Need ideas for cheap cheap cheap! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Lightweight trailer

Look up the Bunkhouse & Leisure Lite trailers . Motorcycles can pull either with ease . Kompact Kamp is another good one , but no longer made so you'll have to purchase used . I've had a Leisure Lite & a Kompact Kamp . I now have a 13 Scamp , as I'm 78 & finally quit biking . Good luck

Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #16

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Depending on how picky you are about appearance etc, it's possible to find an older but usable trailer in your price range. You do have to be ready to act quickly since the good ones tend to sell fast though. It took me about 6 months of looking before I found my Campster. It's in good enough condition that I was able to take it on a couple trips over the summer. It's basically a 13 foot fiberglass tent on wheels.

I'll be putting some work in on it now that I've seen what works and doesn't work. Over all I'm happy with it although I might "trade up" to something newer some day.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswheels View Post
Unfortunately I have a Toyota Sienna as my tow vehicle. So I'm rather limited to ultra lights. For some reason small trailers command prices nearing 3 times higher than a larger trailer. I could go out and buy a bigger tow vehicle and buy a larger trailer for the same cost as a decent used light weight. Heck I could get a well maintained Toyota sunrader motor home for the cost of a tiny 13' scamp. My plans for hitting the road soon do not appear to be possible. If someone has an idea for a cheap under $5k and under 2700 lbs I don't care if it's stick or not. These prices just aren't logical. Any super lights from the 80s 90s I could look out for? Thanks!
We tow with a vehicle similar to the Sienna, a Honda Odyssey. The Sienna has the same rating as our vehicle, 3500/350. You could easily tow most trailers on this website. As well keep your eyes open and you'll find what you want.

Our family has purchased 3 fiberglass trailers, a Scamp 13, a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16 and all were $5000 or less, so it is possible. All were purchased on Craig's List.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
You may want to look at the motorcycle/compact car towable pop up called the Aspen.
Trailmaster, Inc - The Aspen Classic Camper for intermediate motorcycles and compact autos

This was the original camper I was planning on in retirement, but the bad back/chronic pain drove me to the travel trailers. DH and I are not "handy" at all so buying new was our only option.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
There are many things I wish I could have done , places I wished I had visited , objects that I wished I possessed in my life but did not due to the financial costs . It's not the fault of others or any unfair , sinister plot. In my estimation Scamp's are fairly priced for the value received. If buying one means you can't afford to retire than maybe it would be best to take a better look at your retirement funds / planning. Realistically if you can't afford a small FG trailer than buy a tent and be happy with what you have
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Those Lees-ure Lite trailers look really easy to set up. If I were into tent trailers, that is a brand I'd seriously consider.

If the OP's budget were higher, I'd have suggested looking at the Relic FG trailers being custom-finished in Washington state. Relic Custom Trailers | Build Your Dream VIntage Trailer
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Our family has purchased 3 fiberglass trailers, a Scamp 13, a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16 and all were $5000 or less, so it is possible. All were purchased on Craig's List.
A few weeks back I stopped at the lumber yard to pick up some 10d galvanized nails. I bought a box when I built my house in the early 90's and they finally ran out. They used to be 50 a pound. They've gone up a little .

I found 4 trailers for under $5k on Molded Fiber 4 Sale. They all look like projects to me

Molded Fiberglass Trailer Ads - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 10-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Hello George and welcome to the forum.

Every once in a while a car manufacturer comes out with a vehicle that people "have to have". Demand is greater than supply. It's common to see car dealers add thousands to the sticker and get it. Logical? Supply and demand.

For $5000 you get a project. It most likely will need new tires, perhaps a new axle, bearing servicing at the least. Did it leak? New floor after you find the leak? An egg in ready to travel condition for $5000, not likely.

How many are you? By yourself? Sleep in the van and buy a small utility trailer for you stuff. Perhaps one of those extension tents that mount to the van? More than 2, a pop up tent trailer is a logical choice for your budget. Be creative. You'll find a way. Good luck, Raz
Pop up tent trailers weigh more than an egg. The metal in them make them very heavy. You are right though. An egg for $5000 is a project and when you get done with replacing plumbing, fridge, furnace, hot water tank, etc you have a lot invested. If you can't afford to pay for a decent unit then maybe you can't afford to travel. Use a tent or sleep in van.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Pop up tent trailers weigh more than an egg. The metal in them make them very heavy...
It depends on what you compare. I looked at small tent trailers (Coleman Taos and similar, 8' box) before I bought my Scamp. Size and feature-wise they're the closest match to a Scamp 13. In terms of dry weight they are a little lighter (1200 pounds vs 1250 for a Scamp 13), and if you factor in frontal area, they're an easier tow. They also have more bed space, and, what is more relevant to this thread, they are less expensive.

Obviously there are much larger units out there, as well as high wall units with slides and bathrooms, that get pretty heavy.

My used Scamp cost about $1000-1500 more than a Taos of similar age, condition, and features. The Scamp has turned out to be the better choice for us and well worth the extra cost. But if I hadn't been able to come up with the extra money, we'd probably be in a tent trailer today, and I would be on a different forum.

It's all good! Buy what you can afford and your vehicle can safely tow, and go camping!
Old 10-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #24

Name: Steve Robison
New Jersey
They're not that expensive. There's a 13 right now on the Columbus, OH Craigslist for $4000 which has been on there for a few months now.

More often then not people on Craigslist are cheap and are looking for very cheap deals like 2 grand or less. So you can find quite a bit in the 4-5 thousand range that are unsold.

Then there are the people that try to buy out the trailer from under you. I found my Scamp on Craigslist for $2500. When I showed up to pick it up the owner showed me a particular email of some scumbag offering $3500, so yeah you'll get those people too. I'm just really lucky that the seller was a decent dude and kept his word.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
They're not that expensive. There's a 13 right now on the Columbus, OH Craigslist for $4000 which has been on there for a few months now.

More often then not people on Craigslist are cheap and are looking for very cheap deals like 2 grand or less. So you can find quite a bit in the 4-5 thousand range that are unsold.

Then there are the people that try to buy out the trailer from under you. I found my Scamp on Craigslist for $2500. When I showed up to pick it up the owner showed me a particular email of some scumbag offering $3500, so yeah you'll get those people too. I'm just really lucky that the seller was a decent dude and kept his word.
This one?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/5794267844.html
Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #26

Name: Steve Robison
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Yeah that's the one I've seen on there for months. He started out at $5000, it keeps going down in price.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

For a basic tt at the lower end cost the 13 footers are about what you need. Most are simple, no bathroom fiberglass tents with a simple stove top, but they are dry and snug and you can stand up in them. The Burro / u-haul units are simple (ice box, no propane fridge), easy wash fiberglass interior. The Compact Junior I I can be had at economy pricing and it has a pop up center section that provides headroom with a lower tow profile. The 13 casitas and scamps can be found in newer year models for under 8k or the 17 footers have a full bathroom (your wife would like that), a side table settee and most amenities (stove, microwave, fridge, heater, etc), but at 12k and 2800 lbs. If I were to choose a simple first rig i think it would be the 13 burro or trillium. One thing for sure if you take good care of it you will get 100% of your money back when you sell it. This is a good time of the year to buy one, they are more expensive in the spring. Just get one that is ready to go and not a project so you can get out and camp sooner.

I kind of have a usable work in progress as it is a 78 model trillium 4500, but it was reasonably priced completely usable and it is fun to fix up as I get the time. I did buy a 17 Casita and loved the layout, but the Trillium was more specious even though it was 2 feet shorter, (bigger windows, no bathroom) No bathroom you say - i usually camp at state parks (10 bucks a night senior) with bath house and water/electric provided so it turned out i used the bathroom on the Casita as a closet. I sold the Casita and am keeping the Trillium for now. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...000-pahrump-nv

Sent from my STV100-3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app