Nest Caravans Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 22 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #295

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't know about other Hunter and Campster owners, but a new strip of 1/2" x 1/2" foam, self sticking, weather stripping foam has kept the dust out of my rear door Hunter for almost three years.

No so lucky on the 2002 13' scamp though, most of which seem to have a door that, after a few years, no longer fits at the bottom.

Just to say, done right, a rear door shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #296

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I don't know about others but My Snoozy has a rear door that does not leak dust or water.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #297

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fine dust gets in.

We drove the Trans Labrador Highway (at the time a 1,000 miles of dirt road) and it was not a surprise to find dust in our trailer every day, What did surprise us was dust in our Honda CRV. For months after getting home when you washed the CRV there would be little dust trails around the door handles and the like.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #298

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
My truck camper had a rear door that did not leak dust or water. But had plenty of rock chips on the front windshield which is why I was asking about the Nest proprietary front window.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #299

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
We were shaking dust out of the Scamp for a while after one of those days in Labrador when the rear sliding window ended up open a few inches. I do not know if the latch was not closed when we started out, or the excessive flexing and shaking forced it to open. The next time I need to look at it at every driving break or pit stop. And yes, that dust gets everywhere and it sticks by static electricity pretty well!
Maybe another application for the duct tape.
Happy New Year, Norm!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #300

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Front windows are very vulnerable on rough roads from on coming traffic.

When we went drove to Alaska we had a number of front window hits on the motorhome from on coming traffic. In Alaska is was mostly a problem in construction zones.

Based upon the Alaska experience, in Labrador whenever we saw on coming traffic approaching we just pulled over to the right and waited for them to pass. You could see them coming for miles. On the longest stretch that only meant pulling over 4 times, not much traffic. (Now a good percentage of the road is paved and it's probably less of a problem in Labrador.)

One thing we did for both Alaska and Labrador (not a Scamp) was to put blue foam on the motorhome's exposed gas tank and the trailer's exposed grey tank to protect them from stone hits. The foam was peppered by the time we reached home.

On motor homes many people cover their head lights and the lower portion of their front window with mylar tape.

Based upon my experience on a long gravel road the trailer's front, with ot without window, need to be protected on a gravel road. We paing all surfaces under the trailer and on the Trans Labrador all had their paint beaten off leading surfaces. Actually our trailer front was painted aluminum and a fair part of the front had missing paint as well.

Paul, thanks for the kind words.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #301

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I drive nearly 100% on paved roads but have never had a water or dust leak on the Snoozy's rear door.

The rear door enabled us to easily put two full size bikes in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #302

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
This looks like a great trailer. I like the rear door very much as well as modern composite construction. I believe there will be a market for a high end fiberglass trailer built with high spec components instead of the common RV industry junk.

As far as price, I bet I've got nearly $25k in my Snoozy and it's certainly not at the NEST level.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
You may have just invented their new company slogan! "Take your camping to the Nest level". Hope you win something!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #303

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
You may have just invented their new company slogan! "Take your camping to the Nest level". Hope you win something!

That REALLY works, I like it.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #304
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Funny! We just met with our advertising agency yesterday to discuss taglines, etc. I'll pass this idea on.

With so much acute attention to the actual physical build, it's easy to forget about the marketing calendar and promotion necessities that must be ready to roll out at the same time as the actual product.

Current "head scratcher" is determining a name for our first model that is, one separate from our company name. Or, if one is even necessary... We've learned that finding/creating an interesting, compelling, and appropriate name that hasn't been used on some other product is near impossible.

Anybody got a great idea for a model name? Send me a private note!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #305
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
BTW, about the back entry door and a good seal... Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway:

No problem. Guaranteed.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #306

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Maybe go with a bird name? Falcon, Tern (long distance traveler), Robin....
Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #307

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
How about a specific name just for Nest Caravan #001 like, "One (Flew Over the Coocoo's) Nest"? There's at least a triple-entendre there!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #308

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Robert, An on-line thesaurus lists several synonyms for "nest" that you could consider for naming this first model and then subsequent models such as: den, refuge, haunt, lair, roost, hideaway, burrow, etc. If you want to go with related bird themes, something like "Fledgling" or "FirstFlight" might be fitting for this first model. I think the name "Millennium Falcon" has already been taken. Dale