Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #169

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Building continues... Our first "test" unit now has the major shell components "glued" together. And as you can see, the axle/wheel assembly and towing delta have also been bolted to the cabin. The trailer as you see it now weighs 860lbs. FG components still to come are the nosecone, wheel flares and entry door.
Robert, it is looking good! I do have a question about the "towing delta" and attachment to the structure. I have noticed a condition these past few months towing my old, but new to me Scamp 16. There seems to be a tendency of this single axle trailer to “bounce” or rock the back of the tow vehicle. I have noticed it particularly in some concrete highway conditions with regular joints in the pavement that sets up a harmonic bouncing condition that has to cause considerable stress to the towing delta or what I would call the “A” frame area of the trailer. This manifests itself in the form of cracks at about the point in the frame where it goes under the front shell of the Scamp, at least on mine it did. I wonder what steps you have taken to address this, if any. Things like attachment of the towing delta to stiffened points of the structural body, increasing the gauge of the tube steel used in the towing delta, etc. This may actually be less of a concern given the design and construction of the Nest, there may naturally be less flex in this area.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #170

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I think this engineering decision to not have a steel or aluminum chassis is very problematic. Regardless of computer models show this type of construction is OK, it will be interesting to see the results from some road testing. Does anyone build a trailer this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #171

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Ron, Robert mentioned the wiki, it's a good starting point to read up on the history.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #172

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
As someone who likes a lot of light, I like all the windows in the Nest, especially the big one in front. My only quibble would be that has to be some way to protect this wide span from rocks and other road hazards while towing. Where I live in Colorado, dings and cracks in our windshields are quite common. And this isn't a dirt road problem, it happens on highways everywhere.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #173

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
The hot rod folks clear wrap their cars, the front windshield section is a strong hardened acrylic. Might be an idea. One Youtube example is
"Wrapping Jay's McLaren P1 - Jay Leno's Garage"
Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #174

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
This sure is a fascinating thread. I agree with Tim, (post 169) and and Ron (170), the road stress is something that is always hard to predict and stuff into the modelling software. I hope the boys beat the living daylight out of the test bed and learn as much as possible. Thanks to their use of CAD CAM, they already eliminated any chance of wheel rub! I would recommend the sixteen miles of of access road to Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, or the 500 miles of gravel and rock on the Trans Labrador Highway, and the I80 across Illinois or Nebraska (not sure which is the one), that was recently "paved" with concrete and has those horrible waves (bumps) that Tim mentioned. Have some fun! Also, with those kinds of travels in mind, I am thinking of an aftermarket air deflector mounted on top, to keep dust from clinging to the back side and door. It might even reduce the air drag.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #175
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Thanks for your input, gents.

TWolf: I would guess that the action/reaction between tow and trailer varies widely from one set of conditions to the next. Smarter guys than I can weigh in on how size, weight, load, suspension, etc. might add stress to any fulcrum point in the frame. That said, most FG trailer frames are notoriously lightweight. Over time, they will break down.

RonM and PaulO: Our composite materials engineers — with broad monocoque construction experience from both the aviation and marine industries — assure us that our calculated lay-up schedule will provide the strength and integrity we need. Remember, we employ no chopper gun, old school construction. We're using the latest FG infusion methodologies and materials. Of course, we'll still put it through some very tough testing... Just give us a chance to show it can work!

TerryG: Good point about road debris. Though as you can see, the Nest's windshield sits at a significant slope and quite high, relative to a possible "spray" angle from the tow vehicle. Actually, a greater concern for us is damage to the lower shell body. We're considering "rock guard protection" options — trying to balance functionality and aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0679.JPG  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #176

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Good for you Robert Johans to consider those concerns. All I can tell you is I purchased a 1988 Scamp in 2001.. that made it 13 years old and it never had any kind of gravel guard (or anything else) to protect the front window. AND, I know my Scamp was towed thousands of miles every year (before I owned it) with ZERO problems to the front plexi window.

I'm betting you'll figure out what works best for the majority of Nest owners. You can't build something that suites 100% of ALL the owners.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #177

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I think this shell looks nicer than the Snoozy's.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #178

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
It should have more style, well more everything for that matter, it's going to be twice the price.

You could always have an option for a plexiglass shield like you'd get on an Airstream. Theirs is tinted and a fixed positioned thing you remove only to clean.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #179

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
More style? What units is style measured in? I thought it was kinda in the eye of the beholder.

I think it has more details in the shell then any other trailer I have seen.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #180

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I agree, Dave. This trailer has more style than most, and I think it is a real nice change.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #181

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Some styles are timeless and some transitory. Everyone who sees a Boler and it's copies says at least 'cute' and it's almost a half a century old.

As to broken RV windows, our most telling window experience was 3 months in Alaska. Every hit came from approaching traffic.

Crossing Labrador on what used to be a mostly dirt road, every front surface of our under our trailer was 'sand and stone blasted', no paint on those surfaces at the end of the trip.

Though we had extended our mud flaps the front of our painted aluminum trailer was significantly 'aluminum bright' behind each wheel right up the front of the trailer. For our next trip a more extensive stone reduction system. Fortunately most of the road is now paved.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #182

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
The sandblasting on those roads is quite significant, as I just noticed when jacking up the Scamp for its winter rest and looking at the axle.
The TLH is still a little less than half paved, although they are working on it like crazy. On our trip we had almost 500 miles of dirt in Labrador and Quebec. When all paved, it could be a good alternative route to Newfoundland.