Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #253

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
There is one on Panther RV products, but the stove is e/w rather than n/s. NO cover:
Panther RV Products

Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #254
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Thanks everybody. Really appreciate the feedback.

Jim, about the Fulton jack: I'll take a look, but because the jack and coupler are "mated" I believe the orientation is set as shown.

About the SMEV (now Dometic) products: Nest Caravans is an authorized Dometic reseller. Consequently, we have discovered that the product line is much more extensive in the international marketplace, but curiously, very limited here in the US.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #255

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
With the front windshield being proprietary, it will only be available from that one manufacturer correct?

Second, will it be glass or a polycarb type like some aircraft?

Last, about how much, approx, general ballpark, would a front replacement cost being a one off, if a customer had an angry rock head up that way? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #256
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Hi Ken, the Nest will come standard with all the latest RV technology, including force field protection from Van Allen Engineering. Unique to the industry, Van Allen Belts thwart incoming projectiles as well as those pesky gamma rays.

Seriously, we can't know what replacement units cost until we get into ordering quantities. Since we are still getting the prototypes together, our initial expenses for the windshields (including necessary tooling) is obviously a lot more than when we're in production and able to order several at a time. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #257

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
lock-up....

given all the different opinions expressed here about what should and shouldn't be IN the trailer....you might think about maybe offering a bare bones model....kinda like a house sold at "lock-up" stage....just doors, windows, roof....obviously our version whould also include exterior cladding....it might be a way of generating some revenue earlier...as well as getting the product "out there" faster

a new owner could park your beautiful trailer in his driveway and spend a year (or two) putting exactly what he wants in it....
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #258

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
given all the different opinions expressed here about what should and shouldn't be IN the trailer....you might think about maybe offering a bare bones model....kinda like a house sold at "lock-up" stage....just doors, windows, roof....obviously our version whould also include exterior cladding....it might be a way of generating some revenue earlier...as well as getting the product "out there" faster

a new owner could park your beautiful trailer in his driveway and spend a year (or two) putting exactly what he wants in it....

That's not a bad idea at all
Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 AM   #259

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

I can see where that would be a great idea down the line. We all know everyone has different levels of skills. Some are absolutely stellar.. others more "duct tape." Since Robert will be concerned about the reputation of his trailer manufacturing, it's doubtful he'd be willing to sell blanks right away. No way, he'd want someone to see this fabulous trailer with a Redneck interior and think it came from the factory that way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #260

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
"No way, he'd want someone to see this fabulous trailer with a Redneck interior"

the other side of that coin would be that he completed/sold three or four "perfect, fabulous" trailers and ran out of money.....it's not like THAT has never happened before

finished, this trailer will retail for what??? 30K (?)....a bare bones version would still be a big chunk of change....I doubt that somebody that put out that amount of money could live with a plywood interior and a five gallon bucket for a head.....that might be true of somebody that picks up an old shell for a couple of grand....but hard to imagine in this situation....IMO anyway

one caveat could be "canabalizing" future sales....but given the price differential of fully completed to bare bones version we might be talking about two seperate, different markets entirely (ie the bare bones customer would never have considered buying a fully completed one in the first place...either because of price or equipment/lay-out not to his liking/preferences)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #261

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
I'd consider a bare bones model. I would love to use my skills as a builder to design and layout the interior myself, and I can promise it wouldn't be a "Redneck Interior" either. But I do agree with Donna D. and have inquired to Robert about it as well. At this point he is sticking to his original plan to produce a high quality camper that is complete and ready to use right out of the gate. He has a vision about his invention and I applaud him for staying the course. It is a very unique concept & design and even though it will be priced a little out of my price range I still think it's one of the coolest new camper designs I've seen.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #262
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
The Nest will be offered with many customizable options, but not as an empty shell. The design and fit and finish of our interiors will be as much a part of our overall branding as our unique exterior.

We are unaware of any manufacturer that sells empty shells. If there are, I'd be very curious to learn how that option affects sales.

Please advise. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #263

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Lil Snoozy sells an empty shell called the Lil Hauley.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #264

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
With most brands, the interior components are part of the structural integrity, usually helping to support the roof.

While the idea of an empty shell might be intriguing to some, I would bet this would represent and extremely small part of the customer base. Rebuilding an older unit would be the best way to go for most anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #265

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink?

In my 13' scamp I have a flip out cutting board in front of the sink. It has a groove around the edge so water is directed back into the sink. I mostly cook on it and then washing dishes everything just sort of piles up around the sink and on the stove.... So maybe sink space most important...

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer?

100% done inside the trailer. You absolutely need to provide a vent fan and a backsplash. I am partial to stainless steel since it is easy to clean unlike fiberglass. It also looks modern and clean. Vent fan could just be a mount for a computer fan by a window that opens right near the stove if you are anti putting in a more complete hood. I don't know what your inside height is, but it needs to be taller than scamp. Probably 6'2" or 6'3" would be nice.

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?)
No idea, but very curious which you choose since I keep getting tempted to put in a larger solar panel and a 12VDC fridge.

I bet that solar is a must have for a lot of people these days. I love the idea of 2" thick floor, that should make it well insulated. More windows, more better. Probably less important for most people I'd love an option to insulate the windows. I use velcro and reflectix panels, but a cleaner soluation would be really nice, or just double glazed low E windows or at least low E would make a huge difference. What are your plans for heat?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #266

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The Nest will be offered with many customizable options, but not as an empty shell. The design and fit and finish of our interiors will be as much a part of our overall branding as our unique exterior.

We are unaware of any manufacturer that sells empty shells. If there are, I'd be very curious to learn how that option affects sales.

Please advise. Thanks!

I don't know of any that do presently but Burro's used to sell shells/kits. They advertised through popular mechanics magazine.
Perhaps this was near the end for one the businesses that produced them.?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote