Needles Highway Photo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Needles Highway Photo

Good Morning,

I haven't posted here in a while. We still have our Scamp and still use it occasionally. Not as much as we'd like! Our kids are in high school so it's not quite as fun to camp with mom and dad anymore.

I'm looking for a picture that I have seen on here before. I did a few searches and couldn't find it specifically.

It's a picture of a Scamp 13' getting pulled through a tiny tunnel in South Dakota on their needles highway. If someone could repost that pic in this thread it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy trails.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is it this one? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dle-26706.html it's an Eco tho...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No, that is not it. It was from behind so you could see the scamp.

The owner was a guy named Pete I believe, they travelled with a parrot, me thinks?

Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Needles Experience

We were traveling the Needles Highway in our Honda and suddenly there was a diesel motorhome in front of us towing a Jeep Comanche. We had just finished the switch back section before the first tunnel.

We had cruised the road before and Ginny and I looked at each other in shock knowing the guy in front of us was now in real trouble. Finally as he approached the tunnel he realized it was impossible to go thru. Of course the beginning of the highway and every park map contains warnings but....

Of course it's impossible to turn a diesel around on those small roads. All I could imagine was him disconnecting his Jeep and backing down. No easy task with those switchbacks.

An advantage of the gas motorhomes is that their wheels are not at the extreme rear but like a trailer at the 60% point meaning you can back the rear end off a cliff to turn around.

It pays to have a good, aware navigator, another way Ginny is priceless. The Needles Highway is a great drive right up there with the Petrolia Road in CA and many others.

Norm

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We just did the whole SD thing the first part of this month. I have to tell you, when we started Needles Highway, going up to Harney's Peak, I was too squimish to go to the top. When we got to the beautiful lodge, we got off on the only intersecting road. Just passing another truck did me in and they were on the cliff side. I couldn't even look at the scenery.

We had done the other side of the loop, two days before, and never dreamed the other half could be worse. At one point we almost did not negotiate one of the turns. When my husband said he was a little worried about all the fog at the top, that did it for me.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Witt View Post
No, that is not it. It was from behind so you could see the scamp.

The owner was a guy named Pete I believe, they travelled with a parrot, me thinks?

Pat Murphy used to tow a 13' Scamp and traveled with a parrot. Wonder whether you could search his posts?
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote