National Forest campground closures locally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
National Forest campground closures locally

Here in North Florida we are blessed to have a large National Forest, the Apalachicola: Apalachicola National Forest, a Florida natlforest located near Tallahassee Mom cut me a very short article out of our local paper, the Tallahassee Democrat, that stated two of the campgrounds out there would be closing or have day use hours only. They are Wright Lake and Camel Lake campgrounds.

We have stayed at Wright ($10) and it was a very, very nice 18 space campground on a nice little lake. Seems they are having trouble getting "Staff" according to the article. I suspect they really mean "Hosts". I have not been to Camel but Wright has water at each site (no electric or sewer) and very nice full bathrooms. There is an Iron Ranger for fees and a dump station. I think Camel actually had a few $15 electric sites. The Host at Wright (and I assume Camel) of course had full hookups.

It is a shame to loose these nice campgrounds although close by is a more primitive campground (Hickory Landing, $3) with a central spigot and vault toilets. We have started boondocking out in the Forest anyway and have not been going to the regular campgrounds lately.

Might be a nice Hosting opportunity for a full timer, contact the Rangers and see.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
your dog is that an American Shephard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Here in North Florida we are blessed to have a large National Forest, the Apalachicola: Apalachicola National Forest, a Florida natlforest located near Tallahassee Mom cut me a very short article out of our local paper, the Tallahassee Democrat, that stated two of the campgrounds out there would be closing or have day use hours only. They are Wright Lake and Camel Lake campgrounds.

We have stayed at Wright ($10) and it was a very, very nice 18 space campground on a nice little lake. Seems they are having trouble getting "Staff" according to the article. I suspect they really mean "Hosts". I have not been to Camel but Wright has water at each site (no electric or sewer) and very nice full bathrooms. There is an Iron Ranger for fees and a dump station. I think Camel actually had a few $15 electric sites. The Host at Wright (and I assume Camel) of course had full hookups.

It is a shame to loose these nice campgrounds although close by is a more primitive campground (Hickory Landing, $3) with a central spigot and vault toilets. We have started boondocking out in the Forest anyway and have not been going to the regular campgrounds lately.

Might be a nice Hosting opportunity for a full timer, contact the Rangers and see.
: but called Australian elsewhere? if so nice dogs, have friend in Greenville, Illinois who raises them both full size and miniature.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
My wife and I love camping at Camel Lake. Very rustic, beautiful lake and just 13 sites or so. Just a few of the sites have electric, so 1st come, 1st served. Sad to hear it is closing. This is one of the campgrounds on out winter list so I needed to find out more information about the closure. I called Bristol FS headquarters only to find out the host unexpectedly left so they have no choice except to close the campgrounds until they can find another host. This is not expected to be a permanent closure, thank goodness.

Wright Lake is also beautiful....we just find Camel Lake a little more to our liking.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Dunno, FL seems to be Zika Alley lately. That might be a factor....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote