need advice about a boler for sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i may be able to buy a 72 boler 13 , in very good condition, has been in storage for 10 years and everything looks original except maybe the plasitc fresh water holding tank , nothing has been up graded but it looks like it was loveinly taken care of, i offered 2 grand and the person is thinking about it . what do you pros think ?
Mark Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Better yet, what do you think? Are you excited? Is that a price you're willing to pay? Did you check out all the systems and everything works? You'll need tires and be sure to repack the bearings before moving it anywhere. If it's a 72, there's a good chance the axle will need to be replaced before too long. How does it sit?

Rubber gets hard over time. Both the front and back windows will probably need new gasket material, don't be surprised if they both leak in the first good rain storm.

So, all I can say... is if it was a trailer I really wanted and thought it was worth the money... I'd have it. Sure I could spend less, but that might take longer than I'm willing to wait. Of course, it is the END (or close to it) for summer camping season and I'd want to park it inside over the winter too.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
i may be able to buy a 72 boler 13 , in very good condition, has been in storage for 10 years and everything looks original except maybe the plasitc fresh water holding tank , nothing has been up graded but it looks like it was loveinly taken care of, i offered 2 grand and the person is thinking about it . what do you pros think ?
Like Donna said, are you willing to pay that price? Another thought is- "in very good condition". I don't think you want to know how much I spent on the complete rebuild of the Compact Jr I just finished. And the amount of man hours that went into it. If it is ready to go, it's a good deal. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
$2000. not a bad price.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

thank you for all the good advice , the boler most likely needs a complete systems ungrade , and i have a garage space to keep in this winter , i`m not sure if i`m ready to takle a complete re-do , but i realy love the lines of the little egg , i am upgrading from a pop-up and i have always admired scamps, now because of this sight i realise some of the campers i have been seeing over the years may not have even been scamps , i had no idea so many compaines made light weight fibergalss campers over the years , the people selling this boler have not gotten got back to me on my offer yet , but here is a picture of her o took on my cell phone when i went to look at her last night
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00340.JPG  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

if i do buy " her" i will be sure to post more pictures , and keep you all informed on my progress, OH ! and also ask for more advise from time to time
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #7

Registry
This is one of the BEST forums to ask questions, and no question is to dumb to ask. Keep us posted on your purchase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	questions.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	15912
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

ok, heres a question ; i asume boler is no longer in buisness , so i would guess the supply of dealer parts must be kind of small , how easy is it to find parts for a boler camper ? even basic parts like bearings and gaskets ?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #9

Registry
Wheel bearings no problem. Door or window gaskets some one else will have to help on that.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Wheel bearings no problem. Door or window gaskets some one else will have to help on that.
Scamp sells the gasket material and lockstrip for the front and back plexiglass windows. The jalousie windows are sealed against the body using standard butyl tape available at any RV supply place. Parts for the jalousie windows are available from resources on our Helpful-Links page here: Windows and Window Parts

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Mark, I'm going to regurgatate a post I made in the past...at least the jist of what I had written that applies here.

All who enter the process of aquireing one of these quirky eggs harbor doubts of whether it's a good buy or a lemon. It's just human nature. There's no standard to go by when you're buying a used travel trailer, except common sense, and an informed mind. In other words, if [b]you're sold... the trailer's sold.

But if you're looking for a grocery list of guidelines to follow. A standard of pricing baised on expected conditions, here's a piece of drivel I posted a few weeks earlier...

"...IMHO, Prices for used older eggs on ebay are grossly overpriced. What is selling for $3K+ is usually worth half that. Hype, scarcity, and demand is driving the prices they sell for, making it a sellers market.

BUT...
Using that $3000 as a base price for a used 10-15 year and older egg...

For $3000 you should be able to drive off and camp immediately in it. All appliances and cabin is clean and functional. The Axle, tires, battery, porpane tank, all accessories clean, fresh or new. Any wear & tear issues should be superficial and minimal. No major problems at all.

For $1500 the trailer should still be clean and roadworthy, however tires, axles, floorboard, and minor body dings, ect. would be needing attention.

$1000 - $1500 Roadworthy, but with problems needing attention before you would tow or camp. If it needs cleaning, it needs a lower pricetag. Nothing is worth $1000 if you gotta clean out mold, or replace carpet, curtains, or seat cushions just to sit in it safely.

$500 - $1000 Not roadworthy, not clean, appliances missing or broken, obvious frame corrosion, dead axle, floor rot.

$300 - $500 Not roadworthy, rotten frame, rotten floor, trailer requires total overhaul. If the fiberglass body is sound, everything else can be replaced...."

Again, that's IMHO. Mark, just take a deep breath and clear your thoughts a moment. You'll realize then that if you are satisfied...price won't matter.

Good Luck,
ConwayBob
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #12

in the words of a good friend of mine " you guys rock ! " weather i get this particual bolar or not i see an egg in my future , thanks for being here
Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #13

interesting re-build story you may enjoy HERE

grand total $ is at the very bottom of the page.

for parts, there are boler specifc forums that may help. google BOLERAMA
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:

For $3000 you should be able to drive off and camp immediately in it. All appliances and cabin is clean and functional. The Axle, tires, battery, porpane tank, all accessories clean, fresh or new. Any wear & tear issues should be superficial and minimal. No major problems at all.

ConwayBob
Bob,

I somewhat agree with what you are saying, but your price spread should be a little greater. I'm half way through my restoration and have spent well over $3000 just fixing it. From the outside my trailer still looks rough but consider these costs ...

Beat up trailer with all transfers and taxes $600
New axle and tires installed were $1000 alone
New propane lines, tanks, regulator, inspecting testing and servicing the appliances was another $1000
New battery, wiring, lights etc. about $500 and I'm not finished
Flooring another $200
Next year is the plumbing and I'm budgeting that to cost another $500

Then there were the add in's
Solar system added another $400
Cabinet work another $400

I have not even tried to factor in my labour.

I'd laugh at someone that came up and offered me $3000 for my trailer. You should have seen me howl at the bargain hunter that came up and offered me $800 like he was doing me favour.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Oh yeah, that $800 offer came in the same week I just finished installing the new axle and tires.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #16

ok, i passed on the boler, i ,loved the little guy, but i am going to hold out for something a little bigger with a bathroom, and maybe ac , the whole idea in the first place was to " upgrade " from the pop-up , this was realy the first " egg" i looked at in person, i`m sure more will come along
Old 09-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
interesting re-build story you may enjoy HERE

grand total $ is at the very bottom of the page.

for parts, there are boler specifc forums that may help. google BOLERAMA
Wow! You are Rebuilding Artists! Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing. Excellent photo documentation also. This site is wonderful. I pay respect to you and the others who have done such beautiful work on their trailers. -Dan
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler