Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #261

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
I'd consider a bare bones model. I would love to use my skills as a builder to design and layout the interior myself, and I can promise it wouldn't be a "Redneck Interior" either. But I do agree with Donna D. and have inquired to Robert about it as well. At this point he is sticking to his original plan to produce a high quality camper that is complete and ready to use right out of the gate. He has a vision about his invention and I applaud him for staying the course. It is a very unique concept & design and even though it will be priced a little out of my price range I still think it's one of the coolest new camper designs I've seen.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #262
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
The Nest will be offered with many customizable options, but not as an empty shell. The design and fit and finish of our interiors will be as much a part of our overall branding as our unique exterior.

We are unaware of any manufacturer that sells empty shells. If there are, I'd be very curious to learn how that option affects sales.

Please advise. Thanks!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #263

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Lil Snoozy sells an empty shell called the Lil Hauley.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #264

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
With most brands, the interior components are part of the structural integrity, usually helping to support the roof.

While the idea of an empty shell might be intriguing to some, I would bet this would represent and extremely small part of the customer base. Rebuilding an older unit would be the best way to go for most anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #265

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink?

In my 13' scamp I have a flip out cutting board in front of the sink. It has a groove around the edge so water is directed back into the sink. I mostly cook on it and then washing dishes everything just sort of piles up around the sink and on the stove.... So maybe sink space most important...

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer?

100% done inside the trailer. You absolutely need to provide a vent fan and a backsplash. I am partial to stainless steel since it is easy to clean unlike fiberglass. It also looks modern and clean. Vent fan could just be a mount for a computer fan by a window that opens right near the stove if you are anti putting in a more complete hood. I don't know what your inside height is, but it needs to be taller than scamp. Probably 6'2" or 6'3" would be nice.

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?)
No idea, but very curious which you choose since I keep getting tempted to put in a larger solar panel and a 12VDC fridge.

I bet that solar is a must have for a lot of people these days. I love the idea of 2" thick floor, that should make it well insulated. More windows, more better. Probably less important for most people I'd love an option to insulate the windows. I use velcro and reflectix panels, but a cleaner soluation would be really nice, or just double glazed low E windows or at least low E would make a huge difference. What are your plans for heat?
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #266

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The Nest will be offered with many customizable options, but not as an empty shell. The design and fit and finish of our interiors will be as much a part of our overall branding as our unique exterior.

We are unaware of any manufacturer that sells empty shells. If there are, I'd be very curious to learn how that option affects sales.

Please advise. Thanks!

I don't know of any that do presently but Burro's used to sell shells/kits. They advertised through popular mechanics magazine.
Perhaps this was near the end for one the businesses that produced them.?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #267
Commercial Member

Registry
Hello Kevin,

Yes, double insulated windows will be available as an option. As for heat, we're featuring the Alde Compact 3010. This provides both cabin heat and hot water. Very popular in Europe and recently available in North America. Now standard equipment on the T@B, the crazy cool Bowlus Road Chief, and others.

And solar panels will be integral to our package!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #268

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp has sold "blank slates" in the past... even without windows! I don't know if they still do. The blank slates came with the egress hatch, closet across from the door and extra sport around the door area. That's it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #269

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
given all the different opinions expressed here about what should and shouldn't be IN the trailer....you might think about maybe offering a bare bones model....kinda like a house sold at "lock-up" stage....just doors, windows, roof....obviously our version whould also include exterior cladding....it might be a way of generating some revenue earlier...as well as getting the product "out there" faster
Does Elon Musk sell a "bare bones" TESLA?
(I don't consider his $70K version to be "bare bones")
He started out with a 2 seat open roadster and grew the company from there. Not what I call a huge market segment, but it didn't have to be.

Can you get a "bare bones" OLIVER?
The "Sport" model was introduced after the "Elite" was successful.

The Nest has to be introduced as a complete package, with quality first and foremost. Robert will not compete successfully in the bargain basement; Scamp owns that market segment with their 40 year old design.

Just because I cannot afford a Nest does not mean it will fail. I like everything I have seen so far.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #270

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
WOW ! - Just found this thread today, and much enjoyed the several hours of digesting the entire contents. Many Kudos to Robert Johans for leading us through the entire process. I have a new appreciation for the development of a new FG unit. Although, with no previous experience in building (or renos), I've learned loads - Thanx
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #271

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Alde control panel is a further development of older Alde control panels
Alde introduces touch screen heating control panel | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #272

Registry
I have move all the posts discussing the SMEV products here. Feel free to visit and discuss these products
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nks-67418.html

I would like to remind everyone the purpose of this thread was to follow the build of the Nest Caravan, and the processes along the way. I would like to thank Robert Johans for allowing us to see this trailer develop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #273

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Lil Snoozy will take a build as far as the customer wants to go. I know because I sent them plans requesting one and was quoted accordingly. Could save thousands for someone like me who has the skills and experience to complete the interior, not to mention ending up with a camper that is exactly what I want & need for my taste. The exterior is what folks see unless one plans to constantly open their interior for tours. Personally I like my privacy. Just saying....
Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #274

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Robert: any updates (you are will to share with us) on how the interior is progressing?

Thanks
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #275
Commercial Member

Registry
We've been hard at work defining the interior. As you may know we will be featuring laminated "Euro-ply" for our furniture components. Ultimately these will be cut from a CNC machine. We are currently building and shaping templates/patterns for fit. These then will be used for digital plotting before the cutting on actual material begins.

The Alde Compact heating unit arrived on Wednesday. For our application, this system (with digital thermostat control) features about 15 feet of hydronic radiators, each of which will be hidden behind the cabinet components.

The mold for the shower enclosure is well underway. Proprietary hinges for our entry door are being fabricated. Our broad windshield gets installed on Monday. Insulation and interior wall covering is soon to come. In fact, the punch list is still quite long, but we are making big progress.

As you can imagine, we have run into some snags along the way, but we are resolving each issue without too much compromise to either functionality or aesthetics.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #276

Registry
Thanks for the update, Robert. I can only imagine the trial and error, along with plain old head scratching, you must be going through with this prototype. You can't rush perfection.

Hope you are getting lots of family time in over the holidays.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #277

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I've been "away" for a while. Without going through all 20 previous pages, is there a floor plan posted anywhere on here yet? I'm having a hard time visualizing all of the features in place.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #278

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Charlie, spend some time checking out previous pages. Don't make others do the work for you, you'll find it enlightning!

Good for you Robert, so many of us are following this thread!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #279

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Donna D. I started at Page 20 and went all the way back to Page 1... I had been keeping up with all of them until about page 17 anyway. Final result; I still have not found the floor plan which is what I asked for. Now that the interior components are being cut and fit, there must surely be a master floor plan so they know where all these pieces will go. I saw the photographs of the empty tub, some shots that partially show sections of the interior, but nothing to fit it all together. Maybe I missed something, but I bet there is a simple floor plan available somewhere. Maybe I'm being lazy, but that's the way I best visualize the final product as a whole.

Charlie, the Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #280

Name: Bob
Trailer: Nest??
California
Thanks for the update Robert, and best wishes to you and yours for the holidays.

Frog - Robert pulled the original website, as it sounds like the design, components, and layout are all in flux. That said, you can check out the original vision here:
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Caveat emptor - this is archived content and clearly is subject to change.
mtnwater is offline   Reply With Quote