakes in life. He started businesses that he had no idea how to run and made them very profitable .
All the best, Monte
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0090.jpg  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #10

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
I live in Forestville. Grew up in Monte Rio in the 60's. Great childhood. Great memories.
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

California
Registry
my Uncle was ahead of his day

We lived up on the hill behind the store near the river in Forestville! I loved swinging on the rope that was on the bridge . Great memories in Forestville !
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That first boat you pictured looks elegant and graceful. How was the hull waterproofed? Was it wood? Did it have a steel frame underneath for the axle to attach to, or what?
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #13

California
Registry
My Uncle was ahead of his day

Hi Mike, I'm pretty sure he use aluminum ribs ( I think ) with wood and fiberglass! She worked like a dream!

All the best, Monte

-----------------------------

2 Chr. 7:14 I did and I'm ready! Take care brother
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #14

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
We lived up on the hill behind the store near the river in Forestville! I loved swinging on the rope that was on the bridge . Great memories in Forestville !
Hacienda Bridge ?
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote