Need advice on new to me Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Need advice on new to me Scamp

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1995 13 foot Scamp Deluxe in Northern California that is missing a few doors. I'm going to make a couple of doors but won't be able match the natural wood color so I told a friend I was going to paint the interior a off white or tan. He said I was making a mistake and if I did that, it would lose value. He said people would want to keep it all original wood! Is he right ? I do plan on selling it down the road after I fix it up ( Into sailing A LOT ) and just want to do whats right for this little trailer. The wood is a little tired looking! Any help would be appreciated!

All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Deluxe wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1995 13 foot Scamp Deluxe in Northern California that is missing a few doors. I'm going to make a couple of doors but won't be able match the natural wood color
If it is the deluxe with the “all wood” interior, yes people pay extra for it, others paint it. Scamp had a choice of birch and oak. For birch, I like Baltic birch plywood, some light stain may help match the old wood.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Bigbox (I.E.Manards)stores sell ready made doors in oak in stock.(if your's is oak).
In several sizes of the same style.

Original doors are lacquered and it darkens a little with age.
Scots liquid gold may have the same effect on lacquer.
or you can use polyurethane... try a spot on scrap.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Need advice on new to me Scamp

Thanks for the info guys! I thing i'm going to paint it ! The wood just looks too tired and I think there are people that would still want it!

All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Can you post some before photos?
As for my opinion, I will be looking to buy a 13' Deluxe at some point with birchwood cabinets and would have to bypass any Scamp that has been painted.
I think many (not necessarily all) shopping for Deluxe versions (Oak or Birch) are looking for the wood to be unpainted.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
How about removing all of your doors and stripping the current finish off? Find some plywood that is close to the original and make new doors for those that are missing. Stain and varnish them, install and maintain the preferred woody look.

Bill
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I agree with Bill. You will have to remove all the existing doors to paint them, so instead, strip them and refinish all of them to match and keep the natural wood look. If you hate the results you can always paint them later but try refinishing first. It will help the resale value.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #8

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Scamp 13

OHHH, don't paint. sand, refinish is best. If you have a deluxe birch or oak, you can always spruce up "tired" wood, replace any warped piece. Cabinet doors can also be replaced. I paid extra for a used deluxe Scamp for the warm, homey feel. Other's will too.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1995 13 foot Scamp Deluxe in Northern California that is missing a few doors. I'm going to make a couple of doors but won't be able match the natural wood color so I told a friend I was going to paint the interior a off white or tan. He said I was making a mistake and if I did that, it would lose value. He said people would want to keep it all original wood! Is he right ? I do plan on selling it down the road after I fix it up ( Into sailing A LOT ) and just want to do whats right for this little trailer. The wood is a little tired looking! Any help would be appreciated!

All the best, Monte
Don't paint them. That cheapens the look and the value. Look for doors that fit with the same wood and refinish the old ones. Sometimes Habitat for Humanity has doors that may match. Or as others said Menards.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Scamp has replacement doors.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...-products.html

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Those are the standard MDF doors with wood-look finish. They are only available in the new cherry finish, not the older oak.

I’d guess the deluxe cabinet department could make replacements on request in birch or oak, but the new finish will not match an older unit which has acquired a patina (sounds better than “tired”).

It’s uncertain whether it would be cheaper to order the replacements from Scamp or a local cabinet maker. Depends on shipping.

Best to order them unfinished and paint or (better) refinish the old and match the new.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Just do it

Quote:

All the best, Monte
Just make it your own! The scamp is not going to change value much no matter what you do to it. I made solid Cherry face fronts and eliminated the front bunk in favor of a dresser that can be fully stocked prior to a weekend. we keep our little 13' boler packed and ready for adventure. from the time we decide to go to the time we pull out is generally 3 hours for a 2 week or more trip. Retirement is perfect.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #13

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Monte W,
Any updates on your 13' Deluxe? Photos?

Tags
scamp