Need ideas for cheap cheap cheap! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Need ideas for cheap cheap cheap!

Unfortunately I have a Toyota Sienna as my tow vehicle. So I'm rather limited to ultra lights. For some reason small trailers command prices nearing 3 times higher than a larger trailer. I could go out and buy a bigger tow vehicle and buy a larger trailer for the same cost as a decent used light weight. Heck I could get a well maintained Toyota sunrader motor home for the cost of a tiny 13' scamp. My plans for hitting the road soon do not appear to be possible. If someone has an idea for a cheap under $5k and under 2700 lbs I don't care if it's stick or not. These prices just aren't logical. Any super lights from the 80s 90s I could look out for? Thanks!
Glasswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswheels View Post
Unfortunately I have a Toyota Sienna as my tow vehicle. So I'm rather limited to ultra lights. For some reason small trailers command prices nearing 3 times higher than a larger trailer. I could go out and buy a bigger tow vehicle and buy a larger trailer for the same cost as a decent used light weight. Heck I could get a well maintained Toyota sunrader motor home for the cost of a tiny 13' scamp. My plans for hitting the road soon do not appear to be possible. If someone has an idea for a cheap under $5k and under 2700 lbs I don't care if it's stick or not. These prices just aren't logical. Any super lights from the 80s 90s I could look out for? Thanks!
Welcome to FGRV George. Yup, it is the nature of the beast that these molded TT's hold their value over the years unlike stick built trailers. I understand your questioning the $ difference, coming from over 30 years of stick built RVs myself. Short story, all TT's can leak but the damage done in the FG ones are repairable, the major fix in some may be replacing the floor. No wall damage like normal RV builds. Secondly, there are very few built every year compared to the normal RV build. Don't know the real number but I would guess that the molded trailer world would be well less than 1% of all TT's built per year. If you should ever go to one of our rallies you would see some 30-40 year old eggs that look like new and would command a lot of $$$ if they hit the market plus talk to the owners for info. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #3

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Considered a pop-up?

Maybe an A-Liner? Home - Aliner

With good care, you could squeeze 15 years out of one I bet.
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello George and welcome to the forum.

Every once in a while a car manufacturer comes out with a vehicle that people "have to have". Demand is greater than supply. It's common to see car dealers add thousands to the sticker and get it. Logical? Supply and demand.

For $5000 you get a project. It most likely will need new tires, perhaps a new axle, bearing servicing at the least. Did it leak? New floor after you find the leak? An egg in ready to travel condition for $5000, not likely.

How many are you? By yourself? Sleep in the van and buy a small utility trailer for you stuff. Perhaps one of those extension tents that mount to the van? More than 2, a pop up tent trailer is a logical choice for your budget. Be creative. You'll find a way. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's simple supply and demand. There has been a run-up in demand over the last few years, and the supply of the smaller fiberglass eggs is pretty steady at a tiny fraction of total RV sales, new and used, in a given year.

Due to the manufacturing process, expansion of molded fiberglass production by existing manufacturers and start-up of new manufacturers is expensive and time-consuming. Considering the cyclical nature of the RV market, there is not exactly a rush to jump in despite the current high demand. Companies like Scamp and Casita have long amortized their start-up costs, so it is virtually impossible to compete with them price-wise. All that to say the limited supply of new trailers keeps used prices high.

If you're in a hurry to get on the road, you might have to go to plan B. But if you're patient, willing to travel some distance on short notice, and if you gradually add to your budget while you look, you have a decent chance of landing an egg that is not a project.

Sunraders are nice little units, but you're saddled with maintaining an aging chassis and drivetrain. With a trailer you can update your tow vehicle as needed and keep your RV.

The silver lining is resale. I thought I was paying a lot for mine four years ago. But it's worth at least 50% more now than I paid. Most conventional trailers depreciate, and fast.

I will add that I was looking for a small tent trailer to pull with a Sienna when I stumbled across our Scamp. I would have been happy with a tent trailer, too, simply because the real goal was to go camping with my family. The means is secondary.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
If it's only for two people, this one looks to be a good deal (pending a careful inspection, of course):

1972 Compact Jr. in Utah
Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

Name: Ryan
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Many of us would sell our campers for five thousand. I know I would sell my 1987 uhaul In a heartbeat for five thousand. Travel ready. I recommend you figure out what kind of traveling thou wish to do. Also, I don't know how talk you are, but the thirteen footers are mostly impractical if you are over six foot. I end up using my teardrop camper way more just because it's more comfortable to sleep in. If you're used to the space of a popup, you will definitely notice being downsized. Is there a special reason you're committed to the Sienna?
oldblacksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Here's another:

1984 Burro in Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacksmoker View Post
...Is there a special reason you're committed to the Sienna?
Of course I can't speak for the OP, but my 2000 Sienna was the most reliable, economical, and practical vehicle I have ever owned. They make great tow vehicles for trailers up to around 2500 pounds or so.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Name: George
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacksmoker View Post
Many of us would sell our campers for five thousand. I know I would sell my 1987 uhaul In a heartbeat for five thousand. Travel ready. I recommend you figure out what kind of traveling thou wish to do. Also, I don't know how talk you are, but the thirteen footers are mostly impractical if you are over six foot. I end up using my teardrop camper way more just because it's more comfortable to sleep in. If you're used to the space of a popup, you will definitely notice being downsized. Is there a special reason you're committed to the Sienna?
Thank you all for all the replies and suggestions, I really do appreciate it. As for why i'm committed to my Sienna, it's a 2005 that I bought for $4000 and it's fuel economy for how much cargo room is a bargain. It's also very reliable and i'm really not up to changing vehicles. The hassle of finding used vehicle bargains and avoiding lemons can be rather challenging for me.

Considering the high cost of trailers i've made the decision to convert my Sienna mini van to have a fold up bed / couch and maybe i'll tow a tiny cargo trailer or use a large Thule for gear. It's not really my first choice for traveling but for me things have to be financially logical. Especially if I find out I don't like traveling. (I've never really left Oregon) A $200 bed conversion is sounding so much better than $13k...For now anyways since i've never really traveled.

Oh and it's just me and my wife, i'm under 6', shes much smaller so the van thing should work. Would love to be able to turn the front seats into captain chairs so that they can swing around for lounge space.

Another crazy idea I had is to tow a really tiny cargo trailer and install a shower in it. Thats a little too wild an ambitious though. Or how about just tow around a full size bathroom with a tub lol
Glasswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Another crazy idea I had is to tow a really tiny cargo trailer and install a shower in it. Thats a little too wild an ambitious though. Or how about just tow around a full size bathroom with a tub lol
Or not so crazy. There was a 6x10 cargo for sale in Phoenix a while back just as you describe, with a shower and small sink in the front. The rest was nicely finished with garage tiles and one opening window for ventilation. The seller used it to haul a motorcycle, and I guess he wanted to have a place to clean up after a ride.

Now a hot tub... that I'd call crazy!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Ventilation, condensation, and insect control are all things to think about when using a stock van. A roof vent or fan are worth considering if you are willing to cut a hole in the roof.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Go to the tnttt forum, lots of cargo trailer to camper conversions there. The couple we bought our Casita from did a cargo trailer conversion and it's quite nice. One clever idea they had was a wall and door inside the original swinging doors, so when parked the swinging doors are opened 90 degrees with a canopy attached over them. And it fits in their garage where the Casita did not.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thank you all for all the replies and suggestions, I really do appreciate it. As for why i'm committed to my Sienna, it's a 2005 that I bought for $4000 and it's fuel economy for how much cargo room is a bargain. It's also very reliable and i'm really not up to changing vehicles. The hassle of finding used vehicle bargains and avoiding lemons can be rather challenging for me.

Considering the high cost of trailers i've made the decision to convert my Sienna mini van to have a fold up bed / couch and maybe i'll tow a tiny cargo trailer or use a large Thule for gear. It's not really my first choice for traveling but for me things have to be financially logical. Especially if I find out I don't like traveling. (I've never really left Oregon) A $200 bed conversion is sounding so much better than $13k...For now anyways since i've never really traveled.

Oh and it's just me and my wife, i'm under 6', shes much smaller so the van thing should work. Would love to be able to turn the front seats into captain chairs so that they can swing around for lounge space.

Another crazy idea I had is to tow a really tiny cargo trailer and install a shower in it. Thats a little too wild an ambitious though. Or how about just tow around a full size bathroom with a tub lol
Or you could use one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
8f91b099-414a-442a-b9cf-95aa51306cda_1.3fa3d358f04c07cb72d9657722821a00.jpeg  
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
This is not fiberglass, but you might like to look at it:
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/tro/5833371636.html
I had a similar floorplan from KZ for about 3 years. It was about 2700 lbs when loaded for camping, and hitch weight was about 350 lbs if I didn't fill the fresh water tank (up front). I towed it with a 2008 Highlander.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Lightweight trailer

Look up the Bunkhouse & Leisure Lite trailers . Motorcycles can pull either with ease . Kompact Kamp is another good one , but no longer made so you'll have to purchase used . I've had a Leisure Lite & a Kompact Kamp . I now have a 13 Scamp , as I'm 78 & finally quit biking . Good luck
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #16

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Depending on how picky you are about appearance etc, it's possible to find an older but usable trailer in your price range. You do have to be ready to act quickly since the good ones tend to sell fast though. It took me about 6 months of looking before I found my Campster. It's in good enough condition that I was able to take it on a couple trips over the summer. It's basically a 13 foot fiberglass tent on wheels.

I'll be putting some work in on it now that I've seen what works and doesn't work. Over all I'm happy with it although I might "trade up" to something newer some day.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sienna

Quote:
We tow with a vehicle similar to the Sienna, a Honda Odyssey. The Sienna has the same rating as our vehicle, 3500/350. You could easily tow most trailers on this website. As well keep your eyes open and you'll find what you want.

Our family has purchased 3 fiberglass trailers, a Scamp 13, a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16 and all were $5000 or less, so it is possible. All were purchased on Craig's List.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
You may want to look at the motorcycle/compact car towable pop up called the Aspen.
Trailmaster, Inc - The Aspen Classic Camper for intermediate motorcycles and compact autos

This was the original camper I was planning on in retirement, but the bad back/chronic pain drove me to the travel trailers. DH and I are not "handy" at all so buying new was our only option.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
There are many things I wish I could have done , places I wished I had visited , objects that I wished I possessed in my life but did not due to the financial costs . It's not the fault of others or any unfair , sinister plot. In my estimation Scamp's are fairly priced for the value received. If buying one means you can't afford to retire than maybe it would be best to take a better look at your retirement funds / planning. Realistically if you can't afford a small FG trailer than buy a tent and be happy with what you have
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Those Lees-ure Lite trailers look really easy to set up. If I were into tent trailers, that is a brand I'd seriously consider.

If the OP's budget were higher, I'd have suggested looking at the Relic FG trailers being custom-finished in Washington state. Relic Custom Trailers | Build Your Dream VIntage Trailer
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote