Need a sense of humor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
I am finding that owning an older egg requires a sense of humor. I'm sure this is of no surprise to most of you I need to reset both front and rear windows in Tillie (84 Perris Pacer), okay, so I watch Kevin's videos- that will help a LOT. But the rubber glazing on all of the other windows needs to be replaced due to shrinking, cracking etc. I pulled the glazing from the smallest window, go to the closest rv repair place and get the new glazing, not exact but the guy says it will work--NOT!! So after fighting for a long while, I decide to try an auto glass place that works on rvs.This guy looks at me like I'm from another planet, and no he doesn't carry that, go to this other place. I go to the "other" place -- he LAUGHS... asks me, what the old glazing I had in my hand, came from. I really wanted to tell him, my space ship - but I held my tounge .So maybe tomorrow I will try a local truck camper place, maybe they won't think I'm nuts.
To top it off, while I was gone, a friend stopped by with a friend. As they came around the corner, he thought I had a taco wagon in the driveway, Got to keep smiling!!!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
But the rubber glazing on all of the other windows needs to be replaced due to shrinking, cracking etc. [b]I pulled the glazing from the smallest window, go to the closest rv repair place and get the new glazing, not exact but the guy says it will work--NOT!!
I would have probably pulled the whole window to take with me. The glazing "out-of-context" probably threw these guys.

I find it is no longer common practice to replace merely the actual failed part (glazing); most places in the field only know how to replace whole assemblies (the window). There just aren't any "craftsmen" in business under the age of 70 any more.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Never tell anyone you are working on an RV.. outside of a few specific items.. they all run for the hills and tell you to go to an RV place.

Of course, we all know the #6 truss head wood screw that you are going to put in your window frame is dramatically different than the # 6 truss head wood screw you would put in your, say, home window :-P

Some of these guys drive me crazy. I asked for specific but very common screws once at home depot.. the inevitable "what are you working on" question came up. He told me "Oh, we don't have any RV parts here, you'll have to go to X RV parts store for that".

UGH!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Gina,

Boy, can I identify with that. It's to the point now where I say, nicely (with mentally gritted teeth), "Why do you ask?"

Vicki,
Can you post a photo of what you're looking for?

Places like Interstate Metals, Pellandent, and Vintage Trailer Supply all carry a fair selection of rubber molding and gasket shapes; you can find their catalogs easily online. [Edited to say that, oops, as Donna points out below, I should have said Interstate Metal Fabricators just above - sorry!]

C.R. Laurence makes the self-sealing weatherstrip (the kind that uses a lockstrip) that is on the front and rear window of Boler/clones, and they also have a number of other shapes. (The two center click boxes that will appear in this view will take you to two more sub-catalogs.)

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine...th=30587::19748

Good thing you're laughing about it (mostly).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just remember, laughter is good for you.

Another place to check is Interstate Metal Fabricators, Inc. don't let the name throw you. They build windows and have all kinds of window rubber and parts. Someone here on FiberglassRV sent them a small piece of the molding they needed and Interstate matched it to something they stock. It required a couple of discussions by phone, but at least it solved the problem:
http://www.interstatemetals.com/cat_windows2.htm

To help Perris Pacer owners in the future, would you please post where you end up getting what you need and any possible part or model number... that would be GREAT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Vicki,

I have had similar problems. I wound up ordering glazier's tape from this outfit:
glazier's tape place
Of course, that was for a casement style window---but they might carry the seals as well.

But in my search, I also uncovered the following place:
TrimLok
You might give them a try.

Also, why not contact Kevin Henry and ask him. From his videos, he seems to be quite a savvy guy about such things---and from his videos, I would say he would be quite willing to help.

Good luck.
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Most glass shops (or glaziers) would know that rubber as self locking machine rubber.
We use it in our shop to put glass in everything from jet boats to trailers....
This is what we use, it is a CRL product
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline...p;ModelID=20861
Once you put it on the trailer and install your glass (on bolers we use Lexan or Margard which are super strong versions of plexi glass)
you run a bead of polyurethane between the rubber and the fiberglass body and nothing between the Lexan and the rubber.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote