Mysterious Moving Chicken Feeder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Mysterious Moving Chicken Feeder

About a week ago I couldn't find our big chicken feeder that sits on the porch. I thought "What the heck?" So I am looking around and I find it by the chicken coop 20 feet away with the dog dish that is not even attached still sitting on it. The second picture is where it sits on the porch. The third picture is where I found it this morning. My husband says it is either deer or coons because nothing else is disturbed. Well, that is one hell of a coon or deer or a whole herd that can scoot a feeder 20 feet off a porch with a two foot drop and not lose the dog dish. We have motion detector lights but if I am snoring they don't do much good. I may have to resort to the web cam and other measures.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0219.jpg   DSC_0220.jpg  

DSC_0216.jpg  
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Are the contents gone? If so, I must say that it's really nice of the varmint that's eating them to put the lid back on. My money's on raccoons, since they have "hands". Sort of.

Francesca

P.S.

Or ghosts. Or who/whatever was responsible for the-what was it- "object up in a tree?" a few months ago.

OR

Maybe you just live in some strange magnetic field convergence like The Oregon Vortex!

F
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Iowa
Registry
No contents gone. Mystery object was the result of a squirrel and an end of a french bread roll upon further observation. Like he thought it was going to be there when he got back. A piece of pizza made it into the tree also.

Like it floats over there? To early for the Trolls to come out. Nordic Fest isn't for another two weeks. I have never seen one but I suppose if you eat enough lutefisk soup you would see them.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Area 51 just celebrated 66 years... THEY'RE back
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #5

Iowa
Registry
Aliens. Never thought of that. Rigged the feeder to a rope and a cow bell. If it can untie the rope that is one smart what ever it is if it's not human. Like I said, it did not appear anything was eaten from the feeder after it was moved. It was just sitting where it was. I
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Perhaps it moved like the rocks in Racetrack Playa in Death Valley. Mystery of Death Valley's 'Sailing Stones' Solved | Moving Rocks | LiveScience As this article concludes, maybe we'd rather live with the mystery!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Iowa
Registry
This weekend we are getting the traps out. The compost lid was off. I tied the feeder to the porch and put a big rock on top of it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL if you where around here Cyndi I would have tossed a bear onto the possible suspect list! I am surprised it was a squirrel would have put my money on the raccoon. They are much stronger & creative than many will give them credit for - once had one do $20,000 damage to my home. Insurance company told said it wasnt the first such claim they had resulting from a little raccoon either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Load it back up and place back on the porch and spread some flower around it. Next morning the foot prints will tell you who's been snooping around.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Could be gremlins or just magic.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

Iowa
Registry
Never thought about flour. Easier then setting up the web cam. Great idea. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
You need a motion wildlife camera. I have one that takes pictures night or day with the use of infrared. It also takes video by motion night or day. Then you would have a picture or video of the varmint. If you have any family or friends that deer hunt; they should have one you could borrow since deer season isn't in now. Heck, they would probably come set it up for you. We love things like that. I had a friend that kept having his metal trash can filled with sunflower seeds carried away at night. Wildlife camera took a great picture of a black bear that would weigh approximately 400lbs-500lbs.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #13

Iowa
Registry
My son has a hunting pal who is big into that thing. In fact, he does videos and puts them on Facebook, UTube, etc.. I don't think we have any bears passing through, though we have in the past. Yes, Iowa sees an occasional moose and bear.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I always put jello in the refrigerator hoping to catch any elephant foot prints left by those rogue animals.