Need ideas for cheap cheap cheap! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Our family has purchased 3 fiberglass trailers, a Scamp 13, a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16 and all were $5000 or less, so it is possible. All were purchased on Craig's List.
A few weeks back I stopped at the lumber yard to pick up some 10d galvanized nails. I bought a box when I built my house in the early 90's and they finally ran out. They used to be 50˘ a pound. They've gone up a little .

I found 4 trailers for under $5k on Molded Fiber 4 Sale. They all look like projects to me

Molded Fiberglass Trailer Ads - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Hello George and welcome to the forum.

Every once in a while a car manufacturer comes out with a vehicle that people "have to have". Demand is greater than supply. It's common to see car dealers add thousands to the sticker and get it. Logical? Supply and demand.

For $5000 you get a project. It most likely will need new tires, perhaps a new axle, bearing servicing at the least. Did it leak? New floor after you find the leak? An egg in ready to travel condition for $5000, not likely.

How many are you? By yourself? Sleep in the van and buy a small utility trailer for you stuff. Perhaps one of those extension tents that mount to the van? More than 2, a pop up tent trailer is a logical choice for your budget. Be creative. You'll find a way. Good luck, Raz
Pop up tent trailers weigh more than an egg. The metal in them make them very heavy. You are right though. An egg for $5000 is a project and when you get done with replacing plumbing, fridge, furnace, hot water tank, etc you have a lot invested. If you can't afford to pay for a decent unit then maybe you can't afford to travel. Use a tent or sleep in van.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Pop up tent trailers weigh more than an egg. The metal in them make them very heavy...
It depends on what you compare. I looked at small tent trailers (Coleman Taos and similar, 8' box) before I bought my Scamp. Size and feature-wise they're the closest match to a Scamp 13. In terms of dry weight they are a little lighter (1200 pounds vs 1250 for a Scamp 13), and if you factor in frontal area, they're an easier tow. They also have more bed space, and, what is more relevant to this thread, they are less expensive.

Obviously there are much larger units out there, as well as high wall units with slides and bathrooms, that get pretty heavy.

My used Scamp cost about $1000-1500 more than a Taos of similar age, condition, and features. The Scamp has turned out to be the better choice for us and well worth the extra cost. But if I hadn't been able to come up with the extra money, we'd probably be in a tent trailer today, and I would be on a different forum.

It's all good! Buy what you can afford and your vehicle can safely tow, and go camping!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #24

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
They're not that expensive. There's a 13 right now on the Columbus, OH Craigslist for $4000 which has been on there for a few months now.

More often then not people on Craigslist are cheap and are looking for very cheap deals like 2 grand or less. So you can find quite a bit in the 4-5 thousand range that are unsold.

Then there are the people that try to buy out the trailer from under you. I found my Scamp on Craigslist for $2500. When I showed up to pick it up the owner showed me a particular email of some scumbag offering $3500, so yeah you'll get those people too. I'm just really lucky that the seller was a decent dude and kept his word.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
They're not that expensive. There's a 13 right now on the Columbus, OH Craigslist for $4000 which has been on there for a few months now.

More often then not people on Craigslist are cheap and are looking for very cheap deals like 2 grand or less. So you can find quite a bit in the 4-5 thousand range that are unsold.

Then there are the people that try to buy out the trailer from under you. I found my Scamp on Craigslist for $2500. When I showed up to pick it up the owner showed me a particular email of some scumbag offering $3500, so yeah you'll get those people too. I'm just really lucky that the seller was a decent dude and kept his word.
This one?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/5794267844.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #26

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Yeah that's the one I've seen on there for months. He started out at $5000, it keeps going down in price.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

For a basic tt at the lower end cost the 13 footers are about what you need. Most are simple, no bathroom fiberglass tents with a simple stove top, but they are dry and snug and you can stand up in them. The Burro / u-haul units are simple (ice box, no propane fridge), easy wash fiberglass interior. The Compact Junior I I can be had at economy pricing and it has a pop up center section that provides headroom with a lower tow profile. The 13 casitas and scamps can be found in newer year models for under 8k or the 17 footers have a full bathroom (your wife would like that), a side table settee and most amenities (stove, microwave, fridge, heater, etc), but at 12k and 2800 lbs. If I were to choose a simple first rig i think it would be the 13 burro or trillium. One thing for sure if you take good care of it you will get 100% of your money back when you sell it. This is a good time of the year to buy one, they are more expensive in the spring. Just get one that is ready to go and not a project so you can get out and camp sooner.

I kind of have a usable work in progress as it is a 78 model trillium 4500, but it was reasonably priced completely usable and it is fun to fix up as I get the time. I did buy a 17 Casita and loved the layout, but the Trillium was more specious even though it was 2 feet shorter, (bigger windows, no bathroom) No bathroom you say - i usually camp at state parks (10 bucks a night senior) with bath house and water/electric provided so it turned out i used the bathroom on the Casita as a closet. I sold the Casita and am keeping the Trillium for now. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
drd715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...000-pahrump-nv

Sent from my STV100-3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:28 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If that is not a scam, it is one of the best deals I've seen in a while. It won't last long. And even then, it sounds like it may need a few repairs and possibly a new fridge ($$).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is a relatively inexpensive option for a small travel trailer. It is not fiberglass but they do appear to be well made and customers seems to be happy with them. I have seen a couple of videos about them and thought they would suit many people who don't need any frills for camping but also don't have the place to achieve a renovation of an older fiberglass trailer.
A Simple Teardrop Trailer Is the Perfect Adventure Vehicle | Outside Online
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
this is what a REAL teardrop trailer looks like!! Not like that box thing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0197.jpg   IMG_0194.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #32

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswheels View Post
Thank you all for all the replies and suggestions, I really do appreciate it. As for why i'm committed to my Sienna, it's a 2005 that I bought for $4000 and it's fuel economy for how much cargo room is a bargain. It's also very reliable and i'm really not up to changing vehicles. The hassle of finding used vehicle bargains and avoiding lemons can be rather challenging for me.

Considering the high cost of trailers i've made the decision to convert my Sienna mini van to have a fold up bed / couch and maybe i'll tow a tiny cargo trailer or use a large Thule for gear. It's not really my first choice for traveling but for me things have to be financially logical. Especially if I find out I don't like traveling. (I've never really left Oregon) A $200 bed conversion is sounding so much better than $13k...For now anyways since i've never really traveled.
l
You may to check out this website and forum. Very good info on how to go as cheap as possible.

VanDweller Community Forums - Newcomer's Corner
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #33

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Or you could use one of these.
That's what I was going to suggest. You can get quite a nice tent, plus a screen house to put over your picnic table, for maybe a tenth of $5,000. When we had little kids, we had a 12x12 tent that was really quite spacious—and you could stand up in it.

Then, if you decide you really need a trailer, you can start saving for one.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you could find one of these that has the camper canvas option it would work. Mid 80's Coleman Versa trailer. Only made a few years, the box is 50" wide, about 5' long, optional plastic (not fiberglass) hinged cover and optional canvas. Front and rear drop down "tailgate" to enable it to carry a sheet of plywood I bought one with the cover but no canvas for $350
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0399.jpg   IMG_0398.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote