Need trailer brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #15

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the input. i really appreciate it.
We have been going back and forth between the fiberglass ships and some of the new units out there of comparable sizes, but nothing comes in as low as scamp/casita types for weight. After looking last week at RV lots for a couple days, and coming close to buying a Swift, we are back set on scamp and casita. I have been searching for one for over two years. We go back and forth to AZ a lot to see kids, grandkids and parents. Every time I have been there for extended trips, and unable to get back quick enough, there is one out in CA and now that we are home..there is likely one out there. I have been extremely patient in my search, waiting for just the right unit to grab. I am thinking getting my tow vehicle ready for the go might help... Hoping for the planets, and the bank account line up at the same time to make it come together...growing weary of the search though.
You all are so great..thanks again.
Gabriele

Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Normally, I would agree. But the factory hitch on the Escape/Tribute/Mariner is pretty cheesy.

The aftermarket 2" receivers are much better built with heavy gauge tubing that will carry far more weight than the vehicle could move.

The factory will work, but My personal preference is to err on the side of caution.

Of course, I tow my Scamp with a Blazer swapped to 1 ton running gear, 10,000lb hitch and a beefed up frame.
The hitch on the Escape is good for the rating and certainly "GOUDA nuff" for the task,not cheesy at all! Francesca is right.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Don't be hornswoggled by all the folks that think a 2" hitch is "better" than the factory hitch that came on your rig.

It would do nothing for your rig to change it out, and you may in fact wind up with a setup inferior to the one designed by Ford specifically for your vehicle.

The main rationale folks seem to use when promoting 2" receivers for such small vehicles is that it's easier to find/fit accessories like bike/cargo racks. Even were this true, an adapter for that purpose is readily available for the hitch you have on the tug right now. Cost: about twenty bucks.

Francesca
Yes, and those racks will fit soooo well with that adapter and won't shake, rattle, and roll all over the place...not. I'm not saying they need one for their use, but there is NO downside to a 2" hitch over a 1 1/4" hitch. There are more than a few downsides to the 1 1/4" hitch.

As for the brake controller, it can be installed in an hour or two, pretty easy setup.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I wouldn't use one of those adapters to put a 2" rack in a 1.25" receiver, both because of the rattling and because it would extend the rack rearward increasing stress on the hitch and making hitting the ground with the rack more likely... but there are 1.25" racks and this has nothing to do with towing anyway. Again, if there is no problem to be fixed, why take a suitable and manufacturer-endorsed receiver off?

It would be a different situation if the Escape didn't already have a suitable hitch. Even then, it would make sense to look at factors such as mounting hardware installation, and fit with the bumper cover; the factory 1.25" receiver might still be the preferred choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
A brake controller doesn't take long to install, but it is important to place it carefully. It needs to be visible, easily reachable, and not in the way.

There's also the matter of picking a suitable controller, but I don't see any point in rehashing that in this thread - there are lots of existing discussions of the subject.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I'd stay with the factory hitch. I believe it is integrated into the bumper, so a larger hitch will either leave a hole above the new hitch or require trimming the plastic bumper. In any case, it is rated to tow what you need to tow.

I would consider having a charging line installed along with a brake controller so you can charge the trailer battery as you tow.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #21

California
I like the charging line idea... Thanks for that suggestion.
Keep your fingers crossed gang. We are on the road right now to see a scamp. Gonna hope we can find a place that will install our brake controller after the fact . Hope all goes well. Thank you all for your help.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Francesca's link to the installation kit below will give you the charge line and components for your 7 pin plug with charge line. It will also work with your existing 4 pin plug and the 4 pin plugs into the outlet, in the end you will have both the 7 pin connector and the 4 pin too. So if you tow any other light trailers your still all set up. This is the same kit I used on my Nissan Pathfinder. You will still need to deal with a Brake controller and when its hooked up it attaches to this kit too completeing the tow rig electrical / brake hook-ups.
As for the trailer ball, depending on what make of trailer and year of trailer you will need eithor a 1-7/8" ball or a 2" ball but as long as you have the stinger you can easily purchase what you need at any auto parts any time. The small 1-1/4" stinger is odd in the open market so if your going to use it get one ahead of time so your ready.
The biggest thing you need is a wad of cash and the engine idling when you find a trailer. You dont have time to Hehaw on a good trailer you have to drop everything and go see it. Any good trailer on the open market with a decent price will be gone in hours. There are more people looking for a good trailer than there are good trailers up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
You don't say what year your Escape is, but I think E-trailer has all the parts you need for a controller and installation along with related instructional videos. ( Link to page)

Worth checking out even if you pay someone else to do the job!

Francesca
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #23

California
Yes, I found that out, so Tuesday when I heard from the guy in Vegas, we headed out there...We just got home with our New Scamp.

Tags
brakes