Need a site that reviews small fiberglass trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Margaret.
I agree with a lot that has been said already, including all brands of molded FGtrailers being well built. Your personal needs and preferences can be major deciders and seeing some up close and personal would be very helpful, although my first was before I had ever seen one.
The very best way is to visit a rally. You'll never find a friendlier bunch of folks, most eager to show off their trailers. To see if there's one that works for you, go to
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...1qanQDUbVG9p3o
Although fairly new, the Parkliner is a really well built trailer and close as you say. A visit could be quite rewarding. Two qualifiers: I feel they are not an ideal choice if you plan to dry camp a lot, meaning not in formal campsites with hookups.
And while their high ceilings make them one of very few that work for folks above 6'2", their overhead cabinets can be quite challenging for short people. Other than that they are excellent. Well designed and extremely well built.
Good luck and please keep us updated with your progress.

Walt
Old 05-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
... and seeing some up close and personal would be very helpful, although my first was before I had ever seen one.
The very best way is to visit a rally. You'll never find a friendlier bunch of folks, most eager to show off their trailers. ...
In fact there is a rally next week about as close as they get to you.
SEE:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...-19&e=6170&c=1
-AND-
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post576360

I understand that about 40 fiberglass trailers will be there, and there is a show and tell planned for Saturday (although I expect you could get tours of many of them ouside the official show-n-tell time).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...I feel they are not an ideal choice if you plan to dry camp a lot, meaning not in formal campsites with hookups...
I'm curious about that one, Walt. I've never heard anyone say that before. What do you see as the shortcomings for dry camping? Just curious, really… don't see a Parkliner in my immediate future.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm curious about that one, Walt. I've never heard anyone say that before. What do you see as the shortcomings for dry camping? Just curious, really… don't see a Parkliner in my immediate future.
I feel that way because of the waste water disposal configuration. A single tank for combined black and grey water with a capacity of 30 gal. Guess I should have elaborated on that. Perhaps others would not find that a limitation but I really do. I also really dislike the mascerator style toilet. An unnecessarily complicated, expensive boondoggle to me. All in all a major reason I sold mine, although I liked a lot about it.

Walt
Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
A metal trailer shell does not off gas the way fiberglass does
Huh? Once fiberglass cures in the mold, it is inert and does not produce any gases.

I just remembered that when I picked up my Lil Hauley, whatever they used to coat the inside did give off a strong smell for a time. But I'm almost positive that it was a coating on the fiberglass; not sure if it was paint or what.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #26

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Hi Gordon,

I didn't know that it was called "rat fur," LOL!!

I talked to the sales rep., but they are back ordered until July.

If I get a used one, it has to be located in a dry climate.

Thanks, Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #27

North Carolina
Hi Mike,

That's interesting about the conventional trailers, bc a lot of people who have mold issues like Camplite, but I think some of the models leak.

I might look into Airstream though.

I looked at Oliver online; it's too long!!

Thanks, Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #28

North Carolina
KC, I think anything can off gas, bc of chemicals used inside the unit!

Thanks, though, Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #29

North Carolina
reply to Darral T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Margaret, there IS a "site" for fiberglass camper reviews. I cant believe no one has mentioned it yet!

It's called a RALLY!

Hi Darral,

I don't think I have time for a RALLY just yet! Thx., though!

M
Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #30

North Carolina
Reply to War Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Margaret, I'll put a plug in for EggCamper (made in Michigan). Even the interior is mostly fiberglass. Very little wood (just the cabinet doors and table tops), no "rat fur", and the original floor carpeting can easily be removed if you want to install a different flooring. Used EggCampers also are hard to come by, but you do occasionally see one show up in the "Classified" ads on this forum. That's how we found ours. But be prepared to move fast if you find something you like. Most used fiberglass campers sell quickly if priced reasonably. Best of luck.... Dale
Hi Dale,

I would love an Egg, but I can't buy a used one if it's in a humid climate; I would have to buy it out West. I live in NC.

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #31

North Carolina
Reply to AnnKola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnKola View Post
Margaret,
Where do you live? These lovelies are much rarer on the East Coast.

I saw your other question about towing and would suggest that you check out the GirlCamper podcast and Sisters on the Fly (a group for women who camp/ tow/ enjoy the outdoors). Extremely supportive. I just bought a 2014 Trillium and am learning the ropes. I find that actually *doing* is much less scary than I thought it might be.

If you are anywhere near Maryland I'd be happy to give you the 10-cent tour. Newer Trilliums are harder to find because the company went out of business (like many of these boutique brands). Mine has jalousie windows in all sides which is a great feature.

I had been considering the purchase and rehab of a small stickie but realized pretty quick that I would be way over my head and out if money if I wanted to do it right.

There are lots of helpful folks here! Welcome.
Thanks for being so helpful, Ann. I am about 6 and 1/2 hours away from MD (DC area). I live in NW NC. Thanks also for the forum suggestion!!

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
With most all VG trailers are great as long as you open the door in cold weather camping to let it air out and dry out each day, no mold will come, and keep it clean of course, you take care of it and it will take care of you.
Good idea, to open it up!

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Hi Margaret.
I agree with a lot that has been said already, including all brands of molded FGtrailers being well built. Your personal needs and preferences can be major deciders and seeing some up close and personal would be very helpful, although my first was before I had ever seen one.
The very best way is to visit a rally. You'll never find a friendlier bunch of folks, most eager to show off their trailers. To see if there's one that works for you, go to
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...1qanQDUbVG9p3o
Although fairly new, the Parkliner is a really well built trailer and close as you say. A visit could be quite rewarding. Two qualifiers: I feel they are not an ideal choice if you plan to dry camp a lot, meaning not in formal campsites with hookups.
And while their high ceilings make them one of very few that work for folks above 6'2", their overhead cabinets can be quite challenging for short people. Other than that they are excellent. Well designed and extremely well built.
Good luck and please keep us updated with your progress.

Walt
Hi WaltP,

I was just going to ask about the Parkliner! I talked to the owner today. I think I could use a stool for the cabinets, although that might be awkward if I want to get something quickly. I'm about 5/6" and 1/2. Is that sufficiently tall, d'ya think?

Ok, so why is it bad for dry camping, bc that's what I mainly intended on doing, as opposed to paying an arm and a leg for a campground? The owner told me that it would be great for that, bc most things run on propane, except for the a/c.

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #34

North Carolina
PS, Walt P, thanks for the rally info.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hi Jon in AZ,

That was actually my question!! I would love to know, bc I was planning on heading down there next week to look at the Parkliner.

Jon, why don't you see a Parkliner in future? Can you specify?

Thanks all!!! Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
I feel that way because of the waste water disposal configuration. A single tank for combined black and grey water with a capacity of 30 gal. Guess I should have elaborated on that. Perhaps others would not find that a limitation but I really do. I also really dislike the mascerator style toilet. An unnecessarily complicated, expensive boondoggle to me. All in all a major reason I sold mine, although I liked a lot about it.

Walt
A mascerator toilet? Is that a toilet that mascerates, or what, LOL? I guess I could always dig a trench, ha ha.

Would wastewater disposal be a problem if you used only biodegradable soap?

Maybe the manufacturer could replace the toilet (if I bought a PL) with a composting toilet?

Walt P., was the toilet the only reason you sold your PL?

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #37

North Carolina
Parkliner?

Hi everyone on my thread,

Could you comment on the Parkliner? It is in NC, after all.

Thanks so much for all the helpful and useful answers!

Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi everyone on my thread,

Could you comment on the Parkliner? It is in NC, after all.

Thanks so much for all the helpful and useful answers!

Margaret
The Parkliner is a very nice and impressive trailer. I only know a couple of people who have bought them and they said they really liked them a lot, then they sold them!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #39

North Carolina
floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Parkliner is a very nice and impressive trailer. I only know a couple of people who have bought them and they said they really liked them a lot, then they sold them!
Thanks for the feedback, Floyd! That helps a lot.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Jon, why don't you see a Parkliner in future? Can you specify?
We are perfectly happy with the Scamp we have, and, budget-wise, an upgrade is not for us in the foreseeable future. It has nothing to do with the merits of Parkliner, or lack thereof.

We will never be full-timers; my wife is not a die-hard camper. Our style involves shorter trips to developed campgrounds, so a bathroom is not mandatory, and I like not having the associated maintenance. I also like the option of downsizing to a smaller tow vehicle when the kids leave the nest, which the Scamp will allow me to do.

But who knows what the unforeseeable future may hold!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote