Need advice on what kind of power I'll need for Das Cave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Need advice on what kind of power I'll need for Das Cave

Hi gang, Looking for some advice on what power supply I should buy for my Perris Pacer. Other than the brake and running lights, I have 3 interior lights and maybe a water pump. I will probably have a outlet for 110 for charging my cell phone the few times I'm around a state or private camp ground. This is a area ( electrical ) that I really need outside help. Thanks so much!

All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte W View Post
Hi gang, Looking for some advice on what power supply I should buy for my Perris Pacer. Other than the brake and running lights, I have 3 interior lights and maybe a water pump. I will probably have a outlet for 110 for charging my cell phone the few times I'm around a state or private camp ground. This is a area ( electrical ) that I really need outside help. Thanks so much!

All the best, Monte
Running, brake, and tail lights are powered by the tow vehicle so can not worry about them.
Get a car charger for your cell phone, they're cheap and charge from the tow vehicle while traveling.
The rest can be managed quite nicely from an on-board deep cycle battery.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Monte, when you are asking what kind of power supply you’ll need, are you talking about a power converter (120 volts to 12 volts)? With as little draw from your 12 volt battery as you have need for, I would make sure to have a 120 volt outlet near the battery that would power a smart battery charger for times when you would be camping for weeks at a time, but for just week-end trips I would have the tow vehicle set-up to charge the battery while under tow. You could also purchase a “suit case” style solar set-up to keep your battery charged.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Registry
I agree with Dave.
It more efficient and cheaper just to buy a solar panel to keep the battery charged while on extended trips. My 12 years of trailer experience would indicated that I don't need anything but Marine Deep Cycle battery for 3 to 4 days. After that I use my solar panel to recharge,
If you really want to camp for extended times I suggest that the lights inside the trailer be switched to LED lights. After doing that I can go for about a week in warm weather without recharging. Since I have a furnace with a fan when it's cold I'm good for about 4 days, with LED lights.

FYI I have a converter that's been turned off for the past 4 or 5 years. We camp for around 100 Days at a time in the winter. When the trailer is parked beside my house I have a Battery Minder that keeps the batter topped off. Other wise I use the tow or the solar.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A converter provides 12 v DC and many will charge your battery. I have one in my Trillium. I seldom use it. First the converter requires an electrical hook up. Most of the campgrounds I frequent don't offer hook ups. I do have a charge line that allows my tow vehicle to charge my battery while travelling from campground to campground.. I also have a solar panel. Should you prefer campgrounds with hook ups or camp where AC is must then a converter is useful.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A converter provides 12 v DC and many will charge your battery. I have one in my Trillium. I seldom use it. First the converter requires an electrical hook up. Most of the campgrounds I frequent don't offer hook ups. I do have a charge line that allows my tow vehicle to charge my battery while travelling from campground to campground.. I also have a solar panel. Should you prefer campgrounds with hook ups or camp where AC is must then a converter is useful.

I'm going to slightly disagree with you. There's YaButs involved
First if you're set with solar and a charge line, you don't need the converter. In fact the converter is added weight and cost that provides little advantage even when plugged in. I would rather use my solar system than a converter. Some of cheaper converters will boil your battery dry.

If you're always going to be plugged in and want to have and use a converter a smaller battery might be in order, it would be cheaper and lighter.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm going to slightly disagree with you. There's YaButs involved
First if you're set with solar and a charge line, you don't need the converter. In fact the converter is added weight and cost that provides little advantage even when plugged in. I would rather use my solar system than a converter. Some of cheaper converters will boil your battery dry.

If you're always going to be plugged in and want to have and use a converter a smaller battery might be in order, it would be cheaper and lighter.
As i said, we are seldom plugged in. We travel to the South in the spring and the fall. It's typically just overnight. Never in the summer. We have no air conditioner. Almost all the campgrounds have power because they would be empty in July without it. As it comes with the fee why not take advantage. On a hot humid night we can run two fans all night, charge what ever we didn't get to during the day and not worry about over discharging the battery. We also run the fridge though not on the converter. If the campsite has power you pay more whether you use it or not. It's nice to have the option.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The newer 30 amp converters with a built in charger only weigh 4 pounds
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

California
Registry
Need advice on what kind of power I'll need for Das Cave

Wow, Just posted this and got home to see some great advice being given! I would love to find out what converter would work best for me! I've looked on Amazon and there seems to be so many that I'm not sure which way to go. Again, thanks so much!
All the best, Monte
Old 12-20-2017, 05:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
my set up is the same as Raz, above. While planning trips we will stay at a campground with an electrical hook-up every other campground, just to let the battery recharge through the converter, for one night, then it off to the next campground which will be a state or national park, without the electrical hook up.
We can go for 4 day and nights without a recharge on our Group27 battery as long as we do not have use the furnace and just the LED lights and fridge on propane and only 2 nights when we use the furnace of the vent fan then we need a recharge.
I do have a 35 Watt solar panel but it's a cheap one and will only really work if I am in direct full sun to recharge the battery. This means staying in camp all day and turning it all day long. I did this while working the summer in the National Forest in NH a few years back and it worked fine but now I want to go off to site-see and don't want to baby sit the solar panel.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I prefer an electrical system that offers the greatest number of options . I would install a good converter with a 4 stage battery charger , battery and solar panel PLUS a charge wire from your TV
I am of the same school as Raz . We camp with hookups and sometimes without -- some days it's hot some it's not -- some days the sun shines , some days it's cloudy.
The cost for a good , flexible , reliable, wiring system is relatively minor IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
battery and set up

I use a very small 12v battery never needed more. I do nut use a furnace all lights are led my porch light is solar.

battery charges as the tug is rolling all cellphone doodads charge in the car also.

kiss works every time or less is more!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I would love to find out what converter would work best for me!
One of our very active members, Bob Miller, (I miss Bob) was a huge fan of the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045. Good price, good battery charger, and all the fuses and breakers you need.
PD4045 45 Amp Inteli-Power Mighty Mini Power Center
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-567.htm
https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...4045-7382.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I installed a PD4045 in our Uhaul. Very happy with it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The newer 30 amp converters with a built in charger only weigh 4 pounds
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #16

California
Registry
need advice on what kind of power I'll need for Das Cave

Thanks so much for the info ! Love this web site! Merry Christmas everyone :-)

All the best, Monte
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #17

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Battery Tender

Quote:

All the best, Monte
I use Battery tenders
They are the best for all type batteries
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote