Need a History Lesson on Trilliums..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Name: janessa
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Need a History Lesson on Trilliums.....

I've recently purchased a 1968 Trillium. Does anybody know when and where the Trilliums were made. Could '68 be the first year??
Janessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janessa View Post
I've recently purchased a 1968 Trillium. Does anybody know when and where the Trilliums were made. Could '68 be the first year??
You sure it's a trillium ,never heard of a 68 trillium pictures or a better discription would help
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Janessa, to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here.

One of the members here has been tracking Trilliums for quite a while. He's keeping a list of VINs by model. Here's a directly link. The oldest trailer on the list says "69?"
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post521762

Sorry I can't be more help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As far as I can tell, the first Trillium on that list is the third one ever made.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Name: George
Ontario
Registry
Trillium History

Hi,

i purchased and finished a "fake" pre-Trillium in Toronto around 1975/6 from what was then the equivalent of CL or e-Bay. It was a local paper called "buy and sell". since it was just a frame and fibreglass shell with windows (the door did not have the "trillium" emblem). In order to make my life easier, I purchased an inside package from Trillium (located in Markham near Toronto). The Trillium rep was very much interested in my project and actually came out to see it and take pictures, he believed it might have been the pre-production plug. All the parts they supplied fitted in perfectly and I sold it after about 5 years when we no longer used it. I may have some pictures of it somwhere in non digital format. Jorg in Toronto
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally made in Markham, Ontario. Then Ramblin Ind. made them for a time in the 90's in Alberta.

In 2002, Trilliums where again being made in Alberta and are still being made there but with the new name Outback - after two partners had a bit of a falling out (around 2005?) and the guys in Alberta lost the right to use the Trillium name ..... or so the story goes.

Due to the failing out one partner started having them made in the US, at various locations in the US from about 2005 to 2015? Escape Trailers in Chilliwack BC also built them under contract in about 2008/9? with the name Trillium on them. Around late 2013 the US company was sold to another RV manufacturer Great West Vans and the trailers where being built in Manitoba for a couple of years under the name SideKick before the company moving south to Alabama in early 2015? and where the company was called Sterling RV & the trailers once again had the Trillium name on them. The Alabama plant closed it doors in late summer or early spring last year - I haven't heard if they are back in biz or not

If you share the VIN with David it would be pretty easy to see where it fits into the current list to see what year it may actually be.

It is not at all uncommon for older trailers to have the wrong model year on their registration papers. Sometimes older than the new owner thinks but it can also be much newer as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As far as I can tell, the first Trillium on that list is the third one ever made.
My VIN is 13-229. There is am original paper inside the cabinet that states 05/68. This may be where the "68" came from. I took pictures but cant figure out how to insert the pic.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
Quote:
My VIN is 13-229. There is am original paper inside the cabinet that states 05/68. This may be where the "68" came from. I took pictures but cant figure out how to insert the pic.
Added pictures to an album in my profile. ☺
Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Looks to be the paper work that came with a gas appliance rather than the trailer itself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Looks to be the paper work that came with a gas appliance rather than the trailer itself.
Hummm, perhaps. That may be the manufacture date of the appliance and those things can be made months and months in advance of a trailer being built.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
The picture with your serial number, 13-229, is the the data sheet that is mounted to the inside of the closet door. The serial number indicates a manufacture date of around 1971. The other paper is not from Trillium.

Your trailer is not the older style, which do not have opening windows on the front and back. They also only have two opening panes on the sides.

Check out the list. Click on the serial number for a link to the trailers described. The first 3 trailers on the list are the older style.

A few observations:
- Your furnace is a Coleman model. These were used on early models, before Trillium switched to Duo-Therm.
- Your door latch is the older round style. These are awesome! I have never seen one break. The Bargman L300, that replaced it, is not as sturdy.
- You are missing the front rock guard. This should be replaced, but they are very hard to find.

I hope you don't mind, but I plan to include your trailer on the Serial number list.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

Saskatchewan
Red face

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #13

Saskatchewan
David, I Would love to be added to ur list. I love this little funky trailer. And yes that sheet with the VIN is hung inside the cabinet door. Thanks for ur help.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
I don't suppose you could post some interior photos?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
I am considering submitting my article on Boler history to the Manitoba Historical Society. I have made a few revisions and additions to the article. I am just completing my last round of verifications for accuracy. I have heard from the Jim Pattison Group, Scamp and the Eveland family, Keri Latimer and Ian Giles. I am waiting to hear back from Joe Thoen (Trillium) (I spoke with him yesterday). I have emails out to the Olecko and Dusa families (I have communicated with them previously), awaiting reply. If anyone on this list would like to point out any specific correction(s) that are needed in the article, I would appreciate hearing from you at tom.mc@mymts.net. If you would like to re-post this to other forums dealing with fibreglass trailer history, specifically asking for any corrections or additions, it would be greatly appreciated. Because I am not good at uploading on this site, I will refer you to this version of the article: History of the Boler - Boler-Camping Thanks. Tom McMahon
rova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium