Need trailer brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #21

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
I like the charging line idea... Thanks for that suggestion.
Keep your fingers crossed gang. We are on the road right now to see a scamp. Gonna hope we can find a place that will install our brake controller after the fact . Hope all goes well. Thank you all for your help.
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Francesca's link to the installation kit below will give you the charge line and components for your 7 pin plug with charge line. It will also work with your existing 4 pin plug and the 4 pin plugs into the outlet, in the end you will have both the 7 pin connector and the 4 pin too. So if you tow any other light trailers your still all set up. This is the same kit I used on my Nissan Pathfinder. You will still need to deal with a Brake controller and when its hooked up it attaches to this kit too completeing the tow rig electrical / brake hook-ups.
As for the trailer ball, depending on what make of trailer and year of trailer you will need eithor a 1-7/8" ball or a 2" ball but as long as you have the stinger you can easily purchase what you need at any auto parts any time. The small 1-1/4" stinger is odd in the open market so if your going to use it get one ahead of time so your ready.
The biggest thing you need is a wad of cash and the engine idling when you find a trailer. You dont have time to Hehaw on a good trailer you have to drop everything and go see it. Any good trailer on the open market with a decent price will be gone in hours. There are more people looking for a good trailer than there are good trailers up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
You don't say what year your Escape is, but I think E-trailer has all the parts you need for a controller and installation along with related instructional videos. ( Link to page)

Worth checking out even if you pay someone else to do the job!

Francesca
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #23

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
Yes, I found that out, so Tuesday when I heard from the guy in Vegas, we headed out there...We just got home with our New Scamp.
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes