Need help choosing layout, Scamp 16' deluxe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I sleep fine on my Scamps 44" bed when I'm alone!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I sleep fine on my Scamps 44" bed when I'm alone!
Russ
Ditto, and I sleep good alone on the King at home too. I volunteer at a week-long event once a year that supplies the volunteer’s accommodations, a single bed in a cabin. I would MUCH prefer my Scamp bed to that miserable single but the site does not allow RVs (they are about renting cabins).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think it was Floyd who ordered his Scamp with a third bench seat between the two in the back. With a smaller pedestal table. Making a U shaped seating arrangement. The advantage is more elbow room to sit around the table if entertaining plus even with the table set up there is still enough room across the back for someone to stretch out for a nap or a little reading. If he does not weigh in on this thread you might want to PM him for the details.
Actually, he did the mod himself, though Scamp made a custom-sized matching cushion for the project. It's so well-integrated that it looks like it came from the factory that way! There are some nice photos here, starting around post #31: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-66049-3.html. I doubt Scamp would undertake that degree of customization, even in the deluxe line.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My opinion doesn't count much here, because I've never owned a trailer with a bathroom, !
Jon you may not have owned a trailer with a bathroom but you have given two very good suggestions in regards to Scamps with bathrooms.

My Scamp 16' side bath has a sink in the bathroom - makes a small space smaller! Even though I am not a large person the sink makes it hard to even turn around in the bathroom and forget about dressing in it. Have considered pulling the one in mine out many times just not sure how I would fill in all the holes from its piping and mounting..... There is a sink in the kitchen 3' away that works just fine for washing up. We are camping after all ;-)

The slinky hose holder Scamp puts on the front of the trailer is to small to hold a decent sized hose and the fittings. I would not order a new trailer with one on it. I have removed mine and mounted a PVC post (painted black) under the rear of the trailer for the hose and fittings. Looks much better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We have never slept on the 44" bed so I don't know how it might have worked out. We couldn't find a used Scamp13 anywhere near us that was light enough to be within the listed weight rating for our best tow vehicle. So, we finally decided to order a new Scamp13. When we did we were offered the "new option" of the 54 inch bed on the Scamp13 Layout1.

When we had traveled abroad a couple of times, we'd slept on a double bed and it was fine. Although we might not really need a king size bed at home (I'm sure a queen would be just fine), it is what we were used to.

We reasoned that a double (54") would be moving down by 2 sizes and, quite honestly, we were just a bit concerned/afraid about going smaller than a double. Who knows. It might have been just fine. It is probably all in what you get used to. .???

You do give up a lot of storage space with the larger bed in a Scamp13. If your "mission profile" is long distance/duration travel, it makes much more sense to me to have the larger bed in a Scamp16 Layout 4 or Layout A. I guess that new buyers just have make their best guess as to what will work for them and then study all of the mods that some of the smart folks on the forum have done to make the trailer really meet their individual needs/wants.

Sadly, we thought that a Scamp16 (or even a Scamp13 with bathroom, A/C, furnace, etc.) was too much trailer for us to pull with our then-current tow vehicle. With our Scamp13, we will just have to learn much better packing and organizing skills.

I think choices are good and I wish anyone purchasing a "new" trailer the best of luck!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Comfortable bed is important, sleeping on it is the one activity you can pretty much count on every night you camp. What constitutes a comfortable bed is pretty personal choice. Might want to try sleeping on the size your planning to get before ordering. Even if just using pillows to reduce the available area of you current bed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitakc View Post
Have done a lot of research and decided to order a Scamp 16' deluxe with layout A (front dinette). Anyone out there with this model who can give us some advice? I read on the forum that the front dinette can be hard to get in and out of. Is that true? Just two adults, and we're average size. Also, did you add cabinets over the dinette? Do you tend to bump your head on them?

We chose layout A because the bathroom is smaller. Hoping that will give us a tiny bit more floorspace for our dogs. What do you think?

So before we finalize our order, would love to get some advice on which layout you recommend, A (front dinette) or B (side dinette).
Decided to re-read the original question… Here are my own impressions of the advantages & disadvantages of each plan, for what it's worth...

I don't think there is any difference in floorspace between the floor plans. That is essentially determined by the size of the lowered floor that is built into the frame. If anything the side bath version has slightly less because the bath hangs out over the lowered floor just a little.

The side bath model will feel longer and narrower, and the front window (which doesn't open) expands the view. It also has the fridge on the opposite side from the stove and sink, a slight advantage in left-right weight distribution. The dinette is farther from the bed area, which could be an advantage for an early riser, but smaller, and only makes into a child-sized bed. The bath is smaller and the difference appears to go into storage space.

The front bath model will feel shorter and wider, and it adds a larger side window over the dinette, which does open. The dinette is roomier and closer to the kitchen. I think (not sure here) it makes into an adult-sized bed. The bathroom is also larger, but there is less storage space. Front bath models also tend to be a bit heavier on the tongue than similarly-equipped side bath models.

I don't think there's a clear winner. It would be very helpful to get inside both versions and see how they feel to you. Does Scamp have a network of current owners who are willing to show their units to a potential buyer? If that doesn't work, you could also try posting a request here. Unfortunately, 16' deluxes aren't that common, so you chances of finding both floor plans in your area aren't great, but you never know.

Now the really important question: will you choose birch or oak? Best of luck in your decisions and future travels!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
If you go with the deluxe model and side washroom I don't think Scamp can leave out the sink in the washroom.
The Minnesota State Fair is on now and usually just after the fair they have all their demos from the fair available for sale at a slight discount.-might be worth calling about.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
By Jon

"I don't think there is any difference in floorspace between the floor plans. That is essentially determined by the size of the lowered floor that is built into the frame. If anything the side bath version has slightly less because the bath hangs out over the lowered floor just a little."

We like the fact that the side bathroom floor hangs over the lowered floor. It provides a handy place for us to store our shoes. Four pairs can easily be stored here out of the way and near the door.

It's subtle but obvious when inside, the side dinette aisle is narrower than the front bath model. You can see it at the difference at the front edge of the dinette on their drawing.

We had a Casita with a side dinette and it made the space narrower between side dinette and sink/stove. We really never noticed it but a visiting Casita owner commented on the width between our two kitchen Scamp counters on layout 4.

As Jon suggested you've probably made the biggest choice choosing the Deluxe model over the fiberglass model, for me the whole decision between deluxe models swings on the choice of front bath or front window.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The side bath model will feel longer and narrower, and the front window (which doesn't open) expands the view. It also has the fridge on the opposite side from the stove and sink, a slight advantage in left-right weight distribution. The dinette is farther from the bed area, which could be an advantage for an early riser, but smaller, and only makes into a child-sized bed. The bath is smaller and the difference appears to go into storage space.

!
If you go with the Standard side bath model that does not have the dinette you will gain a great deal of counter space as well as kitchen storage. Actually more counter space than you will find in most trailers of its size and even some bigger.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I certainly agree with Norm on the narrowness. Our Casita 17SD feels much narrower than the Scamp 13 we had. We were at the Scamp factory on Saturday and the 16 felt wider.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Anita, once you choose a Scamp deluxe the floor plans choices are reduced. The deluxe does allow the bigger bed and wood all around.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the responses to our question. So helpful. We've never even seen the inside of a Scamp. Gathering all our info from fiberglass owners like you or from the Web. The hardest part of ordering a Scamp is waiting for it to arrive.

Anita
Anita, I think you are taking one big leap of faith ordering a Scamp without seeing one first. If you ask Scamp or post on this forum that you would like to see the inside of such and such a layout of Scamp and say your location I am sure someone will let you see theirs!! I know there was a particular trailer that I though was the one for me - that was until I actual sat in it......
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #34

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Anita -
I believe that Carol has an excellent idea.
I know that Scamp maintains a list of owners of various models in geographic locations
across the country. When we picked up our trailer, Wayne (our salesman) asked if we would be willing to show our trailer to prospective buyers. I imagine that any of the Scamp sales staff could connect you with an owner in (or close to) your area.

If that doesn't work, could you maybe manage to visit one of the upcoming west coast rallies? You might then be able to see multiple brands and models.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...266&dg=feature

Sublimity, Oregon, USA
Last Updated by C on Jan 16

Oct 9 - 12, 2014 - NOG Fall Gathering - Silver Falls State Park. More meet details can be found at: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f57/2014-oct-9-12-fall-nog-northern-oregon-gathering-62571.html

Quincy, California, USA
Last Updated by C on Nov 3, 2013

Sept 4 -8, 2014 - Sixth Annual Nor Cal Roundup - Pioneer RV Park, 1326 Pioneer Rd. Quincy, California 95971
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-62623.html

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #35

Registry
The NOG at Silver Falls would be worth the drive as you will normally find a number of Escapes, Casita's, Scamps and Bigfoots and other brands at that meet - . Well worth doing the compare.... to bad I didn't read this thread prior as you could have seen two 16' Scamps side by side on Monday or Tuesday - a standard and a deluxe as I was camping with friends at Kayak Point near Stanwood.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #36

Name: Anita & Sean
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Seeing a scamp in person

Ray and Carol, I'll take your advice to look at one in person. The Scamp salesman gave us a couple of names but both were over two hours from here. Since this weekend is Labor Day, I'm hoping to see one at a nearby RV park. The rally in Oregon is also an excellent suggestion. We're willing to drive further if we can see more than one at a time. Thanks.
anitakc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anita, come on down! This is the current list:

John & Linda (Olympia, WA) 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel - B2
Lee & Norma (Boise, ID) Trails West Campster - B3
Chuck & Deb (Vancouver, WA) 2001 21' Bigfoot - B4
Donna D. (Portland, OR) 2014 Escape 5th Wheel - B5
Mike & Nancy (Glide, OR) 1992 Scamp 5th Wheel - B6
Jim & the Girls (Portland, OR) 2009 17 Escape - B7
Bill & Gisela (Santa Barbara, CA) 2014 21' Escape - B8
Chuck & Vicki (Washington) 1974 Compact II - B9
Rick & Laura (Silverdale, WA) 2014 21' Escape - B10
Paul & Sharon (Lakewood, WA) 2007 17' Casita FD - B11
Thom & Cari (Astoria, OR) 2013 15' Parkliner - B13
Charlie & Cathryn (Hillsboro, OR) 2014 21' Escape - B14
Edgar (Salem, OR) 1978 13' Scamp -B15
Rodney & Diane (?) SOB - B16
Dave & Kathie (Portland, OR) 2013 21' Escape - B18
Paul & Linda (Tenino, WA) 1971 Compact Jr. - B20
Bobbie (South Whidbey Island, WA) 1970 Trails West Campster - B22
Sharen & Simon and Jim & Kelly (Langley, WA) 1995 21' Rialta - B24
Mark & Pam (Tualatin, OR) 2002 17' Casita SD - B25
Rich & Deb (Portland, OR) 2006 17' Casita LD - B26
Mike & Carol (Terrebone, OR) Teardrop - B27
John & Kathy (Seaside, OR) 2013 19' Escape - B28
Barbara & Stephen (Manzanita, OR) 1973 Compact II - B29
Eric & Jen (Whidbey Island, WA) 1988 13' Perris Pacer - B30
Peter & Lynne (Vancouver, WA) 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel OR Triple E Surfside - B31
George & Judy (Portland, OR) 2011 16' Casita SD - B32
Cece (Portland, OR) 1985 13' Lil Bigfoot - B34
Dennis & Charlene (Eugene, OR) 2008 21' Bigfoot - B36
Joan (Portland, OR) Teardrop - B37
Bud & Dottie (Concord, CA) 2007 17' Casita FD - B38
Glenn (Lyons, OR) 2010 17' Casita FD - B40
Tim & Julie (Longview, WA) 2013 Escape 15B - A74
Glen & Rita (Redding, CA) 2001 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe (Modified) - A79
Ward & Linda (Ferndale, WA) 2011 17' Casita - A99
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Ray and Carol, I'll take your advice to look at one in person. The Scamp salesman gave us a couple of names but both were over two hours from here. Since this weekend is Labor Day, I'm hoping to see one at a nearby RV park. The rally in Oregon is also an excellent suggestion. We're willing to drive further if we can see more than one at a time. Thanks.
Your chances of just running into one at an RV park are not high. A 2 hour drive is by most of our standards a *very* short drive to go and look at a trailer to decide if its going to work for you are not. Trust me you will kick yourself for not having gone and seen it & other brands of the same size prior, if it turns out you don't really like it or you see shortly after picking it up the trailer you wish you had bought instead.

You could start a new thread here and ask if anyone near you has one they are willing to show you. You could also keep an eye on Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for Scamp 16's for sale - perhaps one is for sale near you that you could go look at to at least give you some idea as to what to expect. Scamp hasn't change much in their trailers since the early 90's so the age doesn't really matter & hard to tell them apart. Also Escape trailers is just over the border and if your not willing to drive to the factory call them & they will tell you where the nearest owner to you is as well - LOTS of them in Washington.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #39

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantb View Post
the minnesota state fair is on now......demos.......
road trip!:d
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
I agree with Carol that a 2-hour drive is really not that bad, considering the size of the investment you are preparing to make. In rural Arizona, 2 hours is a grocery run! Even better if the two are the actual layouts you are considering (16' deluxe A and B ). I think you'll find they "feel" different inside, something no photo or floorplan can evoke. Only you can know what "feels" right to you.

The rally is also a good idea, even though I didn't see any Scamp 16'ers on the list. You'll see what else is out there so you can make the very best informed decision. We're a passionate, opinionated bunch here, and we love our trailers! We want you to enjoy yours just as much!

Tags
scamp