Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #221

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Having the wiring in place for a microwave makes sense to me. As solar gets cheaper, microwaves may become more common in campers. In my Trilliums, I would hang the microwave from the upper kitchen cupboards, above the sink. The trouble is that I don't have a 120VAC outlet there.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #222

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Answers to your Big 3

1. Workspace between the sink and cook top would be best, but fitted covers, with a dedicated storage space for both the cooktop and sink could be a second idea.

2. We cook inside almost all of the time. The only outside cooking would be over an occasional campfire.

3. A 2 way (LP/120VAC) refrigerator trumps the best electric only refrigerator. An electric only refrigerator will be a negative for any that boondock.

4. Microwave ovens are a consumable appliance. Provide space for one with a plug, and a door than can be installed to use the space for storage. I used to have one in several previous FGRV's and don't miss having one at all.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #223

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink?

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer?

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?)
Q1 More space around the sink than stove.

Q2. We cook breakfast every day in the trailer. Any bacon odor dissipates shortly.

Q3. Don't know 12 volt trailers. Can't imagine not having propane, no propane you need a heck of a lot of solar panels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #224

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
#1 I prefer more counter space next to the sink. However, if the sink and stove are next to each other, no big deal.
#2 I almost always cook in my trailer.
#3 I love my propane refrigerator and a a 20 lb bottle seems to last almost forever. Trying to run a refrigerator on 12V seems like it would pretty much limit your opportunities to places where you have electricity or force carrying a generator.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #225

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hey Robert

Q1. More space by the sink. Need room for dishes before they are washed and after.
Q2. We do about 10% of the cooking inside the trailer. Mostly liquids - soup, pasta, boiling water, etc.
Q3. That refrigerator looks amazing. I have a 12V DC Nova Kool unit with a 120watt solar panel set up that works perfect.

Here are a couple of photos of my galley. The glass top Smev sink and stove are great for additional counter top space (sink still needs to be installed but have had the stove for a full season). I have also added a counter top extension on the right side of the galley for more space.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG   Counter.JPG  

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #226

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
3. A 2 way (LP/120VAC) refrigerator trumps the best electric only refrigerator. An electric only refrigerator will be a negative for any that boondock.
Bob, where is your evidence to back up this statement? I have no personal experience but have read with interest several people on this forum successfully operating a 12V only refrigerator. And not just on shore power but boondocking with one as well.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #227

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Bob, where is your evidence to back up this statement? I have no personal experience but have read with interest several people on this forum successfully operating a 12V only refrigerator. And not just on shore power but boondocking with one as well.
12v compressor type refrigerator consumes much less power than absorption type refrigerator (electric/LP, 2 or 3-way).
Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #228

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Evidence?

The original question was about buyers of new trailers and the list of RV builders installing all electric refrigerators is as about as long as my list of ex-wives.....

And none of my LP refrigerators use any 12VDC power

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #229

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
We picked up a new Scamp Lay Out 4 No front window no sink no water tank no stove no gray water tank but it has city water to the stool with black water tank under it. After 6 years we wanted counter space not things we due not use. We use dish pans to wash dishs and cook out side other than a toaster and micro. To each his or her own wants.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #230

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Bob, we've been using 12 volt only Danfoss compressor refrigerators for the last 3 years, and have done it with 100 watt solar panel or no panels at all (for 2 to 3 days) off the grid. We have used it in winter here in Arizona, and 3 months in the summer up the wet coast to Washington, then over to northern Idaho, and down to Colorado where you can wear out a thermometer as it rains, snows, hails, and is sunny in just a few hours. We have NEVER drained the group 27 battery down enough to hurt the battery or cause the refrigerator to automatically shut down when the battery reaches 50%. With our new set-up we have 200 watts and a much larger battery as we are now both retired and will be traveling much more, and may sometime have a week or more of bad weather.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #231

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I cook almost all of my meals inside, probably 90%. I enjoy using the microwave when on shore power and I think it's an important option to offer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #232

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
1. You really need space by the sink to wash dishes or prep food.

2. We cook inside about half the time. Usually just simple reheats or scrambled eggs.

3. We boon-dockers don't need no steenking microwaves! No idea about fridges, either

Following the Nest with great interest.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #233

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
#1: Extra counter space near the sink would be my choose.

Question #2:
About 30% - most breakfasts as well as the cook top for side dishes at dinner.

Question #3:
Have no idea re the 12 V Fridge. When off the grid I use the propane option on mine. Unless the fridge was *really* efficient 12 volt I would be concerned with having only a 12v fridge. I agree with the comment that although the fridge in the photo looks amazing I would not be happy giving up that much fridge space to the freezer section.

I do not have or really need a microwave.... but if space was available and I wasn't giving up much needed storage space it would be a nice option to consider.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #234

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
There is a pattern here :-)

#1 - Next to the sink for all the reasons stated
#2 - Just about 100% of the time with rare exceptions of campfire meat smoking/bbq.
#2a - No microwave for me, but the pre-wiring is a great option. (A real oven is an even better option) Maybe a cabinet that's lined so it is safe to use with a toaster oven? I personally would use that when I have hook ups.
#3 - Sorry, I am also a propane fan.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:07 AM   #235

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Based upon David B.'s experience when I need to replace our fridge I'd go with a 12 volt without freezer since the efficiency seems to be OK.

No Microwave.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #236

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Robert, was just wondering how your coming with the spare tire mounting ideas.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #237

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
More space near the sink. We use the sink far more than the cooktop, same as most of the replies above.
A cabinet prewired for a microwave or toaster oven would be fine. Ditto with others above, never use the microwave.
12v Danfoss compressor refrigerator would be great. I like the drawer models, personally.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #238

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
For those who like to cook both in and outdoors, we use a stainless steel BUTANE stove like the one below. Butane cannisters are available at many big box stores.

Maybe not for everyone but works fine for us and can be put away to make more counter space available.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #239

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink?

Sink we use the sink every day and since no water heater we boil water on the cook top when we need hot water. My pet peeve with the Scamp there is no provision to keep water on top of the cabinet. Sink is close to the bed with no berm on the top cabinet to keep water from running down the side where the bed is. Minor issue but it shouldn,t be that way.

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer? Almost none but when we do its usually with 120 volt using the new wave oven. No smell or mess in the trailer to clean up or worry about. Provide 120 volt close to the cabinet top. recess the cook top so with a flat cover you have much better counter space. we also use a cover over the sink.

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?)
No experience but if stuck with a 12 volt only refrigerator you best have a pre-wired complete plan for solar to accommodate it. I prefer to run with propane since most of our camping is with no hook-ups. This if properly planned for could be optional depending on customer purchase you just have to plan for it.

My Question #4 What are your plans for an awning over the back door? As I see it now you will be stuck using an easy-up to cover over the door. Too elegant a trailer for that. I picture a self contained roll-up much like window shades with a couple of side polls. Is a person needing to have 2 pop-ups one for the back and one for the side? Out here in the west we almost always put out our bag awning or easy-ups. Too much sun and most campgrounds don't have shade at every site.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #240

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Have had both 3 way (absorption) run primarily on propane and 12 volt compressor type before solar became common or affordable. The compressor type was pretty good, got cold faster, and switched automatically to using shore power if I was at a site that had it. But it did make a large demand on my battery bank so planning for how many amp hours of battery storage you need and solar panels to keep up should be a big part of your planning. Unless you over capacity your solar rig you might want to even think about a small generator otherwise you risk finding yourself with flat batteries and food getting warm or hauling a lot of solar capacity as insurance that won't happen.

Propane just worked and ran forever on a tank so for extended camping that would be my choice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote