Need Help Identifying this Fiberglass Travel Trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #29

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Joe As relates to the issue of Popular Mechanics, here is the problem. Unfortunately in the households of some of the 70 plus group (or at least the household of Lee and Norma, members of said group) there is considerable difference in "have" and "can locate". I will do some exploration in our garage and If I can locate it, it's yours. I will keep you posted. Lee

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Joe As relates to the issue of Popular Mechanics, here is the problem. Unfortunately in the households of some of the 70 plus group (or at least the household of Lee and Norma, members of said group) there is considerable difference in "have" and "can locate". I will do some exploration in our garage and If I can locate it, it's yours. I will keep you posted. Lee
Thank you, Lee. Don't trouble yourself too much please. If you can put your hands on it...great, but if not...no worries. I am grateful for the offer. Many thanks.
Best,
JB

Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #31

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Great tailer! Question? I have ever seen a 20 bottle mounted this way. It must be a special tank to draw gas and not liquid, Right?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Great tailer! Question? I have ever seen a 20 bottle mounted this way. It must be a special tank to draw gas and not liquid, Right?

Hello Don,

That is a good question and one I cannot answer. I wonder if anyone else can chime in on this. I do know that one can purchase horizontal mount tanks on the vintage trailer supply website...I assume this is made for the horizontal tank. It does have special brackets welded on the hitch to support the tank.

Best,
JB
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 13 ft
New Brunswick
Registry
Quote:
Hello Don,

That is a good question and one I cannot answer. I wonder if anyone else can chime in on this. I do know that one can purchase horizontal mount tanks on the vintage trailer supply website...I assume this is made for the horizontal tank. It does have special brackets welded on the hitch to support the tank.

Best,
JB

Some cylinders ARE designed to lie horizontally for RV's and forklifts. If you look at these cylinders closely, you will see that the relief valve is mounted in the upper portion of the vapour space so that it will not vent liquid. The service valves on these tanks has a tube inside that curves upward to the top of the vapour space for the same reason.

Too make a long story short...Any appliance like a BBQ or stove that might be commected to a normal 20LB cylinder should have the cylinder always in an upright position!

A propane cylinder contains liquid and vapour. We only fill cylinders with liquid to 80% to allow room for the propane to grow if the temperature increases. This is done because we don't want liquid to be in contact with the relief valve, which is built into the service valve. If the relief valve were to vent due to an overpressure situation, it will vent vapour. Not necessarily something we want to happen, but if it does, we have a bit of propane vapour in the air. One of the properties of propane that you must be aware of, is that propane expands 277 times when it changes state from a liquid to a vapour! So if the cylinder is on it's side and vents liquid, that little bit of liquid just made a VERY LARGE amount of propane vapour!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #34

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Horizontal tanks are common, if not the norm, in motorhomes. Mine has one. They are always tucked under the MH so you never actually see them. Thats no doubt why it *seems* like they are unusual.

Bardys Geographic trailer has them.