Nest Caravans Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #225
Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Hey Robert

Q1. More space by the sink. Need room for dishes before they are washed and after.
Q2. We do about 10% of the cooking inside the trailer. Mostly liquids - soup, pasta, boiling water, etc.
Q3. That refrigerator looks amazing. I have a 12V DC Nova Kool unit with a 120watt solar panel set up that works perfect.

Here are a couple of photos of my galley. The glass top Smev sink and stove are great for additional counter top space (sink still needs to be installed but have had the stove for a full season). I have also added a counter top extension on the right side of the galley for more space.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG   Counter.JPG  

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #226
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
3. A 2 way (LP/120VAC) refrigerator trumps the best electric only refrigerator. An electric only refrigerator will be a negative for any that boondock.
Bob, where is your evidence to back up this statement? I have no personal experience but have read with interest several people on this forum successfully operating a 12V only refrigerator. And not just on shore power but boondocking with one as well.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #227
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Bob, where is your evidence to back up this statement? I have no personal experience but have read with interest several people on this forum successfully operating a 12V only refrigerator. And not just on shore power but boondocking with one as well.
12v compressor type refrigerator consumes much less power than absorption type refrigerator (electric/LP, 2 or 3-way).
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #228
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II

The original question was about buyers of new trailers and the list of RV builders installing all electric refrigerators is as about as long as my list of ex-wives.....

And none of my LP refrigerators use any 12VDC power
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #229
Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
We picked up a new Scamp Lay Out 4 No front window no sink no water tank no stove no gray water tank but it has city water to the stool with black water tank under it. After 6 years we wanted counter space not things we due not use. We use dish pans to wash dishs and cook out side other than a toaster and micro. To each his or her own wants.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #230
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Bob, we've been using 12 volt only Danfoss compressor refrigerators for the last 3 years, and have done it with 100 watt solar panel or no panels at all (for 2 to 3 days) off the grid. We have used it in winter here in Arizona, and 3 months in the summer up the wet coast to Washington, then over to northern Idaho, and down to Colorado where you can wear out a thermometer as it rains, snows, hails, and is sunny in just a few hours. We have NEVER drained the group 27 battery down enough to hurt the battery or cause the refrigerator to automatically shut down when the battery reaches 50%. With our new set-up we have 200 watts and a much larger battery as we are now both retired and will be traveling much more, and may sometime have a week or more of bad weather.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #231
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I cook almost all of my meals inside, probably 90%. I enjoy using the microwave when on shore power and I think it's an important option to offer.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #232
Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
1. You really need space by the sink to wash dishes or prep food.

2. We cook inside about half the time. Usually just simple reheats or scrambled eggs.

3. We boon-dockers don't need no steenking microwaves! No idea about fridges, either

Following the Nest with great interest.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #233
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
#1: Extra counter space near the sink would be my choose.

Question #2:
About 30% - most breakfasts as well as the cook top for side dishes at dinner.

Question #3:
Have no idea re the 12 V Fridge. When off the grid I use the propane option on mine. Unless the fridge was *really* efficient 12 volt I would be concerned with having only a 12v fridge. I agree with the comment that although the fridge in the photo looks amazing I would not be happy giving up that much fridge space to the freezer section.

I do not have or really need a microwave.... but if space was available and I wasn't giving up much needed storage space it would be a nice option to consider.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #234
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
There is a pattern here :-)

#1 - Next to the sink for all the reasons stated
#2 - Just about 100% of the time with rare exceptions of campfire meat smoking/bbq.
#2a - No microwave for me, but the pre-wiring is a great option. (A real oven is an even better option) Maybe a cabinet that's lined so it is safe to use with a toaster oven? I personally would use that when I have hook ups.
#3 - Sorry, I am also a propane fan.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #235
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Based upon David B.'s experience when I need to replace our fridge I'd go with a 12 volt without freezer since the efficiency seems to be OK.

No Microwave.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #236
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Robert, was just wondering how your coming with the spare tire mounting ideas.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #237
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
More space near the sink. We use the sink far more than the cooktop, same as most of the replies above.
A cabinet prewired for a microwave or toaster oven would be fine. Ditto with others above, never use the microwave.
12v Danfoss compressor refrigerator would be great. I like the drawer models, personally.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #238
Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
For those who like to cook both in and outdoors, we use a stainless steel BUTANE stove like the one below. Butane cannisters are available at many big box stores.

Maybe not for everyone but works fine for us and can be put away to make more counter space available.

Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote