Nascar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Nascar

Any NASCAR fans out there? I'm a so so fan. Followed the #24 back when they won all the time.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not too much, but I can appreciate the effort of the sport. I watched the Daytona 500 because I knew history was going to be made. Added that to my memory book! I was "there."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

Registry
It was cool having NASCAR in Vegas for the first several years. Now I've gotten free tickets for the past several years and can hardly give them away. I got tired of fighting the 100,000 plus crowd trying to get there and leave at the same time.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Five or eight years ago, NASCAR was looking to expand in the Pacific Northwest. I live a few miles from a small town east of Portland, Oregon... called Troutdale. There is FLAT land available that was the former Kaiser Aluminum plant which is about 15 miles from Portland INTERNATIONAL Airport. Troutdale SO wanted NASCAR to build a track on that land, there were petitioners every 100 feet asking for signatures. Hundreds of thousands of people signed the petitions. You know what? They awarded the track to a city in Washington State that petitioned to NOT have the track. Go figure...

Long story... short.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Back in 2009, I was looking for something different to watch in sports, so we took our Scamp to the Nascar Autoclub 500 in Fontana, CA. We had more fun talking with the avid fans in the stands than we did watching the race, grin. We didn't know any of the drivers (had heard of Earnhardt), but found out it was his son, Dale, Jr that was racing now...doh. Everyone was nice, kidded us quite a bit, but not at all what I thought Nascar fans were like (shame on me), very friendly folks. We've been watching on TV ever since. We like Tony Stewart, but always root for Dale, Jr.
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #6

Registry
My brother is a huge fan so I started following his guy #24 Jeff Gordon. My bro moved back to WA. several years ago so I'm not as much of a fan anymore. I work for the school district in Las Vegas and at the last minute the track usually donates a bunch of tickets to the big race if they are in danger of not selling out. I always go and pick up my tickets and if I don't use them I give them to friends.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Used to wait all saturday afternoon for5minutes of film from a race on the wide world of sports in the '70s, you know,, the guy that fell off the end of the ski jump.
Was at the 1983 Daytona 500. Went to Vegas in "04 and we're planning to go to the Califorina Speedway race next weekend!
I raced a bit at our local short track in my 30s and still miss it. Check my thread " A Hole on the Highway" here in general chat for a link to my video driving the Vegas Speedway with 1 800 BEPETTY. Went 150 mph average last couple of laps, was a blast . Been a gearhead all my life with0 interest in stick and ball games.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Closest I get to Nascar is watching a couple of grandkids racing with go-karts. Their home track is in Calgary but they travel a bit in western Canada. The older boy won the Western Canada Go-Kart championship in his class last season.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Any NASCAR fans out there? I'm a so so fan. Followed the #24 back when they won all the time.
I used to be. I'll watch it if I'm around a tv (I don't have tv) and happen to see it, but I lost most of my interest when they went to cookie cutter cars, and sissifying it.

I used to race the bottom class at our dirt track back home, and loved it. I go to the circle track here fairly often.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I used to be. I'll watch it if I'm around a tv (I don't have tv) and happen to see it, but I lost most of my interest when they went to cookie cutter cars, and sissifying it.

I used to race the bottom class at our dirt track back home, and loved it. I go to the circle track here fairly often.
Hey Jared I hear ya on the cars but the boys still run hard.
I also hear ya on the bottom class. This is me 1982. I raced pavement though.
The other picture is the car I drove at Vegas last year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000943.jpg   IMG_00000942.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #11

Kansas
Here's my $400 beater. '73 ltd with a 429, c6, 9" with welded 4.11's.

The pig was good enough for second in points for several years.

A few races before I went to college, I was passing a friend of mine on the outside on the turn, he floored it, came up into my, hooked my bumper in his car, he spun in front of it, and ended up upside down with his hood on my roof, and his roof on my hood. we went into the wall at 60 mph or so.

Sheared the frame off behind the rear suspension, put the fan and water pump through the radiator, taco'd the front frame rails, cracked the transmission. Poor old girl almost made it. I couldn't see due to his car being there, and hit the wall standing on the brakes. I told the emergency crew I could get out, crawled out the window, and crumpled. Good times. I didn't really hurt anything, but I couldn't drive the truck home and run the clutch, so friends took it to their place and my gf gave me a ride home.

I can't imagine the hits these nascar guys take, safety devices or not.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #12

Registry
Boy that picture reminds me of home! Most of the old beater racers looked like yours. Plus I grew up on Saskatchewan, same flat as that pic. Could watch your dog run away for 3 days! Lol
I have found if you start a conversation with someone someone will know someone from Saskatchewan!!
Happened to me on friday. I'm getting a haircut by a young lady I had never meet before. This is in a mall in Oceanside SoCal. Our discussion turns to home town, I tell her Saskatoon, she says was her grammas home town!
Anyway I digress
Fred
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #13

Kansas
You aren't far off, that's maybe 90 miles from the border, used to run up to regina once in a while.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I lost interest in NASCAR when they quit using right out of the showroom cars. Guess that kinda dates me. Lost interest in the Mexican Road Race too, after the Lincoln won it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Pronunciation

Where I used to live when they pronounced NASCAR the N was silent. I never realized how big NASCAR and football was until I went to school in Knoxville Tennessee I would get up in the morning and the TV would be showing U of T and NASCAR "practice" highlights In the northern Midwest the morning news consists of 15 minutes of weather surrounded by commercials
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
NASCAR - world's longest, most boring left turn...

F1 fan here - we do right hand turns too...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote