Need opinion on Scamp ASAP! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1984 16' Scamp
Missouri
Need opinion on Scamp ASAP!

Hey all, new around here and looking to buy soon. I found a scamp that I'm really interested in because the price is right.

I'm not going to say if I give out too much info, I'm afraid someone will sweep in and take my find but I'm afraid to post this because someone might beat me to it! I'm in North Carolina and driving to Kansas City, leaving tonight and this little guy is about 8 hours out of the way but I have 3 days to make the trip and because the price is beater than I've seen for early 80s 16 footers, I'm willing to drive out of my way. What's the rush anyway?

With that being said, here's some pictures. I'm on my iPhone so I may have to split up the pictures.

Info: early 80s 16 foot model. No bathroom or toilet, which is why I'm kind of on the fence. A porta potty for late night tinkles is an option, especially for my wife. Campgrounds will have showers and if none available, outdoor shower options. At least this is what I'm telling myself to justify this one over a heavy, stick built TT.

I've been told the trailer is owned by an older disabled couple who can't use it anymore. There son is a carpenter and completely remodeled it. Pictures say a lot. New appliances, new tires, new wiring, etc.

Judging by the pictures, what's this baby worth? Will I hate not having a bathroom? Again, I'm good with it but will my wife hate me for it?

Needing opinions today, if you have a second!
ryanlikestacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

Missouri
Outside
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
I'm not seeing your pictures show up.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

Missouri
Bear with me a few minutes, I'm trying to figure out how to upload from my iPhone
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

Missouri
Ok, I've made a photo album in my profile called possible purchase until I can figure out otherwise. Hopefully they are viewable? Thanks ya'll!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have you looked here: Scamp Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

to see what similar trailers have sold for? That is a good sanity test.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Missouri
Tom, I certainly have, and from what I've seen, similar age and spec trailers in worse shape are selling for quite a bit more. Maybe I just need some support to pull the trigger?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikestacos View Post
Tom, I certainly have, and from what I've seen, similar age and spec trailers in worse shape are selling for quite a bit more. Maybe I just need some support to pull the trigger?
If the floor isn't rotten, the door isn't sagging, the frame is solid and you get a clear title, you are pretty certain to have something that you could resell for what you paid as a worst case.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #9

It looks really nice but pictures can be deceiving so keep that in mind. My concern would be odors anywhere from musty to odors from pet "accidents". Sometimes people go to great lengths to try to cover it up. I'm always suspicious if all the windows and doors are open when I go to look at something. If the price is good someone should grab it pretty quick. Is this a surprise for your wife? Ask her how she feels about not having a bathroom. If I wanted a bathroom, I would not settle for this trailer because getting something you really don't want will leave a void and I know this from experience, more than one! Sometimes being frugal gets in the way of my being satisfied.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
It looks really nice but pictures can be deceiving so keep that in mind. My concern would be odors anywhere from musty to odors from pet "accidents". Sometimes people go to great lengths to try to cover it up. I'm always suspicious if all the windows and doors are open when I go to look at something. If the price is good someone should grab it pretty quick. Is this a surprise for your wife? Ask her how she feels about not having a bathroom. If I wanted a bathroom, I would not settle for this trailer because getting something you really don't want will leave a void and I know this from experience, more than one! Sometimes being frugal gets in the way of my being satisfied.
Good advice there for sure! Asking if the floor was sagging was one of the things I didn't ask anyway, it appears and I was told it was restored but even bigger question is why was it restored? I'll have to "bug" the seller once again.

Not a surprise for my wife at all. If interested in more of the story as to why I'm buying read my intro thread. I will probably end up living in the thing for about a 6 month military temporary duty assignment and after that for weekend trailer for myself, son and pup.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks nice in pics but that is a start not the finish as often when you get there you see other stuff.
Looks like it may be riding low so may need a new axle but lots of oldies do and it usually can wait. Is the fridge a 3 way or a dorm fridge - imp if you are camping with no hook ups as you can't use a dorm fridge. Make sure you look for any leaks as that leads to soft floors etc which are a bigger job.
Good luck.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ryan,

I haven't seen your pictures. If the 16 Scamp without the bathroom is the one with the front bunks, side dinette and rear dinette it is my favorite small trailer.

We have no bath. I had rigged up a tension rod privacy curtain. That is gone because I seldom used it, can put it up easily if I want it back.

The reason I especially like the above 16 trailer is that it has 3 living spaces and feels very roomy.

Lots of luck finding what works for you.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
If the floor isn't rotten, the door isn't sagging, the frame is solid and you get a clear title, you are pretty certain to have something that you could resell for what you paid as a worst case.
We're sorta shootin' in the dark here since you don't say what the asking price is, but I agree with Tom....

Qualified by saying that if those are the best things to be said about the trailer and it has other defects like non-working appliances, leaking windows etc. I'd pay no more than $3,000.00.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Also look at how far the wheels are up in the wheel wells. By that age sagging torsions axles are not uncommon and are very expensive to replace.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Also look at how far the wheels are up in the wheel wells. By that age sagging torsions axles are not uncommon and are very expensive to replace.
"Very expensive"? I've read about people getting them replaced for $600-$700. I guess that could be very expensive for some folks, but if the trailer is otherwise sound I would just factor it in when deciding if the price was right.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
After checking it out, if everything is okay, you need to be certain about the bathroom issue. Only you can answer that. It depends on how you use it and what your expectations are. My 13' has just the porta-potty. That doesn't bother me at all. What I do miss though is having a shower. I've rigged up a shower that I think will be okay for just me. But for more than one person, not having a shower is a big issue to me. If you'll always be using campgrounds with showers, its not an issue. If you decide you really need a bathroom, you can modify the trailer to add a bathroom. The 16' at least has enough room that you have that option if you're a handy guy. Just be sure about the bathroom issue.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"Very expensive"? I've read about people getting them replaced for $600-$700. I guess that could be very expensive for some folks, but if the trailer is otherwise sound I would just factor it in when deciding if the price was right.
----------------------------------------------------------

I kinda got the hint that the op was looking to get a good deal.

The mentions I have seen for new Scamp axles were for closer to $1000 and I believe it has to be cut off and the new one welded in, not the usual home mechanic project. But the factory will do that for you, just hand over your credit card.

All in all, if a buyer didn't know about the axle issue, another $600-700, on top of other items they find, could be a real deal breaker.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I could have bought a 3500# axle locally for $250. That was axle only and the brakes would have had to be removed from my old axle and bolted on the new one. This did not include installation.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
After you look at it, if you determine the axle will need to be replaced, it could be the basis for a further reduction in price.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Make sure it has a clear title. Just remembered a post by Cricket a while back.

There was a 1986 Scamp being sold a few times. It had no title. Title of post was under general chat..."I wonder what is wrong with this trailer?"

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp