Need Help First TT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: Alissa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Need Help First TT

This will be my first TT, looking for a small used TT. I can only pull 3500 lbs with my suv. I want something that is well made, that will not leak and that makes the most out of the small space it has. So fiberglass seems like the way to go. Now I need help deciding what fiberglass manufacturer to go with. Looking at used around 16ft. Any suggestions?
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Alissa!

You're in exactly the right place, and a 16'er is a great size. Scamp and Casita both make 16' models, they will weigh in around 2400-2800 pounds once you load them up, and they're fairly commonly available on the used market at a wide range of prices depending on age and condition. Or brand new, if that's what you want! Molded fiberglass trailers are sold factory-direct, no dealers; Scamp is in MN, Casita is in TX.

There are others, but those are the most common in that size range. The website Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale compiles listings for used molded fiberglass trailers from the US and Canada.

If you have a chance, a visit to one of the fiberglass egg rallies (see the Rally section of the forum) is a good way to get a first-hand look at many makes and models.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Alissa,

If your looking for used, keep your eyes on the types of tt your interested in (many different options). The wider range your willing to accept the better chances of finding one. Then there is price range. Again know what your looking for and what you feel comfortable tackling. For me I was looking for a project, some are looking for just cosmetic fixes. Either way, if you see something you like, as other have mentioned, you have to be able to act quickly and be willing to travel. I found the one I was interested in called the seller and was on the road for 34 hr road trip within a couple of days. All part of a great experience. Got lucky to meet a quality owner that was very honest. First experience did not go as well. Drove 6 hrs to Toledo to look at an old boler that needed much work. Owner did not tell me it was completely abused by mice. Not easy to turn around and drive away but fortunately, the bad vibe I got from the owner (knew he picked it up out of a field for a few hundred and wanted to make a healthy profit) made it easy to walk away. Again, do your research, when you find what you want, get in contact with the owner, ask as many questions as you can, then trust your gut. Good luck and remember this is all part of the journey.

Best of luck with your journey.

Dan
rocknboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I towed a 17' Escape with my older Honda pilot (rated at 3500) with no trouble - so that might be another option for you.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Escape also used to make a 15' model that comes up for sale once in a while. Nice trailers, but hard to find.

For weight information, see the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section. Post #296 links to a spreadsheet of the data.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:04 AM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Definately go to a rally. I was shopping for a 13' until I went inside a few. Bought a 1999 16' Casita in Nov. and couldn't imagine having anything smaller. I shopped for 15 months and lost 1 before beating it 9 hours to N. MI to buy my Casita. $6500 for mint condition. I didn't want to do any more than decoraing and provisioning. Look at the 4 Sale sights every day and act quickly when u see what u think you want. If u get there and it is not, you can always just drive home with your money.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

Name: Alissa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
I contacted Casita and had them send me a price list, I was shocked that I can order a brand new 2016 for less than most are wanting for a used one. They are have a sale going on and all models are 3k+ off. I'm in the works of renting one next weekend to see how I like it. This forum has been suck a huge help!!
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Be careful what model Casita you try to tow. Any of the 17 Deluxe model will be out of your tow range..perhaps a 16

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Hi Alissa, Both Scamp and Caista's will work for you!

all the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote